Gun Help: Buddy havin an issue with old shotgun

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
He has an old High Standard 12 gauge pump. He says he loads all shells in it & they stay where they should. However, when he chambers first shell, the rest all fall from the tube? Any ideas I can give him?
Posted via Mobile Device

the magazine catch is bent or worn. probably need to take it to someone that has a little experience to fix it right. he can try it, call up brownells, and order a new catch/spring assembly.

Since it's old how long has it been since it was CLEANED PROPERLY ?
99% of problems I encountered on the range with folks who thought they had gun problems were actually just dirty !
Maybe some crud dried up in there from yrs of use preventing spring from popping catch out properly ?
If not as M_Ridgeway says Brownells or Numrich/GunPartsco has parts for it . Numrich specializes in old guns and has schematics on their site so you can see and order correct part .
But first buy a can of 'Gunscrubber' and spray the crap out of it !

99% of problems I encountered on the range with folks who thought they had gun problems were actually just dirty !
Maybe some crud dried up in there from yrs of use preventing spring from popping catch out properly ?
If not as M_Ridgeway says Brownells or Numrich/GunPartsco has parts for it . Numrich specializes in old guns and has schematics on their site so you can see and order correct part .

lol, yes my advice applies to a clean gun. :laugh:

Unless there's an obvious mechanical defect, this is always the best place to start. It should be kept clean anyway...:thumbsup:

Unless there's an obvious mechanical defect, this is always the best place to start. It should be kept clean anyway...:thumbsup:

Yes it should but most often ESP with shotguns people clean the barrel and bolt .
Rarely do they unscrew or disassemble mag tube and really clean every nook and cranny .
Q-Tips are you friend :)

Yep, like they said, he needs to clean it properly first, then inspect it for obvious broken parts.
If nothing found, then it's a prudent idea to take it to a gunsmith. I doubt if it will cost much to have
it repaired.

Back