Hands falling asleep?

I have Heli Bars, gel grips, padded gloves and drop pegs. I know I have arthritis in my hands and have to limit my riding distance/time as a result.

These bikes are known to have a vibration buzz at 4k RPM right at hiway speed. My Bandit has a buzz at it's hiway speed too and used to put my hands asleep after a while.

I don't know if there is a fix, going to a bar set up like c10 has might do it.

I have Heli Bars, gel grips, padded gloves and drop pegs. I know I have arthritis in my hands and have to limit my riding distance/time as a result.

These bikes are known to have a vibration buzz at 4k RPM right at hiway speed. My Bandit has a buzz at it's hiway speed too and used to put my hands asleep after a while.

I don't know if there is a fix, going to a bar set up like c10 has might do it.

I had a Spiegler bar conversion too.
It helps alot, but the highway buzz is still there.

The feeling goes away before I even get my helmet jacket and gloves off. Is not poison really is just the tingling and numbness like your hand is falling asleep, nothing in my wrists or forarms. Dopey maybe right about the gloves cutting in at the base of the fingers, they're not tight but since the fingers are a tad long intend to drive them as hard onto my hands I can so I dont have that extra room hanging off the tips. Next time I ride I'll leave the gloves off and try that. The Sidici's are really comfortable I hope I dont have to change a dozen different gloves to fix the problem. I'm still looking at heavy bar weights and helibars too. Thanks again for all the replies guys

hahahahahahahahaha…. so ure a MD just like I am and came up with an accurate concise diagnosis.
You are correct to a certain extent, not me though...the wifee is the medical person :) She yells a me all the timeabout my stationary lifestyle. (aka Im a fat lazy Bastad!) Not really...260 at my height isnt too terrible but i could be in better shape.

Hit up an Osteopathic Dr. Or Chiropractor and let them know where the tingling or pain is and they can trace it back to a simple sleeping or standing position.

Good luck.

The feeling goes away before I even get my helmet jacket and gloves off. Is not poison really is just the tingling and numbness like your hand is falling asleep, nothing in my wrists or forarms. Dopey maybe right about the gloves cutting in at the base of the fingers, they're not tight but since the fingers are a tad long intend to drive them as hard onto my hands I can so I dont have that extra room hanging off the tips. Next time I ride I'll leave the gloves off and try that. The Sidici's are really comfortable I hope I dont have to change a dozen different gloves to fix the problem. I'm still looking at heavy bar weights and helibars too. Thanks again for all the replies guys
That's good the sensation does not last long. Gloves are made out of different types of leather that vary in softness & some combine 2-3 of them for feel & some durability; also some place the stitching on the outside of the gloves for max comfort. I recently had right hand going pins & needles throughout every day on off. Thought it was medication which i stopped cold even talked to my DR. No change later realized when falling asleep i was placing right hand under my chest which was causing my odd symptoms.

The last 2 days I ride without my gloves but I also did more riding into town since I got my permit so it was more stop and go than when I stay close to home. The feeling wasn't near as strong but it was still there and i'm pretty sure it'd a combo of ruger gloves and the vibrations. I don't want to change my riding position just yet so i'm going to get the heavy weighted best ends and maybe some thinner gloves. I really like what I have and I wanted armor but maybe some kevlar would be just as good?

The last 2 days I ride without my gloves but I also did more riding into town since I got my permit so it was more stop and go than when I stay close to home. The feeling wasn't near as strong but it was still there and i'm pretty sure it'd a combo of ruger gloves and the vibrations. I don't want to change my riding position just yet so i'm going to get the heavy weighted best ends and maybe some thinner gloves. I really like what I have and I wanted armor but maybe some kevlar would be just as good?

Make sure you get and wear Good gloves.
Your hands are usually the first thing to hamburger on the road.
Think about All the things you can't do for yourself while they heal.
I watched a couple riding buddies go through that, and was there when it happened to one of them.
Yeah, hamburger, that's a good description.

I know you said you have the short finger problem like me but try to find a pair that lets your fingertips reach the end and doesn't quite let the finger crotch seam press into that area. The gloves I used that were too long on my fingers or too tight in that area seemed to make it worse.

Where to start? Below are most of the mods I have personally tried over the years, some more effective than others.

Helibars – Good price conscious comfort mod, solid construction. Not much in the way of adjustability. Does not mitigate vibration. Does not, by itself require custom brake lines, but highly recommended.

Genmar Riser plate. See above. Does not, by itself require custom brake lines. I combined both the Helibars and Genmar with good effect, but does require custom brake lines and some other mods to reroute fast idle and clearance the windshield etc.

Crampbuster – Great price conscious comfort mod. I went from the wide one to the narrower one and find that once adjusted it does provide a way to maintain throttle position, while loosening your grip so you can get things circulating again.

NEP Throttle lock - Great price conscious comfort mod. I have used one of these for the better part of 40 years now and have no reason to stop. No modifications necessary. Set it and let go, thumb it to release. Others are running full automotive CC on their bikes with great feedback so that’s an alternative.

Heated Grips – Great price conscious comfort mod.I have the Heat Demon version on now. These allow you to run whatever grips and gloves you choose so I prefer them to heated grips. Warm hands are happy hands IMO! Great to enhance circulation. Only mods necessary are the wiring.

CRG Levers – Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. I went with a long Clutch lever and Short Brake lever due to sitting in traffic a lot and a long clutch lever helps a lot for that. No mods necessary.

