Had to throw this pic up!

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
If anyone has any history of riding in the SoCal (Malibu, Santa Monica, etc.) coastal ranges, they know of the famous Malibu Rock Store...a Sunday destination for thousands of motorcyclists (all genres) for decades. Movie stars, exotic bikes....quite a show every sunday. My lifelong friend (a cameraman down there and Malibusa here on the org) found and sent me this old pic. Me on my Yamaha XS-11(badboy bike in those days) around 1982 in front of the original Rock Store (before additions).

Doyle

old rock store pic.jpg

At least it wasn't a Kawi:poke:
:laugh:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I couldn't let that one go! below are 2 others in my past, a Suzuki AND that Kawi (I was pretty much a Kawi guy now that I think back, I did come to the light finally though (Busas). It's hard to know since I have so many good memories from ALL of em. 80's early superbikes were an amazing, hard core subculture that demanded....if you wanted to ride fast, YOU HAD to modify your bike yourself, really a dominant requirement for "runnin with the big dogs" (twisties and track). The act of "improving on the factory part" back then, was intrinsic to ownership. Maybe that's why I have a year 2000 Busa, twelve years later! All I've done for those 12 is heavily support the aftermarket industry to continually improve my HayBus and I'd do it all over again too. That my Gen I takes me long range touring, to the track, twisties, Pashnit tours, and bike nights(still lures gawkers) in 2012 puts the Busa in a category all it's own....and I've owned over 65 motorcycles so far to compare it with.

Doyle

my old bikes 002.jpg

my old bikes 003.jpg

raydog said:
I couldn't let that one go! below are 2 others in my past, a Suzuki AND that Kawi (I was pretty much a Kawi guy now that I think back, I did come to the light finally though (Busas). It's hard to know since I have so many good memories from ALL of em. 80's early superbikes were an amazing, hard core subculture that demanded....if you wanted to ride fast, YOU HAD to modify your bike yourself, really a dominant requirement for "runnin with the big dogs" (twisties and track). The act of "improving on the factory part" back then, was intrinsic to ownership. Maybe that's why I have a year 2000 Busa, twelve years later! All I've done for those 12 is heavily support the aftermarket industry to continually improve my HayBus and I'd do it all over again too. That my Gen I takes me long range touring, to the track, twisties, Pashnit tours, and bike nights(still lures gawkers) in 2012 puts the Busa in a category all it's own....and I've owned over 65 motorcycles so far to compare it with.

Doyle

Sorry Sir! No disrespect was meant:down:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Doyle, when you said 80's superbikes I immediately went and found this pic and scanned it in... Having this bike was just like having the Busa when it first came out... Everyone wanted to race it thinking that it was all about CC's. I would have riders pull up next to me on 1500cc goldwings and cruisers and tell me the bike was cute, then blast away...

Kawi 600RR Vance and Hines baby, the bike that started my lust... I stripped this bike down and repainted it myself.... I loved that bike!

600rr.jpg

600rr.jpg

Everytime I look at this bike I start thinking about top gun and the song Danger Zone.. Highway to the danger zone.....

Recently at a bike night I was talking to a guy that brought in his little red cb400r (I think?little in line 4) and when he showed me the OEM front tire I freaked out remembering how fast and forceful I used to ride on those awful, skinny, hard rubber tires....and lived! Boy have we progressed. Doyle

Cool stuff. I sat out most of the 80's even though I loved bikes. I bought in to the "you have to grow up now" thing. Turns out you don't have to grow up and in many ways it's best you don't ! :laugh:

Thanks for sharing.

Back