Had quite an unusual incident occur today on a ride.

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I got on my new KTM Super Adventure this morning and rode up into the Sierras to a small mountain town called Graeagle, for breakfast. When out of twisties and onto interstate toward home, suddenly a group of Harleys, all black bikes, comes rolling up behind me (I was going 75 in 65 so they were going 80+). They were riding about 3 feet away from each other with a slight stagger. I changed lanes and when they came abreast of me I saw they were flying full Hells Angels colors. I looked over at each one of them and no one looked at me like I was invisible. Either that is their riding discipline (just dont wave to anyone) or they simply dont acknowledge non Harley's, especially a strange Adventure Tourer made in Austria! Anyways, based on their luggage, they were just "passing through", I thought it was an interesting experience, especially for me, being so immersed in the motorcycle world that I have synthetic oil in my veins! Philosophically, I realize what they think of me is none of my business, it's just there are SO MANY friendly motorcyclists I encounter when I go on solo rides, including "big twin" folks....just wanted to share on the org....

I have had the pleasure of meeting some of those types . Different lifestyle 180 degrees from us . Dont lose any sleep over it :)

ray, is there something wrong with this?

"I looked over at each one of them and no one looked at me like I was invisible.". 'No' one or everyone?

If you're saying they ignored you just think of it this way. On a club run where everyone wears their cut, the 'public' sees them no differently than they see a Dolly Parton tour bus or a Barnum & Bailey circus truck go by. They stare at them constantly. They're probably tired of acknowledging every single person they come in contact with as they go for a ride. The price they pay for their notoriety.

You were invisible and they did hit you? They must be better riders then I thought they were - or they were looking so far ahead (like riders should do) that they
couldn't break their gaze to look at you, besides they saw you when they were 500 feet behind you. :laugh: Waving is probably a sign of weakness so they don't dare do it.

They didnt wave or acknowledge because they claim the road as theirs, not yours. Around here we have Pagans, Hells Angels, Warlocks, Outlaws, Sons Of Silence, Wheels of Soul, The Breed and Mongols, all with in a 50 mile radius of Philadelphia and my shop. NONE will wave or acknowledge your existence on the road. A simple wave or hand shake can put you in prison just from guilty by association in the Feds eyes. So they dont do it. I grew up with OMC's around me, there are things as a independent rider you just dont do when on the road in presence of a OMC, one is waving, and always give them right of way, because they wont stop for you and you dont want a confrontation.

Interesting insights you guys. I did some undercover work with m/c gangs(in my 1st career as an LEO, not deep cover) and remember the culture, psychologically speaking, not much different from Crips, Bloods, Nortanias, etc. It really is an "us vrs. everybody else" mentality. Sad in some respects but at least they support one another! One thing for sure, we are not participating in the same sport, I dont care if they are on 2 wheels or not.

ray, is there something wrong with this?

"I looked over at each one of them and no one looked at me like I was invisible.". 'No' one or everyone?

If you're saying they ignored you just think of it this way. On a club run where everyone wears their cut, the 'public' sees them no differently than they see a Dolly Parton tour bus or a Barnum & Bailey circus truck go by. They stare at them constantly. They're probably tired of acknowledging every single person they come in contact with as they go for a ride. The price they pay for their notoriety.

I get your point but I think their unwillingness to connect to others, especially other motorcyclists (1% ers or not) goes way deeper than that.

One night on tour just as I finished checking into a motel, a large group of HAs rode in and pretty much filled the place. One guy paid for all their rooms with a VISA Gold card. He asked for extra towels and blankets as I figured they were putting more guys in the rooms than were allowed...One of the older guys told me my bike was safe as they position 'prospects' in the parking lot all night. I'll bet that parking lot was the most crime free piece of ground in the whole state that night! One observation I made was that apparently, LARGE guys join these clubs. I saw regular sized guys too but it seemed that most of them were very big guys. Intimidating I suppose if you're the type that gets intimidated.

And ray, what gives you the idea that members of an outlaw club would have any interest in 'connecting' with other motorcyclists?

One night on tour just as I finished checking into a motel, a large group of HAs rode in and pretty much filled the place. One guy paid for all their rooms with a VISA Gold card. He asked for extra towels and blankets as I figured they were putting more guys in the rooms than were allowed...One of the older guys told me my bike was safe as they position 'prospects' in the parking lot all night. I'll bet that parking lot was the most crime free piece of ground in the whole state that night! One observation I made was that apparently, LARGE guys join these clubs. I saw regular sized guys too but it seemed that most of them were very big guys. Intimidating I suppose if you're the type that gets intimidated.

