Guns need info

AlbanianEagle

Donating Member
Registered
I went to the firing range with my friend and shot off a few rounds. He had your usual 22 rifle and a 30 30 winchester rifle. Now I want to buy a rifle and was wondering what is a good one to start with and also another one with some power. I also wnat to know the laws about carrying rifles and what can and cannot be bought.

I don't know the laws for NY, but if you are going to hunt or anything, I personally like a 30.06. Plenty of power, wide range of ammo, and a blast to shoot. I have a remington and I love it!!

AE,

Stay away from the new Remingtons. They are having Quality issues as of late. If you want a hunting class rifle go with either a .270 or as stated above a 30-06. As a first rifle and for not breaking the bank take a look at Savage. They are very accurate and have the best factory trigger going right now. If you want a Remington buy used and at least 5 years old. DO NOT buy a Model 710 they are junk!!!
Whatever you decide when you start looking at optics buy the absolute best you can afford. A good rule of thumb is pay at least as much for optics as you did the gun.
When you get it Practice Practice and when you think you have it down practice some more. Good Luck and most importantly BE SAFE!!

Drop a Grand and get an AR-15. Fun to shoot and can be used for many different shooting activities....and the ammo is one of the cheaper ones.

sterb258.gif

i have a small rifle, easy to use ,a 300 webley
truthfully, stay away from this beast unless your hunting black bear

really a 270 would be ideal

The choices are limitless. Ok...well not exactly limitless if you live in NY, but you've still got a huge pool to choose from.

First off you need to decide what you're going to use this rifle for. Much like making modifications to your bike, a certain gun will be more or less suitable for a given situation.

If it's your first gun and you're just going to take it to the range you should seriously look into a decent .22lr. If you decide you want to pursue the shooting hobby there will be plenty of time to buy other bigger rifles. Trust me, once you start bringing them home they'll multiply and you'll be running out of space in the gun cabinet before you know it. Save the high powered magnum cannons for another day. Get your hands on a good Ruger/Marlin/Winchester/Remington .22. Go to the range and PRACTICE. Stop at a department store on the way and pick up a brick of .22lr ammo. You can shoot all day (500+ rounds) for considerably less than you'd pay for 25-50 rounds of high powered rifle ammo. By the time you decide you're ready to move up to a .30 caliber or a .308 or something you'll be a much better shot than if you'd started with a bigger gun.

I've seen far too many people get excited about guns, rush out and buy the biggest and baddest and most expensive thing they can get their hands on, only to shoot it a few times and then let it sit in the closet.

It's easy to want a monster precision rifle right away, but you'll thank yourself for starting small in the end. When you move up to a howitzer you'll be much happier when your first round of $2 a pop ammunition goes through the ten ring because you already know how to shoot. You can't beat a little .22 for an all day plinker. You'll still be grabbing handfuls of long rifle ammo out of the box long after your friends have packed up and gone home.

Decide what direction you want to go and post it up here so someone can make some recommendations for you. There's a lot of gun guys around here so you've got plenty of experience and knowledge to draw from.

walk into a police station and ask them what you want to know , they will give you a straight up awnser with no BS ! just encase you ever do get pulled over goin to and from the range , you will be able to "quote officer ? from the precint #" stuff like the gun in the trunk with a trigger lock installed ammo in a lock box in the front , how to handle gettin pulled over and lettin the officer know there is a weapon in the car ? i would go to the precint that is near your home and ask , cant hurt ! they probably have a packet they will hand you , if not talk to the guy who is running the range he should be able to give you some awnsers
beerchug.gif

CrashBomb is 100% correct here...just like buying a bike, find something small and inexpensive to learn on and hone your skills...you can always upgrade once you have a handle on the smaller guns...after many years of shooting, i still enjoy plinking with a .22...also, sign up to take a safety course if you haven't already...see, this is just like buying a bike
smile.gif

In Nass county you can buy a gun at any gun store and all you have to do is show your drivers lic. While taking the gun to the range it must be in the trunk of the vehicle UNLOADED, Triger lock installed, in a case. With the ammo stored seperate from the firearm. As a resident of nass or suffolk county you may not enter the city limits (Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, etc) with your fire arm unless you are passing through (directly with out stopping) to go hunting upstate. If at any point you are pulled over while transporting your firearm, remain in the vehicle and after you have handed over your DL, Ins card, and reg do you tell the officer where you are going and what is in the trunk! He may or may not ask to see it, if he asks to see it open the trunk, BUT let him remove it from vehicle/case (Now is a good time to remain realy still and not make any sudden moves) Hope this helps!

