GPS, any recomendations?

Ahhh such an inquisative mind.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

What do you want it to do.

Track speed e-trex $119.00 has to have open view for the antenna (I use this one) calibrate speed with in 26 feet.

Casio wtch and GPS $230.00 distance way point compass not sure about speed.

Garmin advance models $200 up can stay under hump because strong built in atenna.

biggrin.gif

i sell the timex speed and distance. has anyone used this to track their speed. it uses a garmin gps unit and relays the info to the timex watch.might be able to get a group deal together if there is enough interest. check them out here btw this is not my site. http://www.rypsports.com/52832.html

I asked this same question a few months ago.. and a guy recommended a Garmin 'V' model to me. Thats what I ended up getting.. it's not as pricey as the street pilot.. and has 95% of the same features. The biggest difference being that the streetpilot has a color screen, and the V doesn't.

I'm extremely happy with my V.

thats what got me tho, I'm a sucker for flashy things hehe. I just orders some LazerBolts to make my bike more flashy. Busas flashy too.

Whats the main reason one would buy a GPS??? I thought it was primarily used to find out where you are at???

When rolling a busa does it matter?
rock.gif
Inquisitive minds want to know?

i also ment to say that i can get just about any gps unit at a good price let me know the make and model and i will let you know what i can get it for.

Cisco,
Could you get me a price on a Garmin versus a street pilot?

Thanks in advance

Marc "Howlin Mad"

With this one do I have to have the other thing cliped to me as I ride and can you navigate with it?

Marc "Howlin Mad"

the watch does not navigate. but it will show top speed that is what i liked about it. and if you have to have the gps watch i can get one for a lot cheaper than walmart. i will get on the street pilot for you. there is one that is smaller than the street pilot that is called the GPS V. you can even get handle bar mounts for it and it will navigate and do everything that the street pilot will do just not in color.

alright i hope you are ready for all this info

Garmin eMap

Moving map features

basemap:built-in (north america and south america)map contains state and country boundries, lakes, rivers, streams,
airports, cities, towns, coastlines, state and interstate highways(USA), local thoroughfares and secondary roads within metro areas(USA), federal interdstate highway exit information for services such as food, lodging, and truck, RV, and automotive service stations.

cdrom: Accepts downloadable map detail from GARMIN MapSource CD-ROMs which provide street-level detail, shorelines, topographic elevation information, addresses, listings of nearest restaurants, hotels, ATMs, and more.
Note: requires 8 or 16 mb data card.

MAP SCALE
Screen width scale 500 ft to 3,000 miles

NAVIGATION FEATURES

WAYPOINTS
500 with name and graphic symbol

TRACK LOG
2000 track log points plus 10 saved tracks

TRACBACK:
navigate saved tracks

TRIP COMPUTER
2 resettable odometers, timers, average and max speed

ROUTES
store 1000 map points and 500 user-defined waypoints in up to 50 points each

MAP DATUMS:
108, including on user datum

LOCATION FORMATS
lat/lon, UTM/UPS, MGRS, Maidenhead, user grid and 11 other grids

SUN AND MOON
sun and moon rise and set times, sun and moon position, and moon phase for any day of the year

GPS PERFORMANCE

RECIEVER
Differential-ready, 12 parallel channel GPS reciever continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