Had enough Ford. Gonna Sue Ya!

Court was a bit of a mess Friday. They had messed up our case some. When Continental and I agreed to a settlement, we entered a Joint stipulation Dismissal. In that, it states clearly, the matter between myself and Continental has been dismissed, however the matter is unresolved between myself and Ford.

So nobody in the courts ever read that. They entered a dismissal and removed it from the docket that day. Ford showed up with a Field Representative and an attorney. When they didn't call my name at the start, I went up and discussed why. Once she realized that the Dismissal was only for one party, she said, I'll try and work you in, but I'll need to tell the judge.

Long story short, the judge asked us how long it would take. I said it would be 30 minutes to depose and introduce witness testimony and evidence. Ford said it would take 5 minutes. Judge said I'll give you 7 minutes, and I'll call you up when I can.

So he calls us up and says Mr. Gibbs, I've read your complaint. What do you to support your claim? I had the mechanic that did the work, and several documents that showed the same part was used in my truck as the previous years. I also had Ford invoices for other repairs made to 2006 trucks with the same failure.

Ford rebutted them stating they had not had a chance to review these documents. I responded by saying, had Ford provided me Discovery, these documents along with 1,00s of others would be here in court today. Your honor Ford gave me ZERO response to Discovery.

Well Mr. Gibbs, we are here today and here is how I (the court) are viewing this. You are asking that your vehicle but put on the same warranty that the 2005 vehicle was correct? I said, yes your honor, I have no reason to believe that my truck and its fuel injectors should have a warranty less that what Ford had already offered for the same part.

Ford responded with, we had a bad batch of injectors. Once that bad batch was thrown away, we go back to the original recipe.

I responded with, if you had a bad batch, you'd know what specific vehicles they were in by VIN and you'd recall these vehicles by VIN. You didn't. Ford said IF they experience a problem fix it, if they don't, you don't. You don't know what vehicles have what injectors in them and you didn't discover this problem until after they began to fail. Years after they were placed in service.

The judge listened to the mechanic tell him that he has had 40-50 of these in his shop, asked him how warranty repairs were accomplished in a 3rd party shop.

Then the judge said, he would make a ruling sometime this week.

So that 's all I know at this stage.

I left there not feeling all that great. I had TONS of stuff I wanted to get before the judge. But in 7 minutes, my whole format was changed. However, if it were cut and dried, he have ruled on the spot, and he didn't. So.....I wait now.

We've all been screwed at some point in our lives, and we all know how the system works, usually NOT in the common man's favor. I applaud you for even giving it a shot Tom. I would hate being in court and dealing with lawyers to begin with; you're screwed the second you walk in the room...

I do hope you hear something in your favor, soon!

I can't discuss particulars. Standard hush hush agreement. But the matter is closed with Continental. I am in no way unhappy with agreement.

Not sure why the pic doesn't work.
No ruling from judge yet on Ford. Well there probably is, but I have to either go to courthouse or wait for it to be mailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day for this....

fish 5.jpg

A few months back I posted here a light hearted recap of a spark plug change on my 2006 F-150 5.4 Triton with 78K on it. Something Ford wanted to charge me $750 to do. It was PITA, took all weekend, but it was accomplished. It should have never had to have been done in that manner but I was making light of a crappy design in that post. 1,000 miles and running great. Until 2 weeks ago.

I was starting to pick up a miss, with no CEL. My OBD II reader showed it as a No. 8 random miss fire. So my logical thought based on the fail rates experienced was a coil pack. No problem. Tomorrow I will swap them and make sure the problem moves. Pretty easy job all in all. So the next morning I do that. Go to start the engine and the engine gives me a quarter second of movement, kicks a click and then kicks back slightly. Then nothing. Felt like a dead battery. Which was odd because I has just replaced it about 8 months ago. So I just figured, cold snap, bad battery, a bad luck event.

Pull the battery, checks good at battery shop. Hmmmmm. Must be a bad connection I guess. Cleaned everything and put it back together. Started it up to hear a distinct and obvious but light knock now. WTH. Shut it down, searched for anything obvious. Nothing. Had it towed to a shop. A week into the repairs. Get a call...."You need to come down here and see this". That never gives you a sense of comfort. Go down to the shop. Front engine torn down, pan is off. "Look up at No. 8 piston. See that shiny spot?" Yes. "OK now look here on the crank, see that rub spot there?" Yes. The bottom of the piston is kissing the crank counterweight right there. I can't deny what I am looking at. OK so what caused that. We ponder it a bit. I said, look the only way that can happen is for the distance between the two to be wrong. Mechanically these things don't just touch for no reason. The piston must be bad or something. Which doesn't make sense but we have what we have.

Ok guys pull it down, lets see what we got. They called me back and said Come see again. So the head was now off. No interference between valves and piston took place. "What do you want us to do next?" Go ahead and pull the piston and rod out. Something isn't right somewhere. I stay there to observe. Pulled No. 8 Rod/Piston and it was clearly a bent rod. What in the PHU**** is going on here!!! Pull up the internet research. Googled in 2006 F-150 bent rods and Bingo, lots of them. Even more in 2005 and some in 2004. Turns out Ford recalled the entire 2005 year of this engine because of faulty Fuel Injectors sticking open. Actually it wasn't a recall, it was deemed a customer satisfaction program. Checked the affected vehicles. Mine was produced one week after the last VIN ID was specified.

