GPSed my Busa today,..wow! Stock speedo

About 9% off, but after correction everything (speedo and odo) were perfect. Have noticed lately that things are a bit of from the GPS, so I will go back and recalibrate.

80mph is really 74mph
100 is really 91mph
150 is really......134.???

I'm not really getting 50 mpg....
or 225 miles to a tank....

probably not at those speeds... :laugh:

I have a speedhealer and can get a little over 200 miles on a tank, but it is very smooth and steady miles at highway speed. I stiffen the throttle with a Throttlemeister while riding to assist with the "steady".

I think the accuracy of the mileage has nothing to do with the accuracy of the speedo.

We all know all speedoes are purposefully calibrated to show higher speed.

IIRC, those who tried top end with GPS showed that the speed limiter was very close to 186 mph. So, the engine "knows" the correct speed. It's just the display is altered.

Now you fellas do realize your rear tire has lots to do with your speedo accuracy?

Air pressure also has an effect on the speedo accruacy. Before checking your speedo accuracy, air your rear tire up to the recommended 42 PSI and be sure it's a brand new stock OEM tire. I think you'll find your speedo is much more accurate? :beerchug:

C'mon guys. Take a GPS and note your speedo vs. GPS speed. Post it here or send me a PM and I'll put the data together. Thx.

So the with the top end limited to 186, is that 186 indicated or actual speed?

SUUUUUCKs!!

80mph is really 74mph
100 is really 91mph

I knew is was off, but reading the GPS was disappointing. Ordering the Speedohealer from Tim Pa****..

Guys are you saying if i change the gearing 16/43 that will effect the mileage also?

Guys are you saying if i change the gearing 16/43 that will effect the mileage also?
It will certainly affect the speedo reading, the odometer, and the computed mileage.

Whether or not it affects actual fuel mileage is a little harder to say. Your engine will run a little faster RPMs for a given speed, but that does not necessarily mean your mileage will be worse. While your engine will be spinning faster, it will be putting out exactly the same power. Where this falls on the efficiency curve is anyone's guess.

It will certainly affect the speedo reading, the odometer, and the computed mileage.

Whether or not it affects actual fuel mileage is a little harder to say. Your engine will run a little faster RPMs for a given speed, but that does not necessarily mean your mileage will be worse. While your engine will be spinning faster, it will be putting out exactly the same power. Where this falls on the efficiency curve is anyone's guess.

So this is why the 20 miles showes 40 miles?

SUUUUUCKs!!

80mph is really 74mph
100 is really 91mph

I knew is was off, but reading the GPS was disappointing. Ordering the Speedohealer from Tim Pa****..
I would like to see what an 18 tooth front sprocket would do at 150mph on GPS..........My GUESS would be indicated 150=145mph....what do you think?

and were the OLD Cable Speedo's from the 1980's & 1990's Bikes this far off..?
I had My 1995 FZR1000 up to 170mph indicated a few times...

So this is why the 20 miles showes 40 miles?
I think you said you were putting on 16/43, right?
Stock is 17/40, so you've changed the ratio by (16/17)*(40/43) = 12.5%.

Now your engine will run 12.5% faster at equivalent speeds and your odometer should be running 12.5% higher (20 miles actual should show about 23), but we know that's inaccurate anyway.

I suspect a slight decrease in fuel mileage at cruise, but doubt it would be all that high. Engines are most efficient running WOT (no excess intake loss due to throttling), but once aerodynamics comes into play, all bets are off as to the most efficient operating point.

Yeah, my 08 is still pullin hard with the needle buried, supposedly somewhere in the 190s. Yet 186 is it, haven't fixed that yet. Knew it was way off. I'm a little disapointed to hear that 150 is 134, but I beleive it.

It just occurred to me that if the odo is accumulating based on the incorrect speedo reading, that means we are actually racking up "more miles" than we should. If 10% error is there, a reported 10,000 odo reading really should be only 9,000?
What does this do to the resale value of the bike? Damn!!!

That's my biggest problem with this too.

Back