Bar Weights - Great, not so price conscious comfort mod. This aint for everybody, but if you want to absolutely KILL vibes this is where you start! The set I have (not currently installed, more on this later) were made for me from Solid Brass. They weigh about 8oz or maybe more each so, like I said they aren’t for everyone. I rode for a long time on a few different motorcycles with these and it wasn’t until recently that I quit using them.

Corbin Seat – Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. I bought mine used from a board member, rode a lot of miles on this seat stock until I decided to install a Gel insert in it last summer, even better now! No mods necessary.

Buell Foot pegs - Great price conscious comfort mod. This is one of those must do mods for tall dudes. Only mods necessary are adjusting your pedal heights after install. I am leaning towards a set of the Knight Industries pegs just have had no good reason to thus far.

Tubular Bar- Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. As I mentioned above I rode for a lot of miles with my Helibar/Tall Genmar riser and had no real complaints about that setup. But it is not adjustable so I decided on a Tubular Bar. I chose to go the Fatbar route via a CNC Topyokes upper and a Renthal Streetfighter Bend Fatbar. In doing so, I no longer found the need to run my uber heavy brass bar ends with this setup. They do a great job of eliminating much of the vibration present with the others mentioned. You will need custom lines (mine are +4”) for this mod, as well as windshield mods etc.

Windshields - Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. Some folks are fine with the stock shield or even a double bubble, and in fact I had a double bubble on mine until right now. I just bought an MRA Vario Touring Shield to try out simply because I got the bug to give it a go. Previously had great results with the ZG Sport Touring shield as well. Will report on how the new one works when I get around to fitting it up.

Where to start? Below are most of the mods I have personally tried over the years, some more effective than others.

Helibars – Good price conscious comfort mod, solid construction. Not much in the way of adjustability. Does not mitigate vibration. Does not, by itself require custom brake lines, but highly recommended.

Genmar Riser plate. See above. Does not, by itself require custom brake lines. I combined both the Helibars and Genmar with good effect, but does require custom brake lines and some other mods to reroute fast idle and clearance the windshield etc.

Crampbuster – Great price conscious comfort mod. I went from the wide one to the narrower one and find that once adjusted it does provide a way to maintain throttle position, while loosening your grip so you can get things circulating again.

NEP Throttle lock - Great price conscious comfort mod. I have used one of these for the better part of 40 years now and have no reason to stop. No modifications necessary. Set it and let go, thumb it to release. Others are running full automotive CC on their bikes with great feedback so that’s an alternative.

Heated Grips – Great price conscious comfort mod.I have the Heat Demon version on now. These allow you to run whatever grips and gloves you choose so I prefer them to heated grips. Warm hands are happy hands IMO! Great to enhance circulation. Only mods necessary are the wiring.

CRG Levers – Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. I went with a long Clutch lever and Short Brake lever due to sitting in traffic a lot and a long clutch lever helps a lot for that. No mods necessary.

Bar Weights - Great, not so price conscious comfort mod. This aint for everybody, but if you want to absolutely KILL vibes this is where you start! The set I have (not currently installed, more on this later) were made for me from Solid Brass. They weigh about 8oz or maybe more each so, like I said they aren’t for everyone. I rode for a long time on a few different motorcycles with these and it wasn’t until recently that I quit using them.

Corbin Seat – Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. I bought mine used from a board member, rode a lot of miles on this seat stock until I decided to install a Gel insert in it last summer, even better now! No mods necessary.

Buell Foot pegs - Great price conscious comfort mod. This is one of those must do mods for tall dudes. Only mods necessary are adjusting your pedal heights after install. I am leaning towards a set of the Knight Industries pegs just have had no good reason to thus far.

Tubular Bar- Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. As I mentioned above I rode for a lot of miles with my Helibar/Tall Genmar riser and had no real complaints about that setup. But it is not adjustable so I decided on a Tubular Bar. I chose to go the Fatbar route via a CNC Topyokes upper and a Renthal Streetfighter Bend Fatbar. In doing so, I no longer found the need to run my uber heavy brass bar ends with this setup. They do a great job of eliminating much of the vibration present with the others mentioned. You will need custom lines (mine are +4”) for this mod, as well as windshield mods etc.

Windshields - Good, not so price conscious comfort mod. Some folks are fine with the stock shield or even a double bubble, and in fact I had a double bubble on mine until right now. I just bought an MRA Vario Touring Shield to try out simply because I got the bug to give it a go. Previously had great results with the ZG Sport Touring shield as well. Will report on how the new one works when I get around to fitting it up.

Dude thanks for the awesome write up! I'm going to get some of the weighted bar ends, why are they not for everybody? Do they change how the bike handles? And the helibars would be the next model if needed. I think I want a double bubble screen but having not seen over in person i'm not sure yet. The original owner put some nice adjustable levers on already which I love but i'm not sure what kind they are. I was wondering what aftermarket seat was the best option for long rides. (Long ride to me will be to Daytona only 2-3 hours away)

Dude thanks for the awesome write up! I'm going to get some of the weighted bar ends, why are they not for everybody? Do they change how the bike handles? And the helibars would be the next model if needed. I think I want a double bubble screen but having not seen over in person i'm not sure yet. The original owner put some nice adjustable levers on already which I love but i'm not sure what kind they are. I was wondering what aftermarket seat was the best option for long rides. (Long ride to me will be to Daytona only 2-3 hours away)
Most don't want to add that much weight and the physical size is also to be considered.

Screenshot_20190411-195728.png

Back