Ground clearance on a stock busa

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I keep seeing posts about people lowering Busas. Speaking of the ground clearance and center of gravity, how does the Busa compare to sport bikes and cruisers?

Someone suggested that a high clearance or being top heavy was why people drop them when the engine stalls. I thought it was the riding position and how high your foot is and how long it takes to get your foot on the ground (the bike is too far over by the time you get your foot into position to stop it).

Is lowering functional or just cosmetic?

From my point of view , lowering is not a cosmetic movement , it's functional but depends on how you control your bike and the style of your driving .

I would venture to say that the main reason bikes get dropped when they stall is usually because the rider was turning and/or had the weight shifted to one side or the other.

There are a myriad of reasons why people lower the bikes though.  Some lower because they can't reach the ground at stock height.  Some lower to get a better launch.  And others lower because they like the way it looks.

At stock ride height, it appears that most sport bikes, including Busas (at nearly 4.7")  are generally a little higher than cruiser bikes or custom choppers.

Personally, I like the way a stretched and lowered bike looks, plus, I don't want to pop wheelies when I blast off.  I just finished stretching mine 6" and dropping it about 2" in the rear and 1 1/4" in the front.  This pic doesn't do it justice though.  It's even lower when I am on the bike.  Gotta watch out for those speed bumps now.  LOL

post-6-73411-after.jpg

As far as handling, yes it's a little different, but with the drop I have, and the way I ride, I haven't really noticed any ill effects yet.  Now granted, I can't lean as much as I used to, but all I have to do is adjust my style a little by sliding off the seat a little and I'll be just fine.  The bike is just fine for street riding which is what 99.9% of us do anyway.

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149106416 -->

I like the way your bike looks. I also like the idea of the front end staying put when you open the throttle. How much money did you spend?

To lower the front will run anywhere from $50 for risers to $335 for a triple clamp
To lower the rear will run anywhere from $40 - $90
To stretch the bike with extensions will run from $200 - $350
To stretch with a new arm will run from $450 - $1000
Then there's the chain which will have to be replaced $200
Then the chain guard $70
Then the kickstand so your lowered bike doesn't tip over - $40 - $200

I had a stock stand shortened.

Not cheap by any means, but if you decide to do it, make sure you get quality parts, ie don't get the cheap stuff.

Ride safe!

I am in the same boat as you. I want to lower my bike mostly for cosmetic reasons but after riding my partners busa (LOL) I can see a difference in the ride of the bike. As for taking curves or cornering I liked it better because it was tighter and the suspension felt great. I would say go for!! You will definitely like the look and ride.

I would venture to say that the main reason bikes get dropped when they stall is usually because the rider was turning and/or had the weight shifted to one side or the other.

There are a myriad of reasons why people lower the bikes though.  Some lower because they can't reach the ground at stock height.  Some lower to get a better launch.  And others lower because they like the way it looks.

At stock ride height, it appears that most sport bikes, including Busas (at nearly 4.7")  are generally a little higher than cruiser bikes or custom choppers.

Personally, I like the way a stretched and lowered bike looks, plus, I don't want to pop wheelies when I blast off.  I just finished stretching mine 6" and dropping it about 2" in the rear and 1 1/4" in the front.  This pic doesn't do it justice though.  It's even lower when I am on the bike.  Gotta watch out for those speed bumps now.  LOL

post-6-73411-after.jpg

As far as handling, yes it's a little different, but with the drop I have, and the way I ride, I haven't really noticed any ill effects yet.  Now granted, I can't lean as much as I used to, but all I have to do is adjust my style a little by sliding off the seat a little and I'll be just fine.  The bike is just fine for street riding which is what 99.9% of us do anyway.
Man that is a awesome looking Busa you have there. One of the best looking Busa's I've seen! I have mine lowered like yours minus the extended swing-arm. I have the '04 Purple black but I wish my frame and swing-arm were black like yours. Maybe one day in the future when I get the cash I'll have them powercoated black.

127329836.jpg

URBAN COWBOY

Back