Gremlin Bell

Irish

Registered
So a while back a really awesome .ORG member named PandaNin graced many of his friends with a Gremlin Bell. I happened to be one of those lucky friends. For those that don't know the legend of the gremlin bell, here it is:

Many years ago, on a cold December night, a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked.

As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and to his trusty old pan that hadn’t let him down once in the many years they had shared the road together.

Well about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert, lurked a small group of notorious little critters known as road gremlins. You know, the ones who always leave little obstacles like, one shoe, boards, and pieces of old tires on the road, and also dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and crash, thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

Well, as the lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night, the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid before coming to a stop next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their way towards him. Well, this biker, not being one to give up, started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell, he started ringing it in hopes to scare off the dirty little gremlins.

About a half a mile away, camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the campfire talking about their day’s ride, and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing, and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being part of the biker brotherhood, they preceded to ward off the gremlins until the last ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers, the old road dog offered to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the old biker cut two pieces of leather from his saddlebags tassels and tied a bell to each one. He then placed them on each of the biker’s motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes, they would be protected from the road gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So, whenever you see a biker with a bell, you know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life—friendship from a fellow biker.

Thanks PandaNin! and here is where the bell you have bequeathed to me has found its home.

bell.jpg

I recieved one from him as well. My wife has it sitting on the seat waiting for me to get home to put it on. She is also thankful for Pandanin as much as I am.

im glad to see that it has carried over. :thumbsup:
the bell is a important part of biker brotherhood. not just a harley thing.

Ditto! The weather here in the east has continued cold, so the scooter has not had much riding. We even had snow this last weekend.

But I was wondering wherein might hang my bell from Bro. PandaNin. Now I have a place! :thumbsup:

Those are pretty cool. Never have had one.

Wish I would have known that. I would have included one in your package that was sent out today. Guess I am going back to the post office again tomorrow. :whistle:

Wish I would have known that. I would have included one in your package that was sent out today. Guess I am going back to the post office again tomorrow. :whistle:

No please, dont do that Kevin. Seriously. :beerchug: Its all good brother. :beerchug:

He has a gift in the mail already. Of course, he does have more than one bike doesn't he. Hmmmm....

Best thing i ever did was joining this brotherhood! The .ORG is just packed full of some of the best people period. Every one here is helpful, enlightening and good spirited! Lets here it for the .ORG Brotherhood!

Best thing i ever did was joining this brotherhood! The .ORG is just packed full of some of the best people period. Every one here is helpful, enlightening and good spirited! Lets here it for the .ORG Brotherhood!

:cheerleader: Whooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa ORG! :cheerleader:

I too got one in the mail from a friend here. Thanks Russ :beerchug:
It was most unexpected and appreciated.

That's pretty awesome I've always wondered the history behind those one of my Harley buddies said he was going to get me one when I had first started riding but that was about 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing this story with the rest of us who had no clue what Gremlin Bell was all about. :thumbsup:

Very enlightening story. My dad has had one on his bike for years. He said the bell stands for good luck. But I really don't think he knows the true meaning behind it. I might have to share this story with him. Thanks again. And I do agree w/ Irish, some of the best and knowledgeable people on .Org.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back