Guitar amps

SD1300

Will ride for Oreos
Donating Member
I have a question for the guitar enthusiasts among us. I currently use a Fender Super Champ XD (small tube amp) for daily work. I want to be able to work with headphones which isn't an option with this amp. So I was thinking about picking up a Marshall MG50FX. Anyone got any opinions on the Marshall?

Thanks,
Mark

I have a question for the guitar enthusiasts among us. I currently use a Fender Super Champ XD (small tube amp) for daily work. I want to be able to work with headphones which isn't an option with this amp. So I was thinking about picking up a Marshall MG50FX. Anyone got any opinions on the Marshall?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark, how are you?
I do not know anything about amps, but if you like guitars I thought you might find this guy interesting,

He is my brother-in-law in Atlanta and he is good!
You should hear him do O Holy Night and Silent Night

- Jody Worrell Blues Guitar Solo[/url]

Enjoy, and hope to see and ride with you soon.
Bubba

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,
Mark
Hey, Mark. I've played guitar for... well, forever it seems, and I gotta tell you that the MG series of Marshalls are not really that highly regarded.
If you want to use headphones, keep the cost low, and still get a nice tone, a Tech 21 Trademark 60 is pretty hard to beat. Its solidstate, but dont let that throw you... I used one to record with and it sounds killer for the money, and actually sounds better than a lot of tube amps.
The Tech 21 is stone reliable, sounds great and wont break the bank. IMO, its a great bang for the buck.

Tech 21's site:
Tech 21 - Trademark Series Guitar Amps

Currently on Ebay:
tech 21 trademark 60, great deals on Musical Instruments on eBay!

Harmony Central reviews:
Tech 21 Trademark 60: Harmony Central User Reviews

BTW, A great source of information for everything guitars and amps is the MetroAmp.com, and the forum there. I've been a member of the MetroAmp forum for a while, and made a lot of friends there. TONS of valuable info, and a great bunch of guys... just like here!!

MetroAmp:
Metropoulos Amplification - The best vintage Marshall plexi replicas in the world.

MetroAmp Forum:
MetroAmp.com Forum • Index page

Check it out, and post what you decide amp wise!!
:beerchug:
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have played for over 45 years and owned many amps in my day. I have four amps now as I play several types of music. My amp of choice is the line6. You can make it sound like a Fender, a Marshall, or many others. You can run headphones off the amp. I use mine for recording all the time.:thumbsup:

Hi Mark, how are you?
I do not know anything about amps, but if you like guitars I thought you might find this guy interesting,

He is my brother-in-law in Atlanta and he is good!
You should hear him do O Holy Night and Silent Night

- Jody Worrell Blues Guitar Solo[/url]

Enjoy, and hope to see and ride with you soon.
Bubba

Hey Bubba, Good to hear from you. Still just hanging out here in old San Diego. We're coming up on some really great riding weather and I need tires.... sheesh!

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
My amp of choice is the line6.

We bought my son a line6 Spider Jam is that what you have Hal?

spiderjam1.jpg

spiderjam1.jpg

Hey, Mark. I've played guitar for... well, forever it seems, and I gotta tell you that the MG series of Marshalls are not really that highly regarded.
If you want to use headphones, keep the cost low, and still get a nice tone, a Tech 21 Trademark 60 is pretty hard to beat. Its solidstate, but dont let that throw you... I used one to record with and it sounds killer for the money, and actually sounds better than a lot of tube amps.
The Tech 21 is stone reliable, sounds great and wont break the bank. IMO, its a great bang for the buck.

Tech 21's site:
Tech 21 - Trademark Series Guitar Amps

Currently on Ebay:
tech 21 trademark 60, great deals on Musical Instruments on eBay!

Harmony Central reviews:
Tech 21 Trademark 60: Harmony Central User Reviews

BTW, A great source of information for everything guitars and amps is the MetroAmp.com, and the forum there. I've been a member of the MetroAmp forum for a while, and made a lot of friends there. TONS of valuable info, and a great bunch of guys... just like here!!

MetroAmp:
Metropoulos Amplification - The best vintage Marshall plexi replicas in the world.

MetroAmp Forum:
MetroAmp.com Forum • Index page

Check it out, and post what you decide amp wise!!
:beerchug:
:thumbsup:

Rreally good info here. I really appreciate all the work to put this together. I'm off to go check those sites.

Thanks all.

Mark

The model I have CaP is the flextone plus. It is 100 watts stereo. Great amps. I know your son will have fun with his amp. Lots of different sounds.
The Flextone DOES have a lot of different tones in it. I had a Line 6 Flextone head on a 4-12 cab years ago, and it suited needs at the time very well.
Most of my current equipment is considered "boutique" by todays standards... a Blockhead 20 watt head, a Roccaforte Jenelle 80/100, a MetroAmp 50 watt plexi, a Soldano HR50, etc.
They dont have the outright flexibility of a Line 6, but for what those amps do, they're pretty much untouchable.
The Jenelle is hooked up to a Genz Benz G-Flex 4-12 cab with (4) G12K-100 Celestions... the most powerful guitar set-up I've ever played thru. Not just sheer volume, but the range of frequencies available, and the low end punch is just astounding.
A Les Paul plugged into that is a life changing experience!!
:laugh:

Back