Hands go numb?

BusaBill

Donating Member
Registered
I haven't been riding since my bike got stolen but I've been thinking about it everyday and looking for another bike. Been tossing the idea of a cruiser around, maybe a vmax or the m109r. Point is, I was thinking about pros and cons of each and I remember my hands used to go numb sometimes while riding the 'busa. Wasn't sure if it was circulation due to riding position or the pinched nerves in my back or what but I used to have to shake my hands out at stop lights so I could feel the controls again.

Anybody else have that happen?

used to happen to me all the time till I trained my lower back and stomach muscles to support my weight instead of my wrists.  now no more numbness.

(fsusux @ Jun. 19 2007,19:18) used to happen to me all the time till I trained my lower back and stomach muscles to support my weight instead of my wrists.  now no more numbness.
+1. You are leaning on the bars too much. You should be carring your weight on your legs, back, and abdomen.

That's the problem, I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back.
crazy.gif

Yup, it still happens to me.

Haven't had the Busa that long, so still trying to get used to the riding position (I used to own a cruiser).

Elbows hurt & wrists/hands tend to go numb ... just gotta get used to it i guess.
biggrin.gif

Long road trip coming up, so better get my body trained for that one.
tounge.gif

Leaning on my tankbag cured mine. But, without it, I have the same problem. I thought the 1.25 Genmar would help the hands also but I still have to use the tank bag. The Genmar sure helps the neck though.

Oh, and the cruisers are tough on the shoulders. Hard to ride one more then 30 miles. Me anyway.
I'm good for a couple hundred miles on the Busa before I need a stretch.

I know the answer to your problems. I had the same trouble, and put a hard backpack called a speed pac on the tank. I was able to lay on it very comfortably, over the tank. I held a full tuck for close to all 2600 km I put on last week because of the speed pac. I went without this week, and regretted it immediately.
I had no numbness, tingling, was totally comfortable.

I am not a little guy either, 6'6 and 340.

Ebay or http://www.speed-pac.com

I have seen them in 2 of my 225 dealers.

pac_speed_20.JPG

One other thing that really helps is one of those palm rest that clamp to your throttle. Lots of different brands, don't remember which one I have but it is the smallest I have seen and soft rubber.
I loaned mine out and first ride without it caused my hands to get tired.

(BusaBill @ Jun. 19 2007,17:14) I haven't been riding since my bike got stolen but I've been thinking about it everyday and looking for another bike.  Been tossing the idea of a cruiser around, maybe a vmax or the m109r.  Point is, I was thinking about pros and cons of each and I remember my hands used to go numb sometimes while riding the 'busa.  Wasn't sure if it was circulation due to riding position or the pinched nerves in my back or what but I used to have to shake my hands out at stop lights so I could feel the controls again.

Busa Bill, I have had back surgery twice! My hands and elbows both were going numb and tingling! Squeeze that tank with your knees, buy a Tobin if you don't already, get gel grips good quiality and padded gloves. All this put the fun right back into riding! The lower seat position which is about two inch's took most of the pressure off my wrists. Hope this helps bro...
beerchug.gif

Risers cured all that for me . You might want to consider that option. An inch and a quarter makes all the difference in the world.

(BusaBill @ Jun. 19 2007,20:14) I haven't been riding since my bike got stolen but I've been thinking about it everyday and looking for another bike. Been tossing the idea of a cruiser around, maybe a vmax or the m109r. Point is, I was thinking about pros and cons of each and I remember my hands used to go numb sometimes while riding the 'busa. Wasn't sure if it was circulation due to riding position or the pinched nerves in my back or what but I used to have to shake my hands out at stop lights so I could feel the controls again.

Only when riding at speeds less than 90 MPH
eek2.gif

+1 on keeping your weight off your hands. Gotta use those stomach muscles to support your weight.

Better riding habit anyway. If you keep your arms and hands relaxed, it's a helluva lot easier to keep your riding smooth and controlled AND easier to react to emergency situations.

--Wag--

did I misunderstand you, you don't have the Busa no more wright ?

this happens to me when my wife rides with me ! she lays on me, so I'm supporting my wieght, plus hers !!!!

Then one day comming down a steep hill, and hard on the breaks, to a sudden stop, she had to push herself back on her seat. Well an older couple were pulling up behind us on a 14, and the lady on the back told my wife to put her arms around me (which is how she always held on) but instead of the death grip place her hands on the gas tank(palms down) to support her wieght when stopping.

My wife loves this way !!!!! said she feels more stable.

now I can't even tell she's back there when comming to a quick stop !!!

GOT TO LOVE THE ONES WHO HAVE BEEN RIDING FOR ALL THESE YEARS !!! TONS OF KNOW HOW !!!

Neck vertebrae compression, and shoulder joint pinch......I have damage, but I figured out how to fix it..........I bend my arms and drop my body a little closer to the tank......creates gap.......Buy another BUSSAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 on the "get your weight off your hands". I also have lower back problems, but your muscles will get stronger the more you try. I also added 1 1/4 inch Genmar risers, it helps, since there is less of a forward lean.

I have an L5 HERNIATION with a tear and a C7 herniation,my hands went numb in the begining of the season so i got a vortex adjustable rear set and set it low and forward this put me in a more upright position at normal driving speeds and took the pressure off my hands,i dont really have any more numbness problems and when i am at higher speeds im laying on the tank and my hands are loose and not supporting me.

I have stompgrip pads on my tank. They make it very easy to grip w/ your legs & you won't slide forward. No they don't hurt w/ jeans on.

Have any of you all tried the kidney and back support belts when ridding. Just go to wal-mart and buy the soft lifting belt, it all the same. Its great for long hauls

(FastanStrong @ Jun. 20 2007,08:56) Have any of you all tried the kidney and back support belts when ridding. Just go to wal-mart and buy the soft lifting belt, it all the same. Its great for long hauls
Hmmm. No I haven't. I do have several braces from the Doc, ranging from minimal support to full on hard plastic..... maybe I should try them and see which helps the most.

Back