Had a major scare

Big Bo

Registered
Laying on the bed doing the computer thing and decided to go to the store. Stood up and my heart started racing. This has happened before. But I ignored it. Take a few deep breaths, exhale hard and some times it would go away.

Anyway, we train at work to know the signs of heart related emergencies. I went down stairs and thought of going to the store anyway. Had second thoughts. Back up stairs, called my son(he drives my truck). Told him I needed to go to the hospital. He arrived and drove me to a hospital.

I was admitted, observed, and checked into a room. Drugs, blood being drawn, more drugs, and even more and more and more blood being drawn.
My blood pressure was high, I have high blood pressure. They gave me meds to lover my BP. Then adminestered meds to control the racing heart.
BP went down, to low. More meds to raise my BP. Later that night I was given the med to control the erratic rythem.

Cardio Dr. came in and we talked, will set up an appointment to see him.

Did not get much sleep because being woke constantly to draw blood, and or administer more meds.

Woke up at 05:30, prob got 3 hrs sleep the whole night. Watched the nurses change shifts. And at 10:00 I was released.

Not a fun day/night.

Doing good. I was not in any pain, no ill feelings, just the racing heart.

Back at work the next night. Contemplating life.

I have no idea why I wrote this. Maybe a form of expression. I don`t know.

Hopefully everything is alright. I'd say you did the right thing by getting checked out, have read that a big majority of people who have major heart attacks have had many warnings in the prior hours/days leading up to the event. If you have had long term hypertension, it's always good to pay attention to anything new and different. Preventive is always the best bet.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I was in the hospital a couple years ago for 2 weeks with heart failure. It changes how you look at everything. If you are like me you have been abusing your body all your life. Football, weight lifting, working too many hours, crashing bikes, etc. It really changes how you think when you realize you aren't undestructible.

Be a good patient. Take your meds and be careful. You were smart to go to the hospital - most of us guys just try and see if it will go away.

Take care

Take good care of yourself, buddy. Remember that the Docs know best.

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

You got to take care of yourself man! go see that cardio doc and have a stress test and echo done to make sure you're good to go.

Glad you didn't ignore your symptoms. Please keep us updated on what the cardiologist has to say.
Back in 1999 I had what felt like my heart was skipping beats. Went to the doc, had to wear a monitor for 3 days and got a diagnosis of "PVC" premature ventricular contractions. Its bothersome when it happens but not something that should shorten my life. So get that ticker checked out and I'll say a prayer or 10 that all will be good.

Glad to hear it was nothing yet.

It is better to go to the hospital and not have a heart attack, than not go to the hospital and have one.

I am so glad you opted to head to the hospital!! So many, myself included, wait that stuff out and oftentimes that's the wrong thing to do.

I'm sure you'll be called in for stress tests and such, but I'm sure you'll be in very capable hands and know what's going on soon. Keep us posted and take it easy :)

Thanks everybody. I decided to take a short 30 mile ride yesterday to a local town. Once there I go inside and talk to the salesman/manager that has tried to seel me a bike for years. Turns out he just had a triple by-pass! I was floored. He is one year younger than me. And is about 50lbs lighter. He says it runs in the family. We talked/joked and caught up on life since the last time we has seen one another. Seven weeks after his surgery he was back at work. He says he so glad he had the proceedure done, it save his life. 3 weeks back at work and he is moving bikes and he rides his quads.

I told him he was scaring the crap out of me. We laughed. I go to see the Cardio Dr. in two weeks. :clap: He told me give up caffine. Bought Yuban decaf, I will stop drinking coffee before I am forced to drink this crap. Researched Decaf coffee and found out that Starbucks Decaf Sumatra is a good decaf. Bought the beans, I like to gring my own coffee. Pretty good stuff.

The waiting begins.

in 2005 went through having a stent put in one of my valves. Don't know where out of the blue that came from. Just had pain in my arm and felt faint so went to the hospital where they all started freaking out when I got there and that didn't help me. I just wanted the pain in my arm to stop. All is good and doc said that heart is better than when I was in my 20's. you have to take your meds regularly and keep up with your appointments.

Very very glad that you are ok and made the right decision.

Very glad to hear you're ok! I have weird heart stuff off and on, and its not cool.. I had MAJOR freak outs like that when I quit caffeine. I was thoroughly addicted to caffeine and I quit it cold turkey. My body wasn't happy with me. :banghead:

It was harder to quit caffeine for me than it was to quit smoking..

Good luck, and keep us posted. :please:

I will do my best to do as the Dr. orders.

Will also keep everyone updated on my info as it is relayed to me from the Dr.

I had several episodes with a racing heartbeat, very scary. Turns out I had to go on blood pressure meds. I've been able since to cut my dose through watching what I eat and walking/running 5 days a week to lessen the side effects of the meds. Best of luck to you.

That is a scare. Glad you're OK and working with a doctor.

It's a broken record, but here in the US and Western Europe, heart related issues are the #1 killer every year, responsible for more than 50% of deaths in America each year.

Diet/nutrition and exerciese - we can all do better but it's so easy to "put off" doing better. We should all take this as a reminder and a call to take better care of ourselves and our families.

Good luck to not only Bo but to all of us!

almost sounds like Supraventricular tachycardia or somthin similar but that usually is accompanied by low bp. I only say that because you say its happened before. i get an episode every now and then, take deep breaths and it goes away and had no Idea what it was. feels like your heart is racing and correcting itself. then my father had an episode that lasted for a few minutes and being older and not feeling nearly as immortal as I do, he went to the hospital and thats what brought it to my attention because its hereditary. whatever it is good luck and take care

take it easy and just roll with it. good to hear that you went to the hospital to get checked out instead of ignoring the signs. i am sure whatever is going on you caught at an early stage. :thumbsup:

Back