Handle bar shaking

I sold my busa in 2003 and bought brand new harley. At 80mph, the whole bike shimmied. I never went faster than 70 after that and sold the harley with 4000 miles as I could not trust it, brand new!! Dealer said nothing was wrong with it and they didn't experience any problems with bike up to 100mph, I was told.:shocked:

New to the site 1st post. Agree with fallenarch and any bike can encounter head shake, death wobble, tank slapper or whatever you want to call it. Equipment is a big factor and the Busa is set up nice but I am not a fan of stick type stabilizers. Broke mine wheeling when a heavy custom dual car horn came lose. Didn't want another stick and was trying to save $ for a GPR or Scotts stabilizer. So told myself I would take off the old one and just take it easy. Worked well till going to gym and got on 3rd gear aggressively & hello head shake. Knew I was wrong just didn't have $540 yet but wanted to ride. Did a lot of go fast work/mods add a tempting straightaway and it was on. What I didn't realize is that there were two small rises (humps) at the end portion. The bike was pulling harder than ever, add in the level change compressing the rear shock slightly and the front end got light. Not a tank slapper but head shake resulted as I looked down & saw 183mph! Talk about a pucker moment; been riding a long time so just let off the gas and stayed calm but was thinking you are so F-ing DEAD!
Bike calmed down and I was lucky to live. Learned my lesson and put bike away for the season and most of the next until I bought a Scotts. That's my stupidness but think the HD complaints may be from a loose steering head bearing. Just worked on a friends Vmax that had same wobble issue that seemed to come and go at different speeds. The locking lug just needed tightening and did not need to be replaced which makes sense on these older bikes with some miles on therm. Lift front end of bike off the ground and if handel bars fall hard to either side when moved and let go this is the problem.

Second thought V twins require balancers and can't handle speeds well above 95-110mph depending on the degree of the pistons V (design) & simply because they no longer can maintain proper crank balance. Well at least that's what I read some where or other.

I replaced my standard Gen 2 steering damper with an Ohlins that locates in the same area as the stocker on the bike . I treat it as a set and forget deal , and it is dialed in on a low , minimum setting . I was always taught to set the damper up so it will slow , dampen a lightened front end head shake , ideally , best achieved using the most effective minimum setting .

Second thought V twins require balancers and can't handle speeds well above 95-110mph depending on the degree of the pistons V (design) & simply because they no longer can maintain proper crank balance. Well at least that's what I read some where or other.
Hi there Nastee , welcome mate to the Org , sounds like you have been riding for some time , what are you riding bro , Gen 1 or 2 ?

Guess you mean cruiser V twins ;)

Guess you mean cruiser V twins ;)

He must have
FIRST REAL DUC RIDE 021 (Medium).jpg

FIRST REAL DUC RIDE 016 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Hi there Nastee , welcome mate to the Org , sounds like you have been riding for some time , what are you riding bro , Gen 1 or 2 ?
When I semi-restored my 90 1100
That is a beauty! I’ve ridden my Dad’s ‘90 Heritage Softtail here and there since he bought it new. The bike over the years has found its self housing a 113” S&S motor and will do over 80 MPH. The handling is what I would consider terrible but that’s what makes it feel so fast! There is no motor that will give you the mule kick in the ass that a big-inch Harley will at a 10 MPH roll in first. They don’t wobble at 80 unless something is completely goofed up with the bike or the rider is putting a bunch of motion into it.

Yes usually a cruiser. Ducati has spent a lot of time & money figuring out all of limiting issues inherent with twins and pioneered making them exceed beyond what anyone had on top end, red line. That's what they do engine to engine learning from the old designs and prototyping new advancements lets all say desmo.
Riding Gen 1 2006 and still working on it! Thanks for the welcome RoadToad you guys are very mechanical knowledgeable & a close group I have been learning a lot from. Got my 1st dirt bike at 13y/o but didn't get a street bike till 21y/o and just turned 48 last month so little bit.

I have mine off both of the bikes and experience no wobbles at all. I think the weights are just to deaden vibration but I don't notice any change in that with the weights off either.
Exactly the weights are strictly vibration dampers, just like the weights in the foot pegs.

Yes usually a cruiser. Ducati has spent a lot of time & money figuring out all of limiting issues inherent with twins and pioneered making them exceed beyond what anyone had on top end, red line. That's what they do engine to engine learning from the old designs and prototyping new advancements lets all say desmo.

Riding Gen 1 2006 and still working on it! Thanks for the welcome RoadToad you guys are very mechanical knowledgeable & a close group I have been learning a lot from. Got my 1st dirt bike at 13y/o but didn't get a street bike till 21y/o and just turned 48 last month so little bit.
Ha! a young whipper snapper!! Great to have you along my friend, yeah we do have a ton of collective mechanical knowledge between us all, your input is always welcome too . . . no one person knows it all :confused::rolleyes:
:welcome:

Back