GPS

monsterspeedfreak

Donating Member
Registered
Can some of you GPS owners point me in the right direction please.
Tell me what one you use and what you like about it.
Thanx in advance
Bill

I have the Garmin GPS 72. It is a good set up. It will tell you all the usual GPS stuff, MPH, trip odometer, waypoints, compass, etc. It has a hugh screen which is something like 2.5 by 2 inches. But you can't put road maps into it from your PC. And it isn't color. Of course you aren't paying for those things either.

My recommedations are the Garmin GPS V (what I have) or the Garmin e-Trex vista. Both offer moving maps, but the GPS V can give you turn by turn directions to nearly ANY address in the USA. It is really cool. The GPS V is bulkier than the e-trex (quite a bit bulkier), but a lot more features too.

I'm with doc.. I have a V also.. (partially on his recommendation I believe.. ironically enough)

the turn by turn stuff is really nice because you never even have to look at a map.. the screen is nice and big.. plus it's 'made a little differently than most and it fits excellently on a stem stand..

it's really made more for driving than hiking/biking etc.. but it will do either one really well.

The V comes with the mapsource program which is really nice for planning routes,,, or saving routes that you went on.

Gps V is the better one. ONe of our esteemed board members sells the device and is able to give abundant information. This was a topic several months ago. I like the gps v, yet it is a little more bulkier than the evista. The map is easier to read

I have the eTrex Vista, I think it's a couple of hundred bucks these days. 24mb of RAM, can hold the complete street maps for MD, VA, DC, parts of PA, NY, and CT. Small, waterproof, long battery life (I use recharchable AA's), mounts easily on the handlebars -- I use a R.A.M. U-bolt mount with their eTrex-specific cradle. You can find that at cyclegadgets.com.

The V is great if you want routing, but I almost never do on a bike (have other things to pay attention to), and it is a bit bigger and uses more power. I just set up the Vista to rotate the map with my heading (puts you at the "bottom" as an arrow pointed up) so I can see what's ahead of me for a few miles. I also use it to backtrack when I'm on a "get lost" ride.

FWIW, both units will provide useful trip stats such as max and average speed.

Sounds like they have you covered here....
I've had my E-trek for about three years. Its an older model but never had one problem with it. Ok, one small user problem.... When your in a big city the reception can be a little tough.....(big buildings) Ks

Sounds like they have you covered here....
I've had my E-trek for about three years. Its an older model but never had one problem with it. Ok, one small user problem.... When your in a big city the reception can be a little tough.....(big buildings) Ks
You have the Summit? It doesn't do mapping... I have it too. I also have the Vista which does. I like the Vista because the mapping does waterway markers too, hence it is usable on my boat too. Both models also have an altimeter. I like the small handy size.

Back