Guns on College Campuses

There's capital punishment in Japan. Bring that back and we'll see how our crime drops..

My grandmother (rest her soul, she passed in 1992) used to say that if we would bring back public hangings, the crime rate would drop drastically. She saw a few as a little girl.

In TN you can qual with anything and carry anything.

In Oklahoma you qualify with one of 3 weapons... A derringer, a revolver or an automatic. If you qualify with anything other than an automatic, you can only carry that type of weapon. If you qualify with an automatic then you can carry anything AND we are open carry so you if you see someone on a Black Cherry Ultra with a USP .45 Tactical with a 2" muzzle brake in a tactical thigh holster.............. THAT'S ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I need to go buy a gun just in case any of you go off the deep end........???

Edit: I read this again and I mean no one any harm by that statement. I was just pointing out if we are all going to carry I guess I need to also and you can see how this escalates into a real problem.

In TN you can qual with anything and carry anything.

True. However, before TN enacted its CCW law (in the 90's), the only people that could issue a permit were the Sheriff's and only for their jurisdiction. I had one in Memphis when I lived there for a year ('89). You could only carry the gun you qualified with, and that had to be a .38 or .357, revolver only, 6 inch barrel or less. Was only good in Shelby County (although it might get you a little grace if you got caught with it elsewhere). You basically had to know someone who knew the Sheriff, and 'contribute' to his re-election campaign...I still have my Ruger GP 100 .357 Stainless....

I guess I need to go buy a gun just in case any of you go off the deep end........???

Edit: I read this again and I mean no one any harm by that statement. I was just pointing out if we are all going to carry I guess I need to also and you can see how this escalates into a real problem.

By all means do, I applaud someone who decides it's not the government who is going to protect him, but himself...make sure you get some training, legally apply for a permit and attend the classes, know and understand gun safety, and I'll be the first to welcome you to the world of CCW and supporters of the 2A.

It's only a problem if you can't keep control of yourself Arch...

There's capital punishment in Japan. Bring that back and we'll see how our crime drops..

That would only work if there were no appeals allowed and after a guilty verdict the capital punishment was carried out within a month or less.
No waiting 10-15 years to carry it out like they do now.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
― Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life & writings of Benjamin Franklin

this website tracks and posts self defense gun use in US. Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

I haven't carefully read each post but where I work there's two college campuses and weapons are carried by students. On one campus two students have been shot by another student on campus and at the other campus a weapon dropped out of a students pants discharging but striking no one. There's been several shootings or shots fired calls at both, usually after a campus sponsored party ends. So the students already carry. I can't imagine how many weapons are stored in dorms and vehicles on campus. Drugs and alcohol are very common. You can't walk into a dorm without smelling weed. Lean is commonly manufactured and used as well as a large number of other drugs. If you haven't been hands on involved in college life lately you don't know what you're missing. " Animal House " was kids stuff.

Personally I'm not comfortable around any weapons. Don't really have an opinion one way or the other. Don't have a big issue with a college professor legally carrying concealed. Open carry my opinion changes. Weapon retention training comes to mind.

IMHO 1) If we punished criminals, we as a society would have less issues 2) If everyone carried crime rates would drop tremendously

Dadofthree... I agree about retention... even before we were open carry, all of my holsters are at least a level 1 retention. I have a couple of level 3 retention holsters.... I'm not in LE but want my weapon secure as I ride A LOT.

Kansas legislature just passed legal concealed carry for all adults period. Stupidest thing I ever heard of. I'm sure cops will love this (knowing anyone they stop is potentially carrying). Kansas will not require a permit or any training in order to carry concealed. The lawmakers reason that if you can leagally open carry then you should be permitted to conceal carry. I'm sure this will be great for road rage too. College campuses are very dangerous places (at least they will be now). I have a concealed carry permit myself, but am very concerned that just anyone (no training, no background check, no nothing) will now be legal.

Kansas legislature just passed legal concealed carry for all adults period. Stupidest thing I ever heard of. I'm sure cops will love this (knowing anyone they stop is potentially carrying). Kansas will not require a permit or any training in order to carry concealed. The lawmakers reason that if you can leagally open carry then you should be permitted to conceal carry. I'm sure this will be great for road rage too. College campuses are very dangerous places (at least they will be now). I have a concealed carry permit myself, but am very concerned that just anyone (no training, no background check, no nothing) will now be legal.

Honestly, can't say I disagree with you. I'd like to see some training before CCW, and I think TN's CCW law IS 'common sense'. However, the criminals that carry anyway could give a crap..

I see were it has been put into the legi but it hasnt passed that i have seen yet. Jan 22 it was added. It would allow all adults over the age of 21 to carry if they have the legal right to. Meaning not a felon etc. Its just as it should be.

Back