gps question

jch364

Registered
Ive been trying to figure this out but im getting a bit of a headache looking at all this. I want to get a gps for my bike. Now I know that the best would be a garmin zumo 450 but at the moment thats just way too pricey for my needs.

What i was thinking was some kind of gps that is a lot cheaper that still will do what I need. so here is what I think I need and maybe someone can give me an idea what will fill this need
1. good turn by turn directions with txt. txt to speech not needed
2. would be nice to be waterproof but not necessary.
3. Im thinking battery operated. like AA batteries or something so that I can replace them and dont have to worry about running a wiring harness.
4. Good maps and detailed.
5. has a good redirect feature so if I miss a turn it will remap it to get me back on track. whatever you call that.

Any ideas out there?

Oh and i dont need blue tooth. the last thing i need is to talk to anyone while riding. and i have an mp3 player so i dont need that.

thanks
jeff:bowdown:

check out a garmin quest 2 cheap. waterproof. runs 20 hours on the battery and good maps real cheap is a quest the only difference is with a quest you have to load in the maps you want the 2 is pre loaded

Last edited:
were is a good place to get the quest 2. looked at it and it looks perfect for my needs. anyone know of a good website that is trustworthy?

I bought the Nuvi 200 for my bike ($125 now on Amazon; it's not waterproof, since it's made for a car), a Powerlet cord (about $30), and a Techmount (about $70). Used industrial-strength round Velcro (from Lowe's) for the Nuvi-to-Techmount.

Garmin sells a wall charger for the Nuvi if you don't want to run the Powerlet. Although I really don't have the facilities, I was still able to install the Powerlet in about a half-hour, and that includes being very particular about the routing.

you can look at Garmin GPS, Magellan GPS, Lowrance GPS & RAM Mount Factory Authorized Dealer - GPS City for good comparisions and general pricing. They pretty much have everything "gps" and a good selection of mounting hardware

You might consider the garmin nuvi series. It is very portable, not really waterproof but they do have internal batteries and you can recharge them pretty quickly. Have the best "bang for the buck" IMHO. I'd suggest the 660 or 760 line for the built in antenna.

The Quest series is very good, but you will need to make sure the antenna can be parallel to the horizon. I had a Quest for two years before I broke it in a crash. The Quest 2 would be an option if I didn't already have a Zumo 550.

I have a Quest 2, but am up grading. Mainly because I want a bigger screen. On some roads (bumpy) and at speed the Q2 is hard for me to read at a glance, especially at night . Other than that, I love the Q2 :thumbsup:

Back