Happy Birthday Marines

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
A happy 229th to all of you who have worn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

May our future be as colorful as our past. Thanks to any of you who have sacrificed time with your families and friends to serve our country abroad and a special thanks to those families and friends who kept the homefires lit and who make our nation worthy of your sacrifices.

Semper Fi!
Shawn

Semper Fidelis!

Sgt Stringer
USMC 1989 - 2002
2nd Battalion 3rd Marines
3rd Recon Battalion
2nd Force Recon
3rd Force Recon

From the shores of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli

Happy Birthday Marines!

Happy Birthday Marines.

One of the most famous Marine customs is the observance of the Marine Corps Birthday. Since 1921 the birthday of the Marine Corps has been officially celebrated each year on 10 November, since it was on this date in 1775 that Continental Congress resolved, "That two Battalions of Marines be raised...." Over the years the Marine Corps Birthday has been celebrated in a wide variety of ways, depending on the location and circumstances of the Marine units. The celebration involves the reading of an excerpt from the Marine Corps Manual and a birthday message from the Commandant; the cutting of a birthday cake by the commanding officer; and the presentation of the first and second pieces of cake to the oldest and youngest Marines present. Recently, the ceremony for the observance of the Marine Corps Birthday by large posts and stations has been incorporated into written directives.
-----------------------------------------------

Marines have been in the forefront of every American war since the founding of the Corps. They entered the Revolution in 1775, even before the Declaration of Independence was signed. On November 10, 1775, the Second Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia, adopted a secret resolution that formally established a military organization whose fame and tradition was destined to achieve prominence in the annals of American warfare. The resolution reads:

"Resolved--That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one colonel, two lieutenant colonels, two majors and officers as usual in other regiments; That they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to office or inlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with Maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea, when required. That they be inlisted and commissioned for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress: That they be distinguished by the names of the 1st and 2d Battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered as part of the number, which the continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of."

-------------------------------------------------------

The term, "Leatherneck" derives from the late 1700's when Marines wore a leather strap around their necks for protection. (In the Philipines specifically I think)

In combat Marines NEVER leave wounded comrades behind.

Marine sergeants and Corporals are the only NCOs in the U.S. Armed Forces to have the privilege of carrying swords on ceremonial occasions.

The Marine Corps March, "Semper Fidelis" by J.P. Sousa, is the only military march authorized by Congress.

The Marine Hymn is the oldest official anthem of any U.S. military service.

In the US Navy, when "Abandon Ship" is ordered, the last person to leave the vessel before the captain is his Marine orderly.

---------------------------------------------------------

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918.)

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." (Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)

"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?" (Attributed to Gunnery Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood, June 1918.)

---------------------------------------------------------
The Marine Corps gives you something that no amount of money could ever buy -- an unshakable tradition; an unbreakable value system; an incomparable life.

No other serviceperson "lives" their service like a Marine. A Marine is a Marine 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, rain, shine, leave, weekends, and holidays. Even a Marine's civilian clothing wear is restricted, on or off duty, on or off base, on or off leave. As the regulation says, "Marines may well be associated and identified with the Marine Corps even when not wearing a uniform. Therefore when civilian clothing is worn, Marines will ensure that their dress and personal appearance are conservative and commensurate with the high standards traditionally associated with the Marine Corps. No eccentricities of dress will be permitted."

Man I grew up on this stuff... Whole family of Jarheads...
Grandpa used to Birthday Parties, Uncles and Dad all Marine Corps... Man lemme tell ya what a dissapointment I was...

MarineCorpsFlag.gif
Semper Fi.

MarineM60.jpg

From Leatherneck Magazine

The Commandant of the Marine Corps'

2004 Birthday Message

bdm.com

Two hundred and twenty-nine years ago, the Second Continental Congress established a Corps of Marines to fight for a democratic people's independence. Since then countless Marines have raised their hand and sworn to defend our Nation's freedoms and preserve its liberties. This year's anniversary again finds Marines engaged throughout the globe for the same noble purposes. The bravery, heroism and selflessness of all Marines—wherever they are serving—have added significantly to our rich legacy and measured up to the high standards that have come to epitomize all who wear the eagle, globe and anchor.

The current battlefields of the global war on terror are linked to the storied campaigns of our past by an unbroken tradition of proud and loyal service. At New Providence, Chapultepec, Belleau Wood, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, the Chosin Reservoir, Con Thien, Kuwait and now in places like Fallujah, Marines have consistently demonstrated a dedication to duty, a commitment to warfighting excellence, and a devotion to each other that has instilled a fierce determination to overcome seemingly impossible challenges. Our warrior ethos is and will continue to be the Corps' hallmark.

The fortitude and sacrifices of Marines and their families have been vital in protecting our Nation from those who would do us harm. Whether preparing and sustaining our agile force or engaged in battle, the esprit de corps, tireless energy, calm courage and inspired leadership of Marines continue to make a monumental difference in this world. Your unselfish dedication and significant accomplishments—demonstrated repeatedly over this past year in numerous places such as the Anbar province of Iraq, Afghanistan, the Horn of Africa, Haiti and in the crucial job here at home supporting our deployed forces—are deeply respected and valued by your fellow Americans.

Marines, as we celebrate with friends and families the founding of our beloved Corps, you should take pride in our long history of distinguished service to this great Nation and its citizens. I ask you to remember especially the sacrifices of our fallen and wounded comrades. Finally, rededicate yourselves to taking care of one another and ensuring we remain the finest warfighting organization in the world.

Happy Birthday, Marines. Semper Fidelis, and Keep Attacking!

M. W. Hagee
General, U.S. Marine Corps

For all -
The large photo is a testament to my over developed sense of self-importance.

Remember, we Marines do not hold the high ground - we are the high ground.

Errr.

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100122197 -->

In case annyone doesnt understand what being a Marine is about, or how close Marines are, or why Marines are feared, keep one thing in mind.

The United States Marine Corps was establihed in a pub. - Tun Tavern PA

super.gif

Semper Fidelis Tufelhundens......
super.gif

Happy B-day to all present and former....
beerchug.gif

Definitely have some great memories and made some life long friends. I can not believe I've been out for 5 years to the day already....

Be safe all and God Bless......

Former Sgt Pescasio

Happy Birthday you J-heads........................we had our cake at work today to celebrate!!!!!
smile.gif

btw.......1k posts for me!!!!
biggrin.gif

here's a couple of USMC pics for ya:
The young Sgt. Stringer... Portugal 1995
Domain Gone

...at our wedding: Sarp on the left, me center, Steve on the right.
Domain Gone

Back