GPS reading, can this be accurate?

BusaDudeBrazil

Registered
Hi all,

I got my busa out for a ride today and took a garmin GPS with me, the GPS III Plus.

It turns out that after my top end run i looked at it and couldn't believe my eyes... about 202 mph - 332 km/h

Since i started visiting this forum i have noticed that most people can only get stock busas to 178 mph at the GPS, and there is a detabe on whether it could reach 200 mph (some say on a perfect weather day with the perfect straight road yadayadayada... it is doable.

I have attached the pic from my garmin reading today, i have used it in my car and the speed readings are accurate (car speedo shows 160kmh/h  (about 100 mph) and gps reading is about 146 ( about 92 mph).

I don't have a full system, only slip-ons, a K&N filter and a PCIII that has a map done by a guy who races Busas around here, no dyno-tunning...

So bottom line is - can the GPS be so innacurate or did i just reach 202 mph on a mildly-modded Busa?

02_09_07_2014.JPG

Do3 I think the top right is avg speed and the bottom is max speed, which reads 332.0 which I think converts to 206 (ish)

I have seen GPS lose signal and when re-connecting show a false mph.

My buddy has a new Jeep Wrangler and he got his street pilot to read 250mph.

had that problem before. when tracking on a road and you lose signal only for a short time, it figures out how fast you had to go to get to the new point
but tis good for fooling the squids

DSCF1059__Large_.JPG

(stlbusarider @ Sep. 02 2007,20:35) WOW that's fast.. Is this even possible without a TRE?
Nope.

Even with a TRE, on a dyno (no wind resistance) mine with stock gearing and tire size redlined at 194. So even with 1000 HP to the tire it would STILL be 194 at redline...
smile.gif

I would put this one down to GPS error. Try a couple of more runs.

I'd take a clearer pic and change it to MPHs for future bragging rights.
beerchug.gif

(heavybusa @ Sep. 02 2007,20:43)
(stlbusarider @ Sep. 02 2007,21:35) WOW that's fast..   Is this even possible without a TRE?
a TRE? whats that.  
smileyexhibit.gif
It's the magic little fairies that pick your bike up and carrys it to a higher speed over 200.

153 km/h is the average speed, i did have the TRE on (GiPro) and i am pretty sure there was no signal loss (no tunnels no nothing, plus i have used it other times in the car at that same road) and i have kept the needle buried for a good 30-40 segs so i would guess even if misread i was way above real 300 km/h - now for the 332 km/h reading i take the word from everyone around here that it would be hardly doable with the mods i have.

Now for the the math on rpm / tire size / stock gearing to top out at 194 mph, this would be proof that i could not be faster than that, but then again are you sure about that info? I have seen 99's top out at 196 mph here in this board, and some there is this one that topped out at 203 - could have different gearing though, just for high speed runs.

Anyway, if this is accurate or not, it felt pretty ******* fast during the time which this has been recorded, as i was struggling to disregard my self preservation instinct of breaking when i got near cars at different lanes...

Anybody would shed some light as this being possible? I am starting to believe it might have been possible because the only thing i see against it would be the 194 mph stock gearing limit - anyway i will get her into the same road again tomorrow for a new reading just to make sure.

Be careful. Do not try anything just to prove a reading. Stay safe.
beerchug.gif

We have this wonderful 5 lane highway at Sao Paulo, Brazil and it is always sunny, tires get sticky in no time and we have speed control over radars, not cops - though the radars do not register motorcycles, only cars (the sensors in the ground expect a four wheel chassis to make a reading at take a snapshot of the plate if over the 70 mph speed limit).

For the top end run there is this 3.5 km long straight portion of the highway where you can fall asleep if you are riding a Busa and do not beat the crap out of it until you have nothing left to squeeze from the motor - i hear you guys on doing stupid **** for proving something, been there done that, my old GSXR 1100 W has some stories to tell... the first thing you realize once you own a 130 rwhp + bike is that they are not meant for everybody, and you have to adjust your behavior in order to be friends with it.

The two times the Busa taught me to respect her were the first time after the break in period that i really wanted to test how hard 1st gear would pull and i ended up with my front end about 1 meter from the floor and that scared the **** out of me, in a public road between cars so i never did it that way again, at least not when cars are around - the second time was when i pushed the gas on second after a tight access ramp for a highway, the rear end slipped - luckily not enough to throw me in the floor but that is the second lesson i learned, no pushing all the gas on second or third until you are completely tractioned.

I wonder how the guys who race it on the 1/4 mile handle the launch on a stock bike, no custom swingarm, etc.
Thanks for the support!

(BusaDudeBrazil @ Sep. 03 2007,06:54) We have this wonderful 5 lane highway at Sao Paulo, Brazil and it is always sunny, tires get sticky in no time

For the top end run there is this 3.5 km long straight portion of the highway where you can fall asleep if you are riding a Busa and do not beat the crap out of it until you have nothing left to squeeze from the motor - i hear you
Dude- how much does it cost to ship a Busa to Brazil? Would it take me long to learn Portugese? Yo abla Espanol porquito...
rock.gif
laugh.gif

You would need a document statng you are going to live here, with the needed visa etc, then you can ship your bike/car for the prie of the shipping, no idea how much, but i would guess this s not so expensive - you can learn portuguese if you speak spanish in no time, and the ladies dig it real hard...

Not possible with stock gearing/tire/ecu. Mine ran 195 on a dyno with stock gearing/tires/ecu hitting the rev limiter at 11,400 rpms.

Even if you had a tail wind, there's no more rpms left with stock gearing/tires.

Do you have a reeeeely tall rear tire? If you were at -1 or -2 teeth on the rear sprocket or -1 with a tall tall tire and a big tail wind and maybe a slight downhill - then it's possible. After you get passed the rpm limitation, there's still that 40 horses to make up to get to 200.

Definitely save it off though
smile.gif
Convert it to MPH and photoshop it into a picture of you hauling ass and hang it in your living room
smile.gif
After all, it IS a GPS and they're very accurate. And you DO ride a Busa and everybody knows Busas go 200, piece of cake
beerchug.gif

;)

smile.gif

Well, it seems that i had a bogus reading, i am about to take the same road again a couple hours and will double check... though i will make sure everyone that calls the Busa numbers BS see this and suck it up... the mighty busa... i am considering posting this in a ZX14 board and laugh some...

I've had some bogus numbers on a GPS before. Ironically it was my Garmin GPS III+, the same as yours. It would lose signal for a bit and then put out an erroneous reading.

You might check the firmware revision level to make sure it is the newest (ver 2.06). I know there have been some updates to fix other models with similar readings.

Below is a max capture on my GPS 276C. But I know this is actually an accurate reading!
wow.gif
wink.gif

gps_max.jpg

(Shibumi @ Sep. 03 2007,05:28)
(BusaDudeBrazil @ Sep. 03 2007,06:54) We have this wonderful 5 lane highway at Sao Paulo, Brazil and it is always sunny, tires get sticky in no time

For the top end run there is this 3.5 km long straight portion of the highway where you can fall asleep if you are riding a Busa and do not beat the crap out of it until you have nothing left to squeeze from the motor - i hear you
Dude- how much does it cost to ship a Busa to Brazil? Would it take me long to learn Portugese? Yo abla Espanol porquito...  
rock.gif

laugh.gif
Porquito, me too.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I had my Garmin Etrex Legend on the dash of my 2000 Ford Explorer V6 all wheel drive a few years back on a road trip from Miami back to Massachusetts while towing a 16' boat with a Mercury 150 on the back. It read a top speed for the trip at 145.6 MPH... Doubt it

Back