Gutting the cats

This job requires a big hammer and an big pry bar. Take the pry bar and jam it into the converter. Start banging around, tearing things up. Beat on it with a hammer from time to time. Probably while prying and poking, you'll think there are a bunch of metal baffles inside the converter. Well, the AIR tube crosses the middle of the cat, but otherwise it's nothing but cat material. It's not called a "brick" for nothing, y'know.
When you think you've got it all, or you get tired, stick a shop vac into the end of the cat to suck out some of the dust and bits. Then, fire the car up and let it idle for a couple minutes. This process blows out some of the chunks and loosens up bits of cracked brick. Sweep up the brick dust (you don't want to lie in this stuff; in fact, you'd be well-advised to use a creeper, even after sweeping) and go at it some more. Repeat the shop vac and idle procedure. It may take two or three times of doing this to get it completely gutted.

ya or you can just cut it open and take everything out and have it welded back together. thats what my friend did on his R1. i think i might do the same. keep me posted if you do and if you like it.

Thanks fellas.

I took the system off all ready.

I think I'll go out there, drill and beat the hell out of the thing until I give up. Then monday order a full system.
beerchug.gif

Back