GPS - gear position sensor mod

Aquaman

Banned Permanently By MC Mustang
I opted to go with Johnny Cheeses GPS mod for being able to go past 186 factory restriction.In order to get to it,you have to tear down the whole clutch.This is a first for me,on a Hayabusa,but not over my head stuff.
Here is what the gear pos sensor looks like.
DSC00039.jpg

I first took off the right side fairing.
972c6fba.jpg

I opted to do an oil change at the same time cause it was time for "The good stuff"
Note,you can rip down the whole clutch without draining the oil if you leave it on the side kickstand.
Eewww..yucky!!
49f60a4d.jpg

Now remove the 12 screws securing the clutch cover on.
725dac9f.jpg

One thing I really like is that they are all the same size..Harley needs to get their act together on this one....
DSC000643.jpg

At last,cover off and a view of the springplate and clutch pack.
DSC00055.jpg

Now remove the 6 bolts that hold the spring plate on.Dont worry,it is not going to fly out in your face and kill you!
Springplate removed and steel/friction discs are exposed.
DSC00047.jpg

Springs and plate sitting nicely on rag.
DSC00046.jpg

Carefully take these out and keep them in order,it is every other one a steel plate the friction disc.
Discs removed,now pull out the center pin with your fingers.This will expose the clutch hub nut.The clutch hub nut has a little spot on it that is indented so it doesn't back off.Just pry it up a bit.
I used a air impact gun to take the nut off with ease.And no,it isn't one of those dang left handed threads!
DSC00049.jpg

Once the nut is off,you need to slide out the hub bearing and sleeve.You cannot get the clutch basket off unless you do this.It will interfere with the case and not come off!
Once you do this,the basket will be able to move around more freely enabling you to take it off.
Be careful,there is a big washer behind it.
Basket out.
DSC00051.jpg

All the parts right here.
Excluding the cell phone!!
DSC00050.jpg

ok beer break.

just kidding.....
Here is the infamous gear pos. sensor.
DSC00053.jpg

2 screws securing it down.
Follow the wires up under the left side ou your propped up gas tank and dis-connect, and replace with the modded one.
DSC00052-1.jpg

I did not take any pictures of putting the new on on or reinstalling the clutch as it is basically in the reverse order,however!!!!!!
Before you remove the clutch hub nut,take notice of how the clutch drive cam and the clutch driven cam are very sloppy.This is how you want it to go back.It only goes one way,and if you dont get it right,you will have major slippage and your bike will die when you put it in gear.
I ran into this problem,and I have N/J and fstbusa (board members) to thank on helping me get thru this!!
And last but not least,I filled her up with the good stuff.
DSC00058.jpg

You may or may not have to bleed you clutch line.try without first.
I now consider myself a graduate of the Hayabusa clutch....

Hope this helps anyone,and dont forget,this is not just for this mod,if you need to change discs or install the Brocks ultra clutch mod,this thread should help you a lot.
I am including a ling to a very small video of how the center cam shoud be sloppy when installed properly.
click for video

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156209972 -->

Nice walk through Brendan... make sure and let us know how you like it!

That's a whole lotta parts on the floor, bro. Good thing you know what you're doing.
biggrin.gif

Oh, I just noticed that you're a TOP GUN now... congrats.

Hey Brendan... +1 on the Top Gun status!
thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the look inside. For us "less daring types" it's still nice to see the insides of the busa.

Anybody got pics of a torn apart engine?

Brendan, glad you got it all taken care of. It's a very good walkthrough.

Brendan, good stuff there, on the top gun that is. Excellent walk-thru on the clutch and GPS stuff, very well detailed and you should consider writing for the Suzuki Maintenance Manual. I swear I read thru the clutch tear down like 12 times and still had no clue WTF I was about to consider getting into. Your few pics and time to write it out is GREATLY appreciated. Heck, I want to pick up the clutch spring kit, basket and Ultra-Mod etc..

Great Job!! Excellent walk through and pics!! You are a daring man!! That is a little deeper then I would attempt myself. Without someone beside me to help or guide me. Again great job!! Mine would go back together and the clutch wouldn't work! LOL
biggrin.gif

d00d I was going to remind you that the outer fiber has to be offset into the other slots. The shallow ones are the ones I"m talking about.
wink.gif

BTW, what does the GPS mod do? I am guessing it tricks the ECM which allows the bike to exceed the governed 189mph?

BTW, what does the GPS mod do? I am guessing it tricks the ECM which allows the bike to exceed the governed 189mph?
[/QUOTE]
Yes,exactly what it does...
Anyone that wants to do any kind of clutch mod will benefit from this thread.
also,if you do want to tear it down,and still a little leary,just PM me and I will be glad to help you out....

Back