Gtx gen 2 3071 or Gtx gen 2 3076

just to clear anything up... a T04E 50 trim in a t3 .48 ar 5 bolt ford housing is whats been used on the rcc stage 1 and 2 kits for years and years. i have personally seen one put down 445ish hp on a gen 2 with the old style intercooler. a customer that had a stage 1 with our full exh got it upgraded to a stg 2 ultra after a few years of street use. I built the motor with the usual good stuff, pistons, rods, valve springs...

this is a journal bearing turbo, but can be upgraded to a ball bearing. you can also get it with a billet wheel as another optional upgrade.

btw i noticed a brocks muffler on the bike... is that normal sized or has it been gutted for a 2.5in straight through baffle? the 2.25 thats on most bike mufflers is too small and will hurt power

Kzscott thanks for the input..
It is a modified brocks with dia 65mm
Midpipe also 62.5 mm

Have you changed the turbine blades from gen 1 to gen 2 and any noticeable spool?gains? This is q cheap mode thinking to do now but garrett is not selling seperate the blades and only korean made are qvailed..gen 1 has 6 blades while thinking to use 8 blades now

445 hp under what boost and fuel???
Also mine is ball bearing

Thanks

Thanks..

If anyone else just modified his gen 1 turbo by installing turbine wheel from gen 2 , please give us some input..would it worth this cheap mod??

a gen 1 or 2 gtx setup is not going to work in a t series turbo. the gt and gtx use a narrower CHRA, so even if the wheel sizes match the t series, the shaft wont be correct

Thanks Richard..
Kz scott i had the impression this was feasible and was quite happy to test this...so the only solution is you buy a new turbine if you want more power /spool from lower rpm..since gen 2 are quite new i was curious to know differences and if same were tested by you guys..i cannot find any real feedback on this. There is so much advertisement on how quick they spool and same time produce more power on same rpm compared to gen 1

Scott is correct, RCC Turbos has used a .48 a/r turbine housing on our stage 1 and 2 kits for over 15 years now. Also the Garrett 50 trim we use is actually a 54/56 turbo size wise. A 76/64 as Rob mentioned is typically rated for over 1000hp, a GT35R is only a 61/62

Richard

I was speaking of the compressor exducer, and turbine inducer.

Compressor 54/76, turbine 64/56

When this topic first came up I measured one of those junk comp cores I haven’t had a chance to blow up yet, per your request. :lol:

I figured that, but that is not how a turbo size is advertised, if you tell someone you have a 76/64 that is referencing a very large turbo, manufacturers use the compressor inducer and turbine exducer when advertising sizes, this is so you know the inlet and outlet sizes of the turbo.

Richard

The GTX turbos do not spool quicker than the original GT series, where are you reading about how quick they spool?

Richard

Is the T04 50 trim GT series??

The official Garrett site.

As for the spool i have heard many tuners on car ie VW to say this abt the spool but i understand it is not the same on every type of engine..that is why on a VW you may see close to rated HP but on a busa there is big diff between declared and actual hp..

Had anyone used gen 2 on a busa?

Last edited:
Please send me the link where the Garret official site says their GTX billet wheels spool faster than the GT line.

Richard

Is the T04 50 trim GT series??

The official Garrett site.

As for the spool i have heard many tuners on car ie VW to say this abt the spool but i understand it is not the same on every type of engine..that is why on a VW you may see close to rated HP but on a busa there is big diff between declared and actual hp..

Had anyone used gen 2 on a busa?

Richard,
GTX3076R GEN II - Garrett

"Garrett® GTX Series turbochargers are designed specifically for the hard-core enthusiast who wants optimal performance. The forged fully-machined billet aluminum compressor wheels feature next generation aerodynamics that provide a larger horsepower range and maximize boost response."
Whilst not mentioning clearly spool , it says boost response which i thought is the same thing..

Without having any real proof to support this, but in vw users are claiming better spool with gen 2..

So gen 2 only offering more mass flow and increase in Hp but spool remains same??

Has anyone used gen 2 on his busa?? Any real difference? Thanks..

turbine side is the same, the compressor side is modified. Same spool.
Typically a billet wheel is heavier than a cast wheel so spool time is slightly later, not sooner,

Richard

Slightly is a good word, since it is really hard to notice . . . but if you take a look at the Rocketman thread (ROCKET MAN | Powerhouse Motorcycles) you will see the difference between a GT35R and a GTX35R . . . basically 100+ more to the rear wheel . . .

Back