Hands go numb

OB_FalconCOP161

Registered
Mine also, I went up one tooth in the rear and the vibration got worse. May go back to stock Sprocket.
Harley makes a Fingerless Gel Glove but it's up to you if a fingerless glove is right for you,in those Hot summer days and if you're not thrashing around, they work pretty good.

161 ®

'lantabusa: I have the full fingered but perforated Olympia gel gloves, they're just fine in the summer.

Contact Wyn at the email addy I gave ya. He'll send you .jpgs of his work, he fabricates all kinds of stuff from billet aluminum and carbon fiber. Unless you just want the Brand Name recognition of the Gen mars, my risers are as good as those.

I tried the gel gloves right after I bought the bike, helped a little but still get numb pretty quick. Its a little hard to pull wheelies when your hands are numb ! Oh well maybe I will change the grips. not to go off topic but what is with the oil filter ? I thought I was going to strip the threads trying to get that thing on there with out leaking. I know the manual says two turns but it seems a little much. Thanks all

Frank (carabusa)

My old GS1000 Kat is one of the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever been on, my back wrists and knees ache just looking at it.
I have gel gloves but the thick gel layer is kind of annoying.
what I learned to do is let the vibes work for me, (a little harder on the hayabusa cause it doesnt buzz 1/10 as much)
I relax a couple of fingers and cover the clutch and brake for a while and let the tingle in the bars through the levers massage some life back into my hands.
In my Kat it works wonders, gets the blood flowing again in 30 seconds my hands are fine. On the busa its tricky I need to hunt a little for the best vibes.

L8r

You guys are lucky you never rode a GSXR1100 on long trips. The thing is a massage machine. The vibration is the worst. A little num you say?.. with the 1100 you loose feeling in your hands and in the family jewels :)

Three things help.

Olympia gel gloves. Most dealers and catalogs.

Foam grips. Same source.

One inch billet aluminum riser under the Yoke cover lets you sit up a few degrees less lean angle. contact Wyn Beloruski rzvwyn@aol.com

Me, too. I have the gel gloves but they're too hot in summer, looking for someone who sells genmar risers online, anyone know?

on long rides over 1 hour+,I lean more on the tank for support(lay down at higher speeds);this not only cures my hand,wrist problem,it also takes me out of the windstream.This works better for me without a tank bag also,because I am so out of the wind(even on a busa) that I can sometimes only tell I am fighting a head wind by the decrease in mpg.I have to be carefull on long rides because I tend to get so far away from the bars that I start to fall asleep,and or I start holding on to something else(mirrors,break reservoir,etc);this is not good either in a crunch.Just got back an hour ago from a 200 miler on my R1100RS;my hands were numb,wrists were sore and cramped, from sitting up the whole time.

going numb:

check posts above then consider this:

you should be able to be in full control of the bike with minimal grip to almost no grip on the clip ons;
this is achieved best by:
unweighting your body;
use the balls of your feet, when you can;
use abdominal wall muscles;
use hip, theigh buttocks muscles;
for turning unweight opposite side of turn and down weight desired turn (press down on the foot peg for the direction of turn), also put knee out in the direction of turn with slight lean;
be gentle with the grip and put no weight on the wrist;

theoretically one can steer with the body, knees with minimal input with the hands-wrists;

have fun!!!

In addition to foam grips, gel gloves, and a throttle lock:
- Make sure your levers are adjusted properly. Your wrists should be straight when you reach for the brake/clutch.
- Leave your elbows slack, grip loose, and wrists straight.
- Leave very little weight on your wrists. Use your back, and the wind above 50mph to support your weight.

If that doesn't do it, buy a Harley, and let the engine massage your hands.

Most likely your hands are going numb because you have too much weight on them and your wrists.

Gloves, gel or no, are an attempt to address the symptom rather than the cause.At the least, thick gloves are clumsy and hot.

The cure is to raise your riding position, and the GenMars or equivalent are a step in the right direction. Heli bars give about twice as much lift as the GenMars, and help even more. I run the GenMars under the Helis, and that really solved the problem. That required a little extra work, but it's worth it if you have the problem.

It's all in the archives. Look under Heli bars.

jeffw and slowhand have it. It happens to me as well (actualy only my RT hand) and what I do is once the hand starts feeling numb I just use my fingertips for control and in a short while your hand will be as good as new.
I'm going to try some of the long term fixes. I just thought it was normal.

I agree with AQUA, use your legs and abs to support your torso, minimizing
the weight placed on your wrists! Also,
helibars help. 2 busas live here and the one with helibars is a bit more comfortable on long runs! Now if Corbin would only make those beetle bags?
Good luck nickb

relax when you ride i find myself barely hanging on sometimes Well until the Turbos done Then well see Enjoy!

Hey Kawi rider...

is that your Mommas bike?

The easiest way, believe it or not, just keep the rpms away from 4,500 to 5,500 (at least on my bike). You can feel the engine kind of grinding on that range, and that's what numbs your hands right away.

Back