Gyro Stabilized Video

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Since I saw the Rossi videos on MotoGP with the gyro cam 2 years ago I have been trying to make one. I tried physical gyros made with helicopter motors. I found out that you cannot do this with just gyros because of the side accelerations. You need 2 gyros to cancel each other out and an accelerometer to track drift. Very complicated to do physically if it's even possible.

Then I found out through some reading about 6 degree of freedom machines that use digital gyros and accelorometers to hold a position. As amazing as it may seem, there is apparently no way for a machine to truly know a position and hold it like humans do almost without thinking. I got 2 digital gyros, a digital accelerometers and a micro controller to run it all. I was using RC servos to spin the camera. The programming was C# and I quickly realized I didn't have the math skills in C# to take the output from all the gyros and accelorometers and combine that to a number in degrees that would tell the servo what angle to spin the camera. So I started to read up on the math and try to learn how to do it.

Well work got in the way and I had to put the toys down. Then I saw this Tarot 2D brushless Gimbal for the Gopro3. This thing cost $160, came unassembled, had all the sensors and math already programmed!

So, after about $1000 in experiments and who knows how many hours trying to figure this out I am near a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow I will figure out how to mount it on the bike. In the video it is running on bike power and I got the adapter to run the GoPro on bike power too.

This is getting exciting! Someone beat me to this but I wasn't trying to be first, I just wanted to do it for some reason. Yes I am a nerd. :cookoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: Check out some of Pashnit's pics, he has one of these too! Super cool shots!

Back