Had a real scare on my ride Saturday

warbrown

Bald and Busafied
Donating Member
Registered
The weather has been so nice around here lately that I've been trying to take advantage of it as much as I can. Saturday was no exception as it was near 60 degrees, and I hopped on Diablo for an afternoon ride. All was going well as I practiced 3rd and 4th gear roll-on wheelies until I came down from one and the bike kept pulling. I let off the throttle, and even twisted it back as far as I could, but it kept pulling. Pulling in the clutch helped for that moment, but the engine would rev high, so I just killed the engine and coasted until I could stop to assess the situation. Of course I'd forgotten my cell phone, and since I wasn't too far from Sageronin's house I limped over there through a combination of letting the bike pull me along, revving high, then killing the engine, then roll-starting again. (I figured it might be a turbo related problem and I would at least have it parked close enough where GPW could take a look) Of course he wasn't home, so I started a deeper inspection thatn I had done on the side of the road for anything obvious that might be awry. It was when I got the tank up and was checking the idle screw that my problem became very apparent. I loose wire had found its way to the end of the idle screw so that when I released the throttle it would pinch the wire and wouldn't do a full return. The small width of the wire made about a 5500rpm difference in my idle speed! I've since taped it all back to prevent it from happening again, but it was definitely not an experience I'd like to go through again. An idle speed of 6500 rpm and a turbo is not a good combination. I was very lucky.

idlescrew.jpg

Here I am before departure. Despite the scare I still love this bike!

newbusa2.jpg

Wow Warren...glad you figured out the problem and nothing went wrong...Diablo is a beautiful ride
biggrin.gif

It was beautiful here yesterday too...went out for about 4 hours of riding in the most perfect weather I've seen in a while
smile.gif
Oh, and I found that I still suck in the twisties
laugh.gif

(VaBusa @ Dec. 18 2006,05:42) Oh, and I found that I still suck in the twisties
laugh.gif
Don't worry... I suck in the twisties now too. (At least until I get used to this turbo!)

(warbrown @ Dec. 18 2006,14:31)
(VaBusa @ Dec. 18 2006,05:42) Oh, and I found that I still suck in the twisties
laugh.gif
Don't worry...  I suck in the twisties now too.  (At least until I get used to this turbo!)
If I had that turbo Busa, I wouldn't suck in the twisties...I'd never make it to 'em without wrapping myself around something LOL

Glad you're enjoying the bike though Warren...honestly, I've talked to DJ about Diablo since he bought it...it's a great bike...
smile.gif

Man, I bet that was scary at first.

I would get some black nylon wire ties and use them instead of tape ............

(guido4512 @ Dec. 18 2006,06:38) Man, I bet that was scary at first.

I would get some black nylon wire ties and use them instead of tape ............
I agree, but I couldn't find my zip ties, so I just used some electrical tape and wrapped the wires along a bracket. They aren't going anywhere.

glad you and Diablo both made it out of that ok
beerchug.gif

glad yer okay man sounds like you had an eventful day. that would be scary with a turbo. glad the problem was just idle screw.

(guido4512 @ Dec. 18 2006,11:38) Man, I bet that was scary at first.

+10
zip ties at least 2.

Good save, that was some quick thinking.

Glad it was nothing serious.

I don't think I would trust that tape and I would have to move the wires away from all moving parts!!!

Can you imagine what could of happened?

An Angel was watching out for you my friend.

runeight...

Back