GPS recommendations for car and bike

mikejmd

Registered
I got $1000 of Best Buy gift certificates for redeeming credit card reward points. What recommendations can anyone make regarding what brand and model of GPS I should purchase. I would like to be able to use it in my car and on my busa. Recommended methods of mounting to bike would also be appreciated.

I use a TomTom with a ram mount. I leave the suction cup in my truck and have a power supply on the bike and my truck. I just transfer the unit. I love it so far, but there many many options for a GPS unit.
Posted via Mobile Device

how do you power something like this on your bike? wire something off your battery?

That is one way,you could also set up a fuse box in the tail to run all of your mods.

If you want a motorcycle (waterproof) unit with XM radio capabilities, the Garmin Zumo 550 is a great choice. If you don't need XM and want a larger screen, check out the Zumo 660.
Posted via Mobile Device

highly reccomend Garmin...compare features and pick the one you like.

link

I have a non-motorcycle model (nuvi 660)that I also use in my work truck, and plan on having a custom mount made that goes off the 2 fuel tank screws. I bought an extra mounting kit and will hard wire it...

Last edited:
I will have to look at the model that is in the rental car that I am using. It is a total worthless piece of poop!! It is made by Garmin. That being said, being from a rental company, I am sure it is a top of the line product. lol :laugh::laugh:

highly reccomend Garmin...compare features and pick the one you like.

link

I have a non-motorcycle model (nuvi 660)that I also use in my work truck, and plan on having a custom mount made that goes off the 2 fuel tank screws. I bought an extra mounting kit and will hard wire it...

Garmins are the best on the market...def get one of those.

I have the 255, put a zip lock on it if it rains, but sits on the triple of the bike and the dash of the car. Free traffic for life too.... lil' fugger did reroute me to 10 miles of gravel in a rural area though....

Cheap, now throw 800 dollars at the seat and other mods!!!!!:thumbsup:

2009-06-04 002.jpg

The GPS unit that was in my Avis rental was a Garmin Nuvi and I had nothing but problems with it the whole five days. :( :(

That is one way,you could also set up a fuse box in the tail to run all of your mods.

If you want a motorcycle (waterproof) unit with XM radio capabilities, the Garmin Zumo 550 is a great choice. If you don't need XM and want a larger screen, check out the Zumo 660.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed... if you want the XM radio and NavTraffic & Weather, go with the Zumo 550

Here are pics of my 550 setup. I use it with my Autocom and get GPS, MP3, Phone, XM, Weather, & Traffic all from the 550. When I'm not on the Busa, I dock it in the Truck or Jeep :thumbsup:

Also, there are pics of the fuse block in the tail...

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...s/94189-pics-some-recent-upgrades-violet.html

I have a Garmin 200 for the bike, mounted with Techmount, and powered with Powerlet.

Make sure you check Techmount and Powerlet for the correct year Busa, but here are some links to get you started. The Garmin is for a car, so you can't use it in the rain:

Techmount for Busa

Powerlet for Busa

I ended up purchasing a Garmin Nuvi 885T.
In searching for a mount, I noticed that the Ram Mount has a cradle available for attaching the GPS to the mount.
Is a cradle available for the Techmount, or does the GPS need to be Velcro'ed to the Techmount? Any pro's or cons for either system?
Thanks for all the invaluable information above . Mike

I just drilled holes through my Techmount and used stainless hardware to mount it

GPS-backside of mount.jpg

GPS-backside of mount.jpg

Back