Gym Enthusiasts

routemanj

Registered
So, how many of the org members enjoy their gym time every week. I started on a life style change in October of 09. Started hitting the gym 5-7 days a week doing a mix of cardio and lifting. I was 330+ and nothing but fat when I started.
Well fast forward to today, and I'm still going. Its like a drug for me. I love the results of putting all your heart into something and feeling good about yourself. I'm now down to about 245. (much is muscle now too)
I still have about 30 pounds I'd like to lose, but am totally satisfied with the results of 15 months of working out.

I was just curious who else love the gym. Any secrets or results you'd like to share? Any personal victories?

Yep ! 3 times a week & ... I did reach my goal ( and a little over ) at Christmas . My goal was to squat 500lbs and I got 545Lbs for 3 reps.
I always had bird legs and a good upper body. SO I'm trying to remedy the situation . Now when leaving the gym I can barely walk out the door , I push myself til nothings left..
The only thing ( secret I know ) is Hit it hard , an BS'ing while working out. Get'er done!

great squat goal. Lamb started last year with the ability to do 1 rep at 290 pounds...what a wuss, i know! After 1 year of hard work Lamb did a 360 pound squat. The goal for the next year is 410. On my way to 500! Its a ways off yet but with time its attainable.

Deadlift is way more respectable...last jan..330 for 1 rep. This jan..420
standing military press...last jan. 145 for 1 rep....this jan. 200 for 1 rep! YEAH! My body weight over my head! WOOHOO! The feeling was incredible! I was walking on air for days!!

The trick for Lamb is to have a plan and write it down. Follow the plan and don't go home until the gym time is done. Home equals relaxation equals bad workout! for me at least

I'm no physical trainer, but I'm long past the days of 1 rep sets and maxes and don't really see the benefit. I have no desire to be under that much weight ever again...but I'll throw 225 around as many times as I can. I'd much rather have tone and stamina than a bunch of mass I don't anything with anymore beside carry it around. I can see the excitement of raising your max if it's new to you or you're actually working towards preparing for something. I guess it all depends on what you're going for. Keep it up.

Currently 3 times a week... but wish it was more. Still recovering from surgery on my left hand! Carpal tunnel surgery, the hand is getting better but I am limited to what I can do... But I am doing something now.. better then nothing! I had 2 1/2 moths off till the doctor said it was ok. I have been on and off to the gym for the last year and a half due to surgeries!

Last edited:
Gym 3xs a week....upper body only, emphasis on reps over gross weight. What I really do is ride my bicycles(road and mountain) 150+ miles weekly. Started 2 years ago at 260 and I'm now 200 with blood pressure @ 98/58. 63 years old and beat most 35 year olds on bicycles! (it's OK to brag on the org).
Two things I think are important....do a full blood panel and learn what it all means....and eat what's called a prediabetic type menu. Sounds terrible but it is not. Mainly, when I stopped eating refined sugar and high glycemic carbs, my life changed!

Gym 3xs a week....upper body only, emphasis on reps over gross weight. What I really do is ride my bicycles(road and mountain) 150+ miles weekly. Started 2 years ago at 260 and I'm now 200 with blood pressure @ 98/58. 63 years old and beat most 35 year olds on bicycles! (it's OK to brag on the org).
Two things I think are important....do a full blood panel and learn what it all means....and eat what's called a prediabetic type menu. Sounds terrible but it is not. Mainly, when I stopped eating refined sugar and high glycemic carbs, my life changed!

100% agree on giving up the refined sugars and bad carbs. That is the one thing I always tell people that asked me how I did it.

Lamb is hbitting the ball further than ever!!!

Woohoo to 375 foot bombs!

If whatever's the matter with my back ever gets sorted out, im lookin at hitting the gym. My job is pretty physical so that keeps the weight off. Id like to build some muscle to keep from re-injuring my back and it'll make work ALOT easier...

lol...jet li.....i wish i could make time for the gym...for me its almost imp[ossible. I have 4 kids and work nights...i coach youth soccer for 1 of my kids and soon to start for another of my kids... so time is a valuable item these days. I am not in the worst of shape though 6'3" 215 lbs. I wouldnt mind squeezing off 15 lbs and putting a little muscle on the legs myself though.

damn working out, its all i can do to rehab from the crash last april. anyway my OL is 12 years younger than me and a cheerleading instructor along with gymnastics coach,so she keeps me busy. walking out to the car is enough for me......................

I've been cycling all my life. Very good workout if you ask me. I do elliptical machines if I can't make it on time for the class. Just another reason why I hardly ride my Busa after work. My wife and I go 3-5 times a week.
I took this picture 30 minutes before the class started. I just wanted to share it.:)

Gym 002.jpg

I've been cycling all my life. Very good workout if you ask me. I do elliptical machines if I can't make it on time for the class. Just another reason why I hardly ride my Busa after work. My wife and I go 3-5 times a week.
I took this picture 30 minutes before the class started. I just wanted to share it.:)

Good for you, spin hard,spin long!

P1030248.JPG

I'm not quite a GYM rat... but I am additcted to ZUMBA!! Lost 35 lbs since May... :cheerleader:

Me too, started when I was 9 years old, rode Juveniles, Juniors, Seniors, 1 year Pro, then back to Amateur, then Veterans. My problem is work gets in the way and if I can't compete, I lose interest. If I'm off the bike for more than 6 months, it's almost a divorce, or a new job, so I have just started again. It's a lot of work to get back in shape, hopefully by September I will be able to stay with the bunch again.

One of the best work outs you can get, fixes everything from gutt to back, arms legs.

The best part is a Busa is sooooo comfy, once you step off that little narrow bicycle seat after a 6 hour ride. :laugh:
When someone says a Busa is uncomfortable, I always say: "You wanna try my Colnago for a few hours?"

Last edited:
Congrats routemanj!!! Always good to see someone making their fitness goals. And indeed the biggest key is to make a lifestyle change!

As far as max reps, Jet's joints are too banged up and old now for that, I will leave that to the young whipper snappers full of testosterone!!! I just care about the looks now, just wanna look good and feel vital. Besides a max on squats is not adviseable when you no longer have a right ACL!!!! I constantly work the mind muscle connection and get quality over quantity. Hey everyone hits the gym for different reasons and with different goals, and that is totally cool. Just go and do it, that is what matters most.

Couple folks mentioned diet. That is first and foremost in this arena. Without the proper nutrition to fuel and aid in recovery, no workout plan is complete and may even be dangerous..............

I hit my gym 6 times a week. But considering it's upstairs makes it much easier.
d81ff383-c3ba-c454.jpg

d81ff383-c3d7-45e8.jpg

It's all about P90X and my treadmill for me.

Back