H/D bailed out like chevy!

RACER_X

Registered
Government Aid for Struggling H-D Credit Arm

Government Aid for Struggling H-D Credit Arm

By Gabe Ets-Hokin

The struggling Goliath that is Harley-Davidson took a spoonful of government-aid elixir on November 23rd. A group of investors are using $562 million in TALF-which stands for Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility, if that helps you at all-funding to underwrite a huge bond deal. The bond terms vary between one and three years and are backed by the Federal program.

H-D's flagging profits have been further diminished by the blows dealt to HDFS, Harley's financing arm (which has been hit hard by the recession and has already borrowed money at very high interest rates from private investors). TALF makes H-D bonds attractive and carry a low interest rate, because the funds are backed by the Federal Reserve bank. That money should be used to finance motorcycle purchases and, hopefully, spur the Motor Company into solid black ink again.

In other H-D news, subsidiary MV Agusta-up for sale-will be brokered by Italian investment firm BNP Paribas. Despite the exotic-bike maker's new model releases, it's still hemorrhaging money. When it does sell, it'll probably go for a lot less money than the $109 million H-D paid for it in July of 2008

They should go back to making farm equipment.

Harley Davidson - THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO CONVERT GASOLINE INTO NOISE WITHOUT THE PESKY SIDE-EFFECTS OF HORSEPOWER

Well there it goes folks, despite all the effort we still got suckered into buying Harley's...well sorta..

yep, we all bought harleys...we just dont get to ride them.:lol: Hopefully it'll help them get back on thier feet. Last thing we need is another big company going down and a bunch more Americans losing their jobs. :banghead:

Harleys financing service would loan money to anyone its seemed like. My buddy has horrible credit and he got approved for 20k+ and I know several people that got approved that I wouldn't loan a wooden nickel to because of them always being behind and getting phones utilities and such cut off. Need some personal responsibility here. We lose jobs, and waste tax money all because some big wigs make poor decisions. Gets more and more dissapointing every time I hear bailout.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ford is fast becoming the only US vehicle manufacturer I will buy anything from.

Think they'll start making motorcycles?

Its a shame is what it is I m not a Harley guy but I am a fan of America and would love to see things here going in the right way for our country.

Harleys financing service would loan money to anyone its seemed like. My buddy has horrible credit and he got approved for 20k+ and I know several people that got approved that I wouldn't loan a wooden nickel to because of them always being behind and getting phones utilities and such cut off. Need some personal responsibility here. We lose jobs, and waste tax money all because some big wigs make poor decisions. Gets more and more dissapointing every time I hear bailout.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sick of all the bailouts as well but I look at it like this, if we had control of our tax money, wouldnt we want to use it to help keep american business's afloat? I wouldnt have given so much to the banks, but as far as helping out huge American manufacturers that provide thousands of jobs for us....I really couldnt think of a better place to put it. I just wish they would make them reorganize to use it more wisely as part of a stipulation.:banghead:

I'm sick of all the bailouts as well but I look at it like this, if we had control of our tax money, wouldnt we want to use it to help keep american business's afloat? I wouldnt have given so much to the banks, but as far as helping out huge American manufacturers that provide thousands of jobs for us....I really couldnt think of a better place to put it. I just wish they would make them reorganize to use it more wisely as part of a stipulation.:banghead:

I don't have a problem with helping to keep jobs here but I feel like the lessons are going unlearned and is kinda like attacking a knife wound with a barbie band aid.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have a problem with helping to keep jobs here but I feel like the lessons are going unlearned and is kinda like attacking a knife wound with a barbie band aid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amen brother, I understand that feeling completely. :banghead:

here we go again.....

HD decides to sell a "lifestyle" and an image...instead building modern, exciting motorcycles...didn't they do that in the 70's?

HD finance lends to anybody with a pulse.....

and why not....because Uncle Sam will be there to bail them out when it comes crashing down.

how do you sell $20k status symbols.....while having no real "entry level bike".

tell me one time you heard a japanese dealership disparage its entry level bikes....like i have heard HD salesman do to Buells, and Sportsters.

Absolutely not. If H-D makes bad decisions, then they should fail. It doesn't matter if they take handouts from the government, or handouts from us, either unsolicited, or through pity-purchases of products we wouldn't otherwise buy, if they don't feel the financial pain brought about from their poor quality products, they won't learn.

This can be applied to any company, corporation, or industry. The businesses that would crop up in the absence of government handouts would provide more new jobs than the ones lost.

:thumbsup::beerchug:

Factor in the 109 MILLION for buying MV-Augusta...wtf.
As the recession is looming they blow 109 million and then ask for a handout.

Why isn't the CEO AND whoever decided buying MV a bright idea have both
their heads on plater. These people are idiots. Yet, get paid 6 or 7 figures :banghead:

A 10 year old would think that was a dumb idea.
Then after the millions in handout money CEO lame arse puffs his chest out
and spouts the rhetoric "Umm..umm..yessss..this is the best way for our company
to move forward...yes...yes, where's my bonus?"

Stupid business ideas pt. 2
Indian Motorcycles

I don't have the article in front of me but they spent 30 Million dollars
to revitalize the Indian name. Buying the cad motor designs from the last
failed attempt and tried to "update" them...however, after 3 years of R&D
the idiots didn't have time to either add a counter balancer shaft or rubber
engine mounts.

So not to mention that the bottle cap engine is one cheaply looking fugly
constructed engine with poor poor performance of which the author commented
it's not a bad bike as long as you stay between 20-65mph. Under 20 the beast
is so heavy and poorly designed makes handling a major chore and over 65
the vibra motor will require a kidney transplant all for the low price of....$36,497.

Anyone else see the shear genius of investing MILLIONS in making a $36,000 POS
that you can only drive between 20-65mph in middle of the Great Recession.
These people seem braindead and make easily identifiable huge mistakes, how
on earth do they get to these positions to begin with :banghead:

I mean Jay Leno will buy one to add to his collection but other than that...

Last edited:
Back