Guys and Gals I need your help!

SkootRRgirl

Registered
My 2005 busa is having electrical problems. I took it to the shop had a new stator put in as well as a new stock rectifier. I run LED's and I did have a stereo system on it but it is no longer in use. At the time of installation of all my new mods, I put in a Ricks Motorsports after market rectifier, changed the battery and DID NOT change the stator. The bike ran great for at least two years with no issue, then all of a sudden the connector to my rectifier from my wiring harness burned up, that is when I took it to the shop to get it fixed. The replaced the stator, fixed the wiring harness up to where it was not burned and put a stock rectifier in, 2 months later the same connector burned up again. I got another Ricks Motorsports after market rectifier so that can be replaced if the rectifier went out. But honestly I do not know what is causing the problem other than maybe a short somewhere in the wiring harness. I have looked all over for a new one for real cheap however, 1st I have no idea what I am looking for and 2nd $700.00 or more is way out of my price range, so if anyone has any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem, and where I can find a cheap wiring harness (if one is needed) I'd greatly appreciate it. I need my Mufasa to be up and running again, shoot the bash is coming up, Daytona and Leesburg, I have to be ready. Someone please help! Thanks

My guess would be trace the wiring harness and search for bare wires or a short somewhere. I wonder why a fuse didn't blow before the harness melted ??? We have a lot of people on here with lots of electrical knowledge that should chime in soon.

Sounds like bad connection to me.Loose plugs and connections will create a lot of heat and eventually burn up.I make sure mine are all tight and use dielectric grease to seal them.I think you had more load than the wiring and stator was rated for.

Thanks for the rapid responses which is more than I can say for the shop working on my bike. It has been a week and they are still not done with it. Found out today that YES the connector is what is burned up which is what was wrong with it before so obviously when I took it in before they did not find the source of the problem. I am frustrated because I spend a lot of money with this shop to get and keep my bike right and I feel that if it has already been in this shop for the same issue and was charged almost 400.00 to fix it, that the problem should have been resolved. Instead the owner of the shop told me that electrical parts are not warrantied and tried to blame the issue on my LED's and running my high beam. Of course he did say he was going to give me a discount this time but really shouldn't he not be charging me at all because I had previously brought it in for the same problem about 2 months ago. Really I just don't get it! I spend massive amounts of money with this guy, bring him customers, and yet and still I have to pay him to fix a problem that should have already been fixed. urrggghhhhh man am I frustrated! Sorry guys just needed to vent!:banghead:

no I brought it to a local shop that I have dealt with since before I have owned the bike. My issue is that I've already poured the money into getting it fixed right the first time and now my funds are limited.

Unless both side of the connector that melted are replaced, it will melt again. I have fixed a couple of honda bikes by cutting the connector out and soldering and heat shrinking the stator wires for a permanent repair.

If your bike had a short in the wiring I think you would have other issues like popped fuses and a battery that goes dead very quickly.

Back