Guys, ICON mainframe helmet, comments or reviews..

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I currently am using a Scorpion EXO700 that I really like, It hit the asphalt with my head in it in November and suffered visible shell damage.  It needs to be replaced before the BASH.  I was gonna get a EXO1000 but it iws more than I want to spend with the van purchase I just made and the BASH less than a month away.  I also have two HJCS one CL12 and one CL14, They both fit and work but have gotten sloppy fitting with use and suck at high speed...

I found the ICON Mainframe in Subhuman grey/red in my size(XL) in a 2008 model on clearance at a local dealership with my discount for $179.00 but I don't know anyone that owns one.  Are they any good as a "get me through the season" helmet.  For the price I really cannot go wrong.  They had a couple XXL's in other designs for $199.00

I just don't want to waste the $$$

SubhmanGreyFront.jpg

I bought this helmet helmet below which is a halo mainframe helmet, and i love the helmet. It fits well, very comfortable, but the paint quality sucks.

ic_mfhfh_2T.jpg

More concerned about whistling or buffeting at speed or the liner compressing like the HJC's... How is the ventilation? Thanx.

I have an Icon Mainframe and I wear an XL also. I've had it for 2 years now and it does the trick and I get cold riding weather here. For the price you're getting I'd get it. But my next one might be an Arai "Profile" series. Man the thing fit like a glove. They have 3 different "head forms" per size. I actually fit in a Large instead of an XL.

No whistling at all. Ventilation is great if you have the vents open, obviously, but other than that one complaint I have on it fits, feels, and looks great to me!
beerchug.gif

I bought the Mainframe Solid Black and like it. Compared to my HJC it's heaven. What I like about it is;

- There are 'ear pockets' in the padding for my big ears.
- The neck opening has a chin cover to prevent cold air from entering...been loving that this winter.

What I don't like;

- The venting doesn't seem like its going to keep me very cool this summer...remains to be tested

Bottom line for me: It looks great for the price and performs hella better than my HJC

Thanks guys, as mentioned for the money I probably cannot go wrong and am safer that in the damaged Scorpion.

I bought mine about a year ago (same size) and love it... bought my wife the same--- she could also tell a big difference in what we had-- we had started out with some budget Fulmer helmets... But the Kevlar/dyneema shell is tough and the ventilation is good to me...also cuts through the wind very well to me-- I am very pleased with it too. NewEnough.com had my very same helmet on clearance about a week and a half ago for I think $150--- I paid $280 new for mine--- might want to check it out too if you like the look better or maybe someone else might be interested.. check the website in the "clearance" section if you want..

i have the icon domain. i am very pleased with it. and for the money your gonna get that one for buy 2!!
thumb_up.gif

e01012263.jpg

i had the mainframe a while back fit is pretty dead on for the money not a bad helmet, seems like it could have used more vents it didnt flow as good as some of the other helmets ive had

I had one before, black rubatone. I loved it, great helmet, vents are ok, but I live in Cali so its not too extreme here. It also saved my life during an accident, got cut off by a driver who then hit his brake, rear ending the car and landed head first on the highway, took the vents right off the top, but no injury to me. I bought a parimeter(sp) domain to replace it. I pretty much have all icon gear from boots, to glove to knee/shin gaurds. The make great gear for the urban/street rider.

I have both,the mainframe and the domain,i like the mainframe better,domaine is lighter but hard to turn your head at speed,wind catches the scoop somehow

I have the Icom Mainframe,Death from Above, I like it over my Shoei, fits well and is not noisey.  
beerchug.gif
Oh, and mine came with a tinted visor and I ordered a tinted visor, so be aware of that. Check what comes with it, now I have three visors for it.
face7.gif

Same here with Mainframe death from above, I now have two shoei and one KBC sitting on a shelf without seing the light of day. The fit is perfect and it could use a bit of more ventilation (hawaii= hot as heck) but other than that I will keep buying their products. And the only reason i bought it was for the cartoons...LOL
firedevil.gif

+10

Be careful ordering ICON helmets the same size you order other helmets. I wear a large Shoie and a large ICON made my brain feel like it was going to come out my nose. I had to get a XLarger. Their helmets run small. I just got my new 2008 Airframe Claymore in the mail today from Jester @ Ryders Connection!

Back