Growing pains.

greg3852

Registered
Seems like everything little is happening. I know there is always growing pains in a build. Lost a spool on the rear. Couldn’t lift the bike to change the gears. Ordered a new set and changed gears today and went for a ride, overheated.

Overflow filled up with fluid and it overheated. I’m thinking cap and thermostat? Anyone else think that’s the route to go.

Seems like everything little is happening. I know there is always growing pains in a build. Lost a spool on the rear. Couldn’t lift the bike to change the gears. Ordered a new set and changed gears today and went for a ride, overheated.

Overflow filled up with fluid and it overheated. I’m thinking cap and thermostat? Anyone else think that’s the route to go.
u know what im gonna say right? let an honest expert have a look at it... u got it built and it runs... no shame in asking for some help.... u need a tune anyway, don't u?

Hey Greg (great name that, same as mine lol) here's some advice on your overheating issue. . .
The first thing to do is . . .
1) open the cooling system (remove the rad cap) when the coolant is cold
2) pressure test the cap with the tester below, if you don't have a tester just get a new cap.
1535828966124.jpeg

3) top up the coolant in the radiator and start the engine with cap removed, system open to atmosphere.
4) place a funnel (or plastic hose)
241072845-diy-fix-coolant-air-bubble-heater-not-working-temperature-jumps-loud-boom-lisle-221501.jpg
with the spout into the radiator cap opening but use a funnel that seals well in the opening ( or get one like the above pic) and top off the coolant so it's filling the funnel almost.
5) warm up engine to operating temp, monitoring coolant level and watching for air bubbles escaping the system.
6) if air escapes and coolant level settles, you've bled the air and should be ready to put the new (or good) cap back on and let engine run at idle and cycle through the fan operation a few times whilst watching the temp gauge.
7) If this does NOT resolve the overheating/pushing coolant out issue, then it's time to remove the thermostat and test it/replace it.
8) Then once it's replaced, go through the air bleed procedure.
9) If it still pushes coolant out after all this work. . . .
set it on fire and claim the insurance . . . . that's what I've always done :D

Back