Gutting stock cans

98vobra

Registered
I was thinking about gutting my stock cans and painting them black. Does anyone have a sound clip of this? Also how hard is it to do?

Thanks

Steve

It wouldnt be an easy task but that depends on the amount of gutting you want to do. (sound would be an issue also). I bought my 03' used and I noticed that it had a pretty throaty sound for stock so I took the cans off and saw that someone had punched a hole in the rear chamber allowing a straight shot for the exhaust to get out. From the rear you can take a hole saw and cut about a 1 1/2 hole in the primary chamber and get a pretty good sould from them. The more you take out the louder I sespect it will get. Performance wise I dont know that you will improve but it will be louder. I went ahead and ordered some yosh's for mine.

<!--EDIT|reward69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129340479 -->

If there was a way to remove the baffle, I bet they would sound pretty good.:;):

You may not notice an increase in power, but you may find a decrease. Unlike crusiers the hayabusa's engine setup relies on the back-pressure created by cans. Buy a real set of pipes and map the bike, you will reduce the chance of a major engine problem in the future. See back-issues of Cycleworld's geek, a hayabusa owner wanted to take them off completely, the geek warned this would do damage to the engine. Gutting the cans may leave the same outcomes.

Gutting the cans ain't gonna hurt anything. it'll sound louder, but any power gains will be unnoticeable. I ran mine with no can, 4-1 Yosh header. made no difference in mph or trap speed in the 1/4, just made it sound louder. Now running with no exhaust at all, you run the risk of damage.....

I drilled holes in mine...no sound clip, but they do sound better than stockers...only thing I notice is a backfire every blue moon...

I was thinking about gutting my stock cans and painting them black. Does anyone have a sound clip of this? Also how hard is it to do?

Thanks

Steve
I will sell you mine for $50.00 shipped to your door. My best friend (Bob Farris) is the Post Master of the Wood River, IL PO, and can vouch for me.

They sound like D&Ds, good rumble, only fairly loud when you get on them.

If you don't like them I will refund your $50.00, you pay shipping back to me. e-mail me if you are interested.

Tom.

<!--EDIT|Postal
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129585169 -->

side1.jpg

Back