Handlebar Position Startup Problem,

guydb

Donating Member
Registered
Hello to All:

This is my first posting on the board and would like to start off by saying what an excellent and infomative site this is. It has helped me become more knowlegable about motorcycling and the Hayabusa (best bike I have ever owned), which has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the sport. So to all of the board members who post here regularly, thank you.

A bit about my bike first. I have a 2001 Black/Silver I purchased used in late 2003 which already have modifications done to it. Installed was a BDE Exhuast system, PCII (which I later upgraded to the PCIII USB), and Pair Mod.

Over the last two years I have added some other appearance mods and comfort mods, and the bike has always run well.

I have been trying to do most of the maintanance of the bike myself from info I have learned from the Suzuki Service Manual and the Hayes Manual and from info I have picked up from this site.

About a month ago I started having problems with trying to start the bike. It would happen intermitently, and was not sure what was causing it. I checked all the usual suspects (bike in neutral, kickstand up, clutch in, kill switch on, etc) but sometimes the bike would not start, and sometimes it did.
I then checked the fuses and tested the starter relay according to the manual and everthing was fine there. I tested the started switch and again it seemed to be fine.
After this I found that when I put the choke (fast Idle lever) on the bike seemed to start more predictable (ie more often), but again occasionally it would not.
What was even more interesting was that when the bike was not starting and I moved the handlebars to the left to fully locked, the bike would often start, but again not always.
This seems to indicate a cable routing issue, but am not sure?
Prior to this I had done some maintanance and tuning to the bike (synced TB's, adjusted TPS, new air filter, new Iridium plugs), but can't pinpoint any of them specifically as I did many things over a few weeks and the problem started slowly and intermintently that I didn't pay as careful attention as I should have (probably a good idea to keep a log of what was done and when, and also to note problems as soon as they occur, even if only once).
I have rechecked the TPS and the slash was on the bottom setting and reset it to the middle setting again. Still same issues.
I am thinking about removing the Iridium plugs next and going back to stock. Am not sure what I can do about the throttle cables and choke cables as they appear to be working ok when I check under the tank on the right side of the bike.
Any insight as to what the problem could be would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Well I would say "Welcome to the board" but you've been here
almost 2 1/2 years and this is your FIRST post
wow.gif

Does the engine crank normally but no start
rock.gif

Does the fuel pump make the normal sounds when it won't start
rock.gif

How many miles do you have on your bike
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Thanks for the Welcome, BaBusa.

No the engine does not crank at all, nothing happens at all no sound either when pushing the starter button.
The fuel pump functions as normal when the kill switch it turned on. It seems to prime the injectors.
The bike has 40,000 kms (aprox 25,000miles).

Sounds like either a bad kill switch or it could be the kickstand safety switch
wink.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
lurker!
smile.gif

kms? Are you on the other side of the Pond?
rock.gif

Sorry I don't do electrical, but many on here do. This could be one simple component failure, or very complicated. Hopefully some of the guru's here will post up here presently, meanwhile free

Bump.gif

Hi Shibumi:

No I am located about 1.5 hrs north of Toronto, Canada.

Kruzin, thanks for the suggestion. I will check that out ASAP.

Ba Busa the Kill switch seems to be functioning OK as it does kill the engine once started and does prime the fuel pump when engaged. The kickstand safety switch could be the issue, will have to investigate how to test/check its functionality in the manual.

Thanks for the help.

Guydb

It could be a bad kill switch that only acts up once and a while...when it does it again
try turning the switch on and off several times.

Make sure you here the fuel pump prime every time you turn the kill swith back to "run" (with the key on). It could be an intermittent problem as BA Basa described. Another problem could be the gear indicator switch. Does the neutral light function correctly every time? I doubt it's the sidestand switch as the bike should crank & start in neutral with the sidestand up or down.

Thanks for the input BaBusa. I have done that with the kill switch whenever it doesn't start. The Pump functions every time I turn the kill switch to the on position.

Hi Red05. Yes the pump comes on every time. Also the neutral switch functions as it should, when I engage 1st gear it goes off, when I put it in neutral it goes on.
And I also agree with your comment about the kickstand switch, as I do have the clutch also in when I am trying to start the engine.

I think the issue may be in the fast idle switch housing, and may try to take it apart to inspect it for anything out of order. I will also recheck my starter cable routing just to be sure.

Thanks again.

check the actual ignition swith it will also do this when contacts are dirty.

(KRUZIN @ Sep. 17 2006,12:31) You can also check the clutch switch, if you haven't already..
Since you see a pattern with the position of the handlebars, you might have a bad wire/connection at the clutch switch, or of course a bad switch itself. The switch test is pretty easy, unplug it at the lever, and if you have a continuity tester, make sure the two terminals at the lever have continuity with the lever squeezed. If you don't have a tester, when you get the no crank condition, unplug the connector and jump the two terminals on the harness side and see if it cranks. Good luck
smile.gif

Success!!!
beerchug.gif

Thank you very much for your suggestion about the Clutch switch, Red05 (and all others who gave guidance, much appreciated), that was exactly what it was. I disconnected the connectors to the switch and jumped them with a wire, and bingo, starts every time.
I am going to see if I can get the switch to operate properly in the next few days, otherwise I will see about ordering a new switch. In the meantime am wondering if will do any damage driving around with the connectors jumped?
Again I want to say thanks to everyone who provided help, I have made a donation to the board for its support to all of us. I want to explain that I am a single parent with two autistic children and a business to run, so do not get much opportunity to post to boards such as these. My children really enjoy riding on the back of the Busa with me, so am glad I was able to get it going.

Again thanks to all.
super.gif

I love the sound of a Busa starting up  
smile.gif
...I heard it a lot this weekend at the Meet'n'Greet. You seem like a pretty sharp guy that knows to be very careful about not starting the bike with the kickstand up and in gear without pulling in the clutch lever...without the clutch switch working it could cause an incident  
wow.gif
. Other than that I don't see a problem. Nice going, KRUZIN
beerchug.gif

(guydb @ Sep. 17 2006,16:00) Success!!!
beerchug.gif

Thank you very much for your suggestion about the Clutch switch, Red05 (and all others who gave guidance, much appreciated), that was exactly what it was. I disconnected the connectors to the switch and jumped them with a wire, and bingo, starts every time.
I am going to see if I can get the switch to operate properly in the next few days, otherwise I will see about ordering a new switch. In the meantime am wondering if will do any damage driving around with the connectors jumped?
Again I want to say thanks to everyone who provided help, I have made a donation to the board for its support to all of us. I want to explain that I am a single parent with two autistic children and a business to run, so do not get much opportunity to post to boards such as these. My children really enjoy riding on the back of the Busa with me, so am glad I was able to get it going.

Again thanks to all.
super.gif
You won't do any damage with a jumper on the clutch switch
wink.gif

This gives me something to check on my bike- Twice now, when I come out of work to go home, the bike won't start and shows the chec warning on the LCD. Last time is 5pm on the Friday of the labour day weekend
This means a) sidestand is down, b) kill switch in wrong position, c) fuse bad

Turns out that none of these items is the right problem. I had the bike towed home on a flatbed, then unplugged the PCIII (just a hunch) but no joy. Plugged the PCIII back in- now it starts.

Today, same problem, but I did the PCIII trick at work. This time no way she's starting. So, probably bad switch somewhere, I'm thinking kill switch...

Out to the garage and I'll check back with the board as I get more disspirited.

Hi iain:

Glad to hear you found your problem. There is nothing worse that having a perfectly functioning bike, but for no apparent reason it won't start! Especially when you have a highly anticipated trip planned.
Take care and enjoy.

Guydb

Back