GSXR1000 swingarm on a busa

Kingkroll

Registered
I'm looking to do some suspension upgrades on my bike and have heard about swapping out the swingarm for a '01 or '02 gsxr1000 arm, but I've got some questions. First off, has anyone done this and if so, what's all required? Specifically, which linkage and shock do you use? I can't seem to find too much info on this mod, but would like to give it a try.

Thanks

You won't find a whole lot of info because almost no one has done that mod. If your truly interested buy a swingarm and see if it works.

Why do you think that would be a suspension upgrade?

The switch will shorten the swingarm by a little over an inch. That along with raising the rear a little will make a huge difference in handling. I love my busa, but it handles like ****. I'm going to build the front forks as well and hopefully end up with something that can actually handle. I've seen people swap swingarms with 600's 750's and 1000's. The 600's don't have enough bracing, and the 1000's are a little more of a compromise between stock and a 750. I've already got my new swingarm on the way, and I guess if all else fails I'll guess and test till I get the right combination.

dont know who said the busa handles like **** but ive ridden level 2 at the track and kept up with the smaller bikes in the corners maybe its the rider

Hey, I'm not a great rider and I don't claim that I am, but skills can only go so far in an attempt to overcome poor engineering. The busa was designed as a cruising type bike and for those reasons has very soft suspension. The front forks are optimal in race settings for someone weighing about 80lbs. The bike sits low, is long, and has forgiving suspension. This is great for long rides, but is less than ideal if you really want to get the most out of it through the turns. Bottoming out the forks in a corner doesn't inspire much confidence in me, and I figure while I'm at it, I'll do some other easy mods to get a little better handling. I'm not trying to call anyone out, but you're crazy if you don't think that the busa has room for improvement.

Don't get it, wouldn't it just have been easier to replace the dogbones?? Mine's raised 1½" at least and it did a lot of difference..
But I do agree with you, stock the busa is a pain in the :moon: to drag around a track..
Raised in the rear (& if you want lowered in the front) it's so much easier to drive..
It kinda "wakes up".. .:D

Sorry I don't have any input for you.. From what I've been told you might need two spacers 'cause the gixxer is narrower..

I planned on raising it as well, but the point of the swap is that it also shortens it. I know that the swingarm will bolt up with no problem, I'm just gonna have to figure out what linkage I'll need.

this is just many threads that ive found (picture from here https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/125869-pics-im-king-track.html) but before u can start bashing the busa for its handling u just need more experience and more time on ur gurl, i ride mine like i did my r6, only different that i will not do is a stoppie...... other than that not trying to be disrespectful or question ur riding skills* but before u try to a fix a problem that might not be the problem just put some time in riding harder and useing ur muscles on getting ur bike over in turns.

16 9 7.jpg

Hmm. Well I cannot agree. 1.5"lift and rake the front 1/4"
put a 55 series tire on the back and u can hang with almost anything in a turn on the track.

I would focus on different weak areas of the bike, such as wieght....
Enough ridingtime on the track = better times. Not a shorter swingarm. IMO

i have a question unless your at a track where are you going to be cornering hard on your busa out in all those cornfields ?:poke: i used to live out in lincoln and imo i would set it up for all the flat straight roads you have as for a busa handling like crap i would say imo it rides nice but i guess im just fat and have the weight ???

as for a busa handling like crap i would say imo it rides nice but i guess im just fat and have the weight ???

mine handles awesome. only thing i can guess is he doesnt have the confidence to make it lean with the weight.... idunno.. but a fast bike doesnt make a fast rider

a fast bike doesnt make a fast rider
you are right about that i seem to be in agreement with the the others about getting to know your bike i was just :poke: fun at him because i know what the roads are like in nebraska long straight and lots of corn fields :laugh: but seriously if you do this mod and you like it then more power to you good luck with it

Last edited:
The 1000 arm will work i have a 05-06 1000 arm on my bike but its lenghted and i had to get custom bushings made for it. but an older one will work. a 600 arm will get you even shorter and work also. but you will need the knuckle that the shock and the links connect to.

I Used to ride my bike at MAM with just raising links and pulling the wheel up as close as i could on the tighteners on the stock swingarm and that made a hell of an improvment and was alot cheaper.

I looked at using a shorter 600 arm in mine.
Some of the drag guys here use them (with extensions) as I think they can drop
the bike lower due to the lack of bracing. I was warned that at full height on a Busa
the shock will foul against the 600's arm.

A little shorter in the bikes length is no bad thing if it suits the riders want's and needs.

I have a 07 hayabusa with an srad 750 arm on it and raised 1 inch and half inch up front lowerd and it is a huge diffrence i du some road racing and it handels awsome the only thing is shaving some weight now but u should defenetly du the arm YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!
Let me no if you have some questions that i can help you out with

I took a link out of the stock length chain. With stock gearing this shortened the wheel base by 5/8 inch and moved the axle as far forward as it would go.

2010257460102950911S600x600Q85.jpg

2552882730102950911S600x600Q85.jpg

2186239370102950911S600x600Q85.jpg

cheers
ken

Reactions: c10
I must say I'm kinda curious to see how this goes. Kingroll, put the arm on, teak it and then post some pics. I'm kinda curious to see how this goes.

Back