Hahn turbo leaking oil from intake

dolilind

Registered
Anyone ever seen a turbo leak oil from the intake port? Are there replaceable oil seals inside the housing to prevent this?

the turbo shaft has to be positioned above the oil sight glass
also if the turbo is a hair low dont leave it on a rear stand as this puts the oil level up front above the shaft and allows the oil to leak by the seal
another option is a scavenge pump for the turbo
but to answer your question
yes they can be replaced

seal replacement is not a DIY project for most.. There are 2 types of seals used on the inlet side, one type allows you to run a "wet" system (air/fuel going through turbo) and the more typical single seal that could allow fuel to wash out the bushing/bearing.

Normally when the wheels are pulled off to replace seals and check bearings/bushing, they should be rebalanced..

(and cdhoro is most correct about turbo placement.. better to have it mounted high than have to run scavange pumps, good engineering can save a ton of headaches here)

Sounds like you need either a electrical or mechanical scavenge pump before you hurt those seals with to much oil! Here is a link to them............

Evacuation Pump, Oil, Electric, Turbo - Cycle-Logic * Schnitz Motorsports Inc

:thumbsup:

really does not hurt the seal, it is just incapable of holding back oil flow if pooled up behind the seal by a turbo mounted so that gravity does not allow proper drainage..

Last edited:
another hanh takes a dive; maybe everyone with a hahn kit that hasn't had they bugs worked out could get together and do a group buy from another company or see if rcc(richard) could set up a place on his site for replacement parts to get a hanh kit running

I have not had any issues with my HAHN kit and this is the third. I found that some oils break down from the heat of a turbo and when they break down they will leak out the seal. I have changed over to MOBIL 20-50 full synthetic and not had a leak since.

I have not had any issues with my HAHN kit and this is the third. I found that some oils break down from the heat of a turbo and when they break down they will leak out the seal. I have changed over to MOBIL 20-50 full synthetic and not had a leak since.

have you ever had to replace the seals?

I just bought another welding machine to for my business and I decided to refab my kit after welding the cracks in the header a few weeks ago. Hahn kits are built cheap and I think rcc or VR kits are better suited for the strip. If you race, get a good wastegate and signal lines, mine spiked to 28psi once due to a crack in a year old line.

coking is a common cause of failure on turbos.. (synthetic oils do not coke like petroleum oils and so are much better for the application)

the issue is with the "cool down" or more the "lack" of it..

on a hot shut down, the heat is transferred through the hot side to the shaft. It then cooks the small amount of oil around the shaft and turns to "coke" in extreme cases it will literally choke the oil passages until the oil will not even flow through the turbo.. Number one cause of bushing/bearing failure..

CURE: let the stupid thing idle down for a couple minutes after riding and shutting down the motor..

This lets the heat dissipate off the hot side a bit..

Another super fix is adding an accumulator to the system. It will feed oil through the turbo for a few minutes after shutdown and eliminate most of the "coking" The failure is really not the fault of the turbo..

Last edited:
Back