Had to raise her up

BigBadDodge

Registered
:banghead::banghead:
Sad day, busa is no longer slammed, my friend who rides her own bike wanted to go on the back of mine sunday, i havent had a passenger on the back since i redid everything last winter, and she was just to low to have both of us on it, tire got into the undertail a few times (nothing major but enough to bother me). So went to my house and put her back up to stock height so she can ride with me.
Bike seems to handle a bit better in the corners but i just dont think its looks cool at all:whistle: But its almost the end of the season for us anyway, so this winter thinking either soupys adjustable links (mine were a pita at move just generic billet links) But that still doesnt fix my issue of a quick get on and lets go situation.

So not to take the uncool way out i'm now welcoming donations for an Air FX setup for this winter :laugh:

I was in your shoes a few months ago. Had to raise her to stock height with it being stretched. It looked so ugly, but got a stiffer spring and back down she went. Although a Air ride would make things a lot easier.

I was in your shoes a few months ago. Had to raise her to stock height with it being stretched. It looked so ugly, but got a stiffer spring and back down she went. Although a Air ride would make things a lot easier.

How far over are you and what spring did you get. I need to get a stiffer spring lol tired if raising and lowering so the wife can ride

stretched and lowered....i cant even imagine the handling..
handles just fine, not about the size of the stretch but the balls on the rider :laugh:

How far over are you and what spring did you get. I need to get a stiffer spring lol tired if raising and lowering so the wife can ride

Thats what i want to avoid is the up and down up and down, unfortunately at 10" not sure if i can get the best of both worlds, a stock width tire i'd clear just fine but that 240 puts it up into the sides of the undertail

I'm 8"s over now and I got the spring from allthingschrome on ebay. Think I paid $150 for it. Before they my lady friend (she weighs maybe 120lbs) the tire would touch the tail light. Now with that spring it rides nicer, doesn't bottom out and even tested out with a fat chick on it :laugh: no more rubbing.

is that so...

Ever ridden a stretched one? Common denominator i see is everyone that says they wont has never ridden one, i'm not saying it doesnt take more to get it into the corners, and its definately not a stock bike but i can hang with short bikes in the twistys just like anyone else.

<snip>Bike seems to handle a bit better in the corners but i just dont think its looks cool at all:whistle:
What's cool is in your head and what you can do with the machine.

Ever ridden a stretched one? Common denominator i see is everyone that says they wont has never ridden one, i'm not saying it doesnt take more to get it into the corners, and its definately not a stock bike but i can hang with short bikes in the twistys just like anyone else.
A good rider can even hustle a GoldWing through the twisties, they just have to work harder and back off earlier.

Going philosophical here.... As an engineer, all designs have their compromises. People think "high performance" vehicles are "no compromises" machines, but that's simply not the case, even for the nastiest sport bike (e.g., S1000RR, ZX10R, others). In the case of the Busa, they packed a lot of power into a pretty nimble package that excels at very high speed - just super stable at speeds few bikes can achieve, but they did so by compromising weight and somewhat soft suspension. They could lighten it up for better handling and make the suspension more responsive like those cutting edge sport bikes, but it surely they would lose some of that high speed composure and COMFORT that attract folks to the Busa. The stock Busa is great ridden solo, but more challenging two-up; it's very wheelie prone with a passenger. I imagine a stretch would help a ton for that, but you'd give up a little handling and possibly lose something in the suspension unless you spring for a very well designed shock. Ideally you'd also want to rework the bell-crank geometry for an "optimum" setup. But that's optimum for the new design point (non-wheeling prone when riding with passenger), not optimum for handling.

Personally, I've been down the path of "optimum for looks." I remember seeing OCC's Paul Sr. on American Choppers ride his latest creation raving about how great that ridiculous thing handled. I have yet to ride a chopper of any kind that I thought handled worth sh!#t. Even most cruisers are crap in my opinion, slow, lazy, uncomfortable, but obviously some people love them. I can't imagine what a 10" stretched and lowered Busa with a 300 kit must handle like. Not the bike for me, but obviously it's the bike for somebody, as there are a lot of them out there. Folks that love these bikes have a different design point for "optimum." I'm good with that. I like some personal creativity in this world. It's all good. :thumbsup:

No but I know the effects of lowering ride height and extending wheelbase.

I'm sure it handles posted speed limits just fine.

Is it going to handle in the curves like a stock wheelbase/height busa? No. Can it hang in the curves with other stock bikes in twistes with someone that actually knows how to take turns? No. Will I take my bike to a track day stretched and lowered? No. But being that most riders who don't knee drag every corner nor go canyon carving, if they stretch and lower their bikes they do not notice any difference in handling. So that being said my bike handles just fine for how I ride her. I don't go canyon carving with her so I'm good. But I have and I still kepted up with riders that I know because their riding skills still need improvement. Plus I still have my stock zx6r if I really feel like going on a canyon ride.

Back