Haiti Aid... the oil rich? = stingy?

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
I found the detailed list of donations for Haiti and it appears the oil rich countries full of Muslims are oddly absent..

UAE is in for about 2M of the almost 1.5B donated so far but the Muslims are oddly missing.. maybe not included in list? or do religious beliefs get in the way?

Haiti earthquake aid pledged by country: full data | News | guardian.co.uk (there is link to spreadsheets)

The US so far is the largest donor at about almost 10%

Last edited:
I found the detailed list of donations for Haiti and it appears the oil rich countries full of Muslims are oddly absent..

UAE is in for about 2M of the almost 1.5B donated so far but the Muslims are oddly missing.. maybe not included in list? or do religious beliefs get in the way?

Haiti earthquake aid pledged by country: full data | News | guardian.co.uk (there is link to spreadsheets)

The US so far is the largest donor at about almost 10%

A wise man once said, you don't stay rich giving your money away... worthy cause or not. Had this happened on the other side of the world, perhaps the outcome would be different for who's contributing to the rebuild. Could also be that the man in charge here does not have the connections with those in charge in the desert to get some funds moving. Could also be that most of the Arab world works on a program, policy/protocol/etc My guess is that if you research across the many major disasters of the past two decades, the gulf is notably absent from the list of funds. I doubt they care if the world holds them in high regard or not...fact is everyone is still gonna buy their oil...for now :banghead:

Should not surprise anyone. U.S. is one of the most giving countries in the world. All the countries that say we don't help enough give little to none.

Spain: largest unemployment in European Union, largest national debt in European Union, and second in the world... and third in Haiti aid ranking (excluding World Bank). Strange people these spaniards...

It is amazing that in a time like this the oil rich countries would not donate more money to the relief effort in Haiti.

A wise man once said, you don't stay rich giving your money away... worthy cause or not. Had this happened on the other side of the world, perhaps the outcome would be different for who's contributing to the rebuild. Could also be that the man in charge here does not have the connections with those in charge in the desert to get some funds moving. Could also be that most of the Arab world works on a program, policy/protocol/etc My guess is that if you research across the many major disasters of the past two decades, the gulf is notably absent from the list of funds. I doubt they care if the world holds them in high regard or not...fact is everyone is still gonna buy their oil...for now :banghead:

Another wise man said, "The lighter you clutch your money, the more it will come to you".
Also, "When gifts are given, there should be no expectation of gratitude nor acknowledgement, for it is about the act of giving, regardless of the reaction".
That's another reason I'm proud to be an American. Doyle

:bump::popcorn::drink::whistle:

United States 167,769,881 0.53 9.57
Canada 130,733,775 3.89 7.45
World Bank (emergency grant) 100,000,000 5.7
Saudia Arabia 50,000,000............................................puts them in fourth doesnt it ?
Spain 45,880,231 1.02 2.62
European Commission 44,877,340 2.56
United Kingdom 32,590,138 0.53 1.86
France 31,313,132 0.50 1.79

Saudi: Government donates $50 million to Haiti - Yahoo! News

i think everone is forgetting the saudi's are broke.
Their economy has gone down hill big time.
November 2008 they had to implement this stategy to stabalise their country
“A 50 percent tax cut has been offered on the annual cost of training Saudis and another 50 percent tax cut on annual salaries paid to Saudis,”

This was just to keep the saudi population employed.

Gotta love Dubai's contribution... they went there to help "Arab familiy's"

Excuse me can I see your passport before we help you?

Back