And ray, what gives you the idea that members of an outlaw club would have any interest in 'connecting' with other motorcyclists?

Good question, here's my answer....I have 7 years in custody experience, Men's Central Jail, LA. another 10 on the streets. I've spent many hours interacting with ALL types of folks, home invasion robbers, murderers, major gang culture people, etc. Some have opened up to me, some haven't. I made this post because of the novelty of the experience, not because I'm wet behind the ears and angry because they didn't "act like my brothers"! I think we all need to be aware of the entirety of the world of motorcyclists and communication about our passion can only be a healthy way to be educated and informed. My highway experience is nothing more than a real world observation, kinda augments the television special. Doyle

I ride with B.A.C.A. and although we are not an MC, we are a motorcycle organization. We are territory neutral and ride, in a pack thru different territories. I live in an what is supposed to be an MC territory neutral state but we do have Black/White and Red/Gold here. Most of the MCs that we come into contact with are happy to do their thing and leave everyone else alone and they expect the same thing. We rarely see Red/White here.

So friends of mine were riding here in NY and went through Woodstock , They have a club with colors but their all old guys like some of us here . Well out of nowhere this jeep pulls out and forces them to the side of the road . They get off their bikes and a pack of bikes comes racing at them and surrounds the group. Turns out to be Pagans Motorcycle club . to make this short they made all the guys turn their jackets inside out and told them to leave

So friends of mine were riding here in NY and went through Woodstock , They have a club with colors but their all old guys like some of us here . Well out of nowhere this jeep pulls out and forces them to the side of the road . They get off their bikes and a pack of bikes comes racing at them and surrounds the group. Turns out to be Pagans Motorcycle club . to make this short they made all the guys turn their jackets inside out and told them to leave

Now that's totally effed up, it's like the last dog to pee on the fire hydrant is the top dog. Territoriality at that level just seems so primitive to me, btw defending your space from oppressors is not what I'm referring to, that's a different subject. Last I checked, this is the USA and our freedom trumps some group of uneducated roving mammals.

One a side note. How are you liking the KTM. I have the 1290 Super Duke and love it. I find I never get on the Busa anymore.

Come on uneducated mammal, trying to recover buy 1st busa. There s alot of riders with different princibles. Didn t expect those response s from what I ve learned about u guyz last few months. Besides the bike and this site helped me make the choice to buy busa when healed. Met alot of bikers in my 58 yrs some good some not. Have always acknowledged other riders no matter what they ride. I flew a patch for 10 yrs , it is its own culture granted guess I ve just tried to understand a lot of 2wheeled living. Don t consider myself a uneducated mammal though. Actually I wouldn t trade anything for that 10 yrs of bike education. Sorry probably should stayed out of this.

Pardon me, just a test post for Admin

It works the way I explained in my email Jim.

Reply to Thread-nothing...then clicked on reply with quote and got the quick reply box with the quote but then, I clicked on the Reply to Thread button again and the quick box with the quote disappeared and was replaced with this Reply to Thread box. Helluva lot of steps just to reply.

One a side note. How are you liking the KTM. I have the 1290 Super Duke and love it. I find I never get on the Busa anymore.

The KTM Super Adventure is so amazing, I totally understand your love for the SuperDuke! The other day I took all the bags off, put on my track leathers and rode my favorite twisties loop in the Sierras.....I bet my elapsed time on any given segment was as fast (or faster) than when on my old Busa track bike! It's tall and skinny and I never scraped once, I don't think my knee ever got closer than 6 inches to the deck on tight corners either, Sport mode rocks then when back on the interstate it's back to comfort mode. My other bikes are not getting very much mileage put on them either!

Come on uneducated mammal, trying to recover buy 1st busa. There s alot of riders with different princibles. Didn t expect those response s from what I ve learned about u guyz last few months. Besides the bike and this site helped me make the choice to buy busa when healed. Met alot of bikers in my 58 yrs some good some not. Have always acknowledged other riders no matter what they ride. I flew a patch for 10 yrs , it is its own culture granted guess I ve just tried to understand a lot of 2wheeled living. Don t consider myself a uneducated mammal though. Actually I wouldn t trade anything for that 10 yrs of bike education. Sorry probably should stayed out of this.

First of all, we are all mammals! Secondly, people that act bada$$ and demonstrate violent behaviors usually have less education in the population. Thirdly, I don't know you and the last thing I would do is say something negative about you. Forth, I ride with and know quite a few big twin riders and admire and respect them. And finally, say what you want to say on the org, dont apologize for your point of view, part of the good stuff here is the free exchange of ideas....we ALL learn from one another. Doyle

Back