GPS recomendations

Rich

Registered
I am thinking about getting a GPS setup for the bus. I know a couple of people on here have them and was wondering what kind you would recommend and how you have mounted them. Post some pics. Thanks
Rich

Rich: I have a Garmin V.. It has base maps built into it, you can download additional maps, it has autorouting so you can put in an address and since it knows where you are, gives you directions to it. It keeps track of my speed, where I've been (all downloadable to the PC software with the track details such as elevation, speed etc downloadable to Excel spreadsheets). I use it for the 'busa, when I'm mountain biking (actually in the mountains!
smile.gif
, for hiking, and in my car and truck around the city and on longer trips.

Let me see if I can dig up some pics. I use the RAM mount and put it through the steering head on a threaded rod... Hang tight for photos.

pic 1: mounted. I wired it directly to the battery (optional cable you need to buy) so as not to use batteries. Plus, with it hard wired, you can leave the backlight on at night.

gps1.jpg

pic 2.. mounting bracket. available from your local GPS dealer. I can change the angle so that it doesn't interfere with viewing the cluster, and it's easily removed when I park the bike in a public area.

gps2.jpg

Best bang for the buck but very basic is the Garmin e-trex. $99.00 Depends what you want to do with it.

I have a garmin etrex vista (mapping, 32mb of ram), with a R.A.M. u-bolt mount on my right handlebar.

It's this cradle: cyclegadgets.com links have changed

...with this base: cyclegadgets.com links have changed

...and the relevant link for the base (you can get the etrex anywhere) is:
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=ETREX

The etrex is an excellent value in a compact GPS, but it has been superceded by (naturally) an even better one called the 60CS -- that one has a bright color display, lots more memory, does route-finding, and is still hand-holdable.

I don't like the StreetPilot and related units because they are very big, though they are also sturdy and useful. The etrex and 60CS can do most of what they can, however, and still be popped off and dropped in your jacket pocket for a hike.

I've been thinking of getting a GPS with routes myself. I was considering the Garmin V, but will take a look at the Etrex. I didn't know that you could do map routes with that model.

The thing i like about the rino beside it is only $139 at target is it has allot of features on it. One of the features is, say your riding buddies have one also all he has to do is key the radio and your unit will tell you where he is at and direct you to his position. Mine is the cheaper model with only 1mgbyt memory you can by the one with more memory. It will track where you go and show you the way back

rino120Big.jpg

...It will track where you go and show you the way back
Oh, yeah, I fergot. Though the eTrex and the Rino can't do automatic routing ("take me from x to y") but they store the route you've traveled -- like a trail of breadcrumbs -- so if you're on a country "get lost" ride, not only will it show you the streets and towns you're near, but all you have to do once you're done is turn around and backtrack home.

The R.A.M. mounting system uses a rubber ball, btw, and it supresses vibration nicely. My etrex is very readable at speed. They have a cradle for the Rino, as well as probably all other Garmin models.

Just to give you an idea of what these units are capable of: Mine has 32mb of memory. With that, I have street-level maps of all of MD, VA, WV, a third of PA, and a small part of NY (NYC, LI, etc.) and CT. I'm sure the 60CS w/50-odd mb of ram, for example, could hold street level maps for a long trip. All of these have a "base map" with lots of cities and all of the interstates (and some other major roads) in NA.

The main reason I bought the Rino was for work. When I go to a fire with the inmate fire crews all the fire captains have these unit so if we have to get one of the inmates off the fire line all the captain has to do is key his radio and his position shows up on my unit then just follow the arrow to where they are at. Using it on the bike is just a bonus for me. After seeing how far off the speedo is I like the GPS to see how fast Im really going and keeping track of the top speed is also handy so when someone ask how fast can that thing go you can just show them. It also has a trip meter both time and distance of your ride and some other cool features. I belive most of the garmin GPS units do

mcoyote, thanks. I just ordered that setup. I just found it for 230 and then I ordered that mounting setup. Thanks for the info. I will post some pics of stuff.

I have used a Garmin III for years and the Garmin V is even better. They are little costly but have some great features. The maximum speed indication is very nice because you can pull a speed run then see what your actual top speed was when you stop. I am sure that some of the others out there will do that also but the Garmin seems to be easier to use and the maps are great. I used mine in cars and hiking and search and rescue work and it has been great.

Back