Hanging with the Hayabusa

missilelike

Donating Member
Registered
My buddy just bought a 05 R1. We went out to a undisclosed place in the desert and raced. He kept up with me in all six gears whats up with this? My speedo was pegged at the 185 mark. any ideas.

Currents R1's are fast period.....

Nothing wrong with your bike, current liter bikes have finally caught up. Hope '06 get's a slight boost in power to seperate it from those pesky bugs..
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|ICEMAN PR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125466775 -->

Now that I am done laughing.

If an R1 DID keep up in all six gears, when it is done and over with, I would feel safer at those speeds on a Busa than I would any other bike.

Heavier, more aerodynamic, better stability.

If you hit a rabbit doing 185 on the busa, you will crush it and keep going.

if you hit a rabbit on an R1 doing 185 (if the R1 will do that) it will probably launch you into the air.

Glad you and your friend had fun though. because that is what it is all about. just having fun and riding what you enjoy riding.

Get a full exhaust, power commander, and try the airbox mod. You will gain hp/ torque, drop a reasonable amount of weight and should be much faster. R1 is a nice ride, but I wouldnt consider riding one instead of the Busa.

Also might want to consider both of your fully geared up weight, riding ability, tire pressure. Maybe your plugs are fouled, airfilter could be dirty, or numerous other things. When you watch N.S.'s video where they race several Busa's (stock, piped, turbo) against a turbo viper, the differences between stock and the bike running a pipe is quite drastic in my opinion.

when it is done and over with, I would feel safer at those speeds on a Busa than I would any other bike.

Heavier, more aerodynamic, better stability.
Yep, the R1 rider has to put his ass on the line in a way bigger than the Busa owner does if your doing high speed runs on the streets.

if you hit a rabbit on an R1 doing 185 (if the R1 will do that) it will probably launch you into the air.
[/QUOTE]
If you panic and swerve - you stand a better chance of regaining control with a lighter motorcycle than a heavier one.

If you slam into another vehicle or solid object - your momentum is always less with a lighter vehicle than a heavier vehicle - speed is the same.

It is easier to stop a lighter vehicle than a heavier vehicle.

If you panic and swerve - you stand a better chance of regaining control with a lighter motorcycle than a heavier one.

If you slam into another vehicle or solid object - your momentum is always less with a lighter vehicle than a heavier vehicle - speed is the same.

It is easier to stop a lighter vehicle than a heavier vehicle.[/QUOTE]
Einstine has a point...
wink.gif

It is easier to stop a lighter vehicle than a heavier vehicle.[/QUOTE]
@ 160+ MPH you cant panic and swerve on a Busa..at least not by much. And if you panic and swerve on an R1 then you are probably a noob and also deathgripping the bars so its not likely youll be able to recover from anything very well.

If you slam into an object @ 50 much less 150 it wont matter what bike you are on..

Stopping, yep..the R1 stops faster, it also has sharper brakes which will lock up the front tire very easily , miss seeing that oil spot did you?

He kept up with me in all six gears whats up with this? My speedo was pegged at the 185 mark. any ideas.
They are fast bikes maybe ?  
biggrin.gif

Seriously , I have posted before about the speed potential the 04 and 05 R1's have . Max torque is at 10k rpm for a stock bike .

Do they have enough wind-slip to to go high 190's with a little help from a 40hp shot ? I don't know enough about them but have rode one and that underdog hit pretty good along with being a fun ride . They trap @ 147 through the 1/4 and are just getting in stride .

A UK magazine had one at 186mph and it was still pulling until they run out of road . I'd say they are top-end bullets that are flying under the radar because of the K5's dominance on the race tracks .

Back