(BlueHaya @ Mar. 03 2007,14:06) Drop a Grand and get an AR-15.  Fun to shoot and can be used for many different shooting activities....and the ammo is one of the cheaper ones.
1000+

Outstanding accuracy, reliable, high capacity, very fast round. Get one now before you can't. (HR 1022 is already proposed, very bad stuff. Makes the ban of 1994 seem minimal).

Chris

For one, .22's are just plain fun and cheap to shoot. You can get one of those to start out with. Then move up to or just get at the same time something bigger. Go with what you think you can afford/handle. "Personally, i like the Russian guns, AK47, and the SKS for hunting." Haven't shot an AK yet, but it's just an assault rifle version of the SKS. Which i have shot.

The SKS is a 7.62X39 mm round. It is just about perfect for hunting, and probably even self-defense. "Wouldn't recommend it indoors though, it penetrates and goe's straight through." It's also good for hunting because the bullet is fairly large and is going about 2300fps. (Feet per second)

Can't go wrong with a nicely built SKS. "That's what i would probably have to recommend." But go with what YOU think is best.

Good luck with your decision man!
beerchug.gif

Thank you all for your replies.

For now all I want to do is just go to the range and start practicing my aim. I do want to buy a 22 rifle for now because of the cheap ammo and I can get in a lot of shooting, but I don't know which one to get. After I have become very good with the 22 is when I want to make the jump up higher. Also what is the price range for these rifles and what to look for? Any and all info is appreciated.

Thank you.

I'd also recommend the Savage line of rifles, the 110 is a great rifle for a very reasonable price, comes in a variety of calibers, too. AR's are also nice, DPMS and Rock River both offer high quality rifles at prices that are hard to beat. You will run into some restrictions with these in NY.

Check out packing.org. Good website with a lot of info. on federal and state firearms laws.

Good luck!
guns.gif

here in upstate your good to go for a rifle purchase nopermits required. Might be a bit different in the city. Just open your yellow pages and call the first gun smith you can find he will tell you. Or call walmart they will know. Personally I like the 270 winchesters.

I agree with everyone but, I personally like an AK-47 or 74, over the AR-15's...cuz they have too many micro parts and AK's don't have all that, and on ammo? its cheaper than AR's...(bad part is, always carried by the bad guys...in the movie
crazy.gif
)

You can get several different types of semi-automatic .22 lr rifles for around 200$ or less. Almost every time I walk into a gun shop I see one or two used ones for 100-150$, sometimes less. As everyone has already said, they're great learning/target/plinking rifles.

Ak's and the like are nice because you can buy loads of the 7.62 nato rounds (also known as the 308 winchester) on the cheap. Probably one of the cheapest rifles out their to shoot besides a .22 lr.

Otherwise, ar-style rifles (m16, m4, ar-15, etc) are also nice and fairly cheap to shoot, because of how common the 5.56 nato round (aka .223 remington). If you want to drop a large wad on one of these weapons, I highly recommend a look at les baer. They make hand built, custom matched target shooting rifles guarenteed to something like 1/2 or 1/4 moa accuracy (which is very good).

Unless you'll have some big game at the other end of your rifle, or you want to start practicing super long range marksmanship, you'll probably be well off with one of those types of rifles.

Get yourself a Ruger 10-22. Its inexpensive.reliable,relatively accurate,and there is a TON of race parts availible.Its like the small block chevy of 22 rifles.There is a lot of fun competitive shooting programs full of friendly helpful folks. ,from Hi-power rifle,to NRA bullseye but  first and foremost -check this out   www.uspsa.org

I recently bought a ruger 10-22 to replace my dad's old 22 that started jamming frequently... care to post some links to any such "race parts" I might be interested in?

Back