Called Ford. Sorry not covered. Yours is a 2006 and not affected. Great news!!! Researched affected Fuel Injectors. List the part numbers, and lot numbers of these fuel injectors. Research that and found that in late 2004, all through 2005 and early 2006 they used the same source vendor and same lot number sequencing from the tail end of 2004 through early 2006. Then they changed sources. Yet Ford only recalled the 2005 model year since that was in the 10s of thousands affected vs the few thousand of 2004 and 2006 years. For the 2005 Model year recall, they are warranted against this for 112K miles or 11 years whichever comes first. Including engine replacement if damage occurred. Called Ford again. Explained all of that. Was told to pound sand.

Here is the failure mode of these injectors. They fail to the open position, at first they just stay open longer than they should but eventually just fail and are in the open position only. So, if we turn off the engine, and the injector is failed open, it will drain the fuel line full of fuel (under pressure) down into that intake path. In this case No. 8. So this is about 50CCs of liquid in total. If when you stop the engine the intake valve is closed, that fuel stays blocked behind the valve in the intake run of the manifold and head. The next time you start it, the piston will travel down on the intake stroke, filling the cylinder. The valves will both be closed entering into compression stroke. The piston will then travel up as normal and be unable to compress the liquid which is now trapped in the cylinder with no place to go. The starter, does its best, and forces that piston into an im-moveble mass of liquid with enough force that the rod gets bent. Also known as Hyrdo Lock.

No longer a lighthearted mood here. See ya in court Ford.
We have an old Saying here in Cork Ford means F****d Or Repaired Daily I feel your pain friend

I had a 85, F250 , biggest piece of crap I have owned. It had so many problems for a new truck you wouldn’t believe it . One almost killed me, the tie rod fell off while I was driving. Went to Toyota’s and won’t buy Ford again.

Buddy has an 06 e350 that I've been chasing issues on for two years and this explains all of it. I know this is a revival thread from redbull but note I really wanna know what @TallTom got for a ruling from the judge

Buddy has an 06 e350 that I've been chasing issues on for two years and this explains all of it. I know this is a revival thread from redbull but note I really wanna know what @TallTom got for a ruling from the judge
So for the Ford portion I lost on appeal. However I am satisfied from the result of the settlement I got from Continental. FURTHER....I participated in the Class Action suit against Ford for the sparkplugs. Got enough from that to make me feel like I got my pound of flesh out of Ford.

When I came to the appeal court, Ford sent 3 attorneys. All hired from a high end Birmingham Al law firm. They were talking amongst themselves before the court docket was called. One said...There is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to lose this to a Pro Se litigant. I was happy to know that even though I lost, those suits probably ran Ford about 4-5K. They were 3rd party non Ford attorneys. They actually were quite respectful to me and the plight I was in. So all in all while I will never ever buy another Ford product, I gave them quite a lick of fight.

Now a year after that....out of the blue.......my tranny went out. $5 bearing in the tail shaft failed. Ground up metal pumped into the rest of the tranny. $1200 later, its still the biggest POS I have ever owned. But she is my POS and she lives under a tree in my yard now. I will drive it/use it until she falls apart somewhere thats too expensive to eff with.

So for the Ford portion I lost on appeal. However I am satisfied from the result of the settlement I got from Continental. FURTHER....I participated in the Class Action suit against Ford for the sparkplugs. Got enough from that to make me feel like I got my pound of flesh out of Ford.

When I came to the appeal court, Ford sent 3 attorneys. All hired from a high end Birmingham Al law firm. They were talking amongst themselves before the court docket was called. One said...There is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to lose this to a Pro Se litigant. I was happy to know that even though I lost, those suits probably ran Ford about 4-5K. They were 3rd party non Ford attorneys. They actually were quite respectful to me and the plight I was in. So all in all while I will never ever buy another Ford product, I gave them quite a lick of fight.

Now a year after that....out of the blue.......my tranny went out. $5 bearing in the tail shaft failed. Ground up metal pumped into the rest of the tranny. $1200 later, its still the biggest POS I have ever owned. But she is my POS and she lives under a tree in my yard now. I will drive it/use it until she falls apart somewhere thats too expensive to eff with.

My last F-150 was a POS as well...entire front end replaced (upper and lower control arms, ball joints, etc), ABS pump went, axle seals went, 4x4 went out twice, tranny went (same problem), exhaust manifolds cracked. The truck had 170,000kms (105,000 miles) on it.

NEVER shall another Ford truck be present in my driveway.

NEVER shall another
Ford truck be present

in my driveway . . .

:poke:

u really like to sue people.

...and this was the 3rd F-150 I owned, the other 2 were ok other than the usual front end falling out of them. One was the 4.2 V-6 and the head gasket failed dumping the coolant into the oil (fixed under warranty only cost me labor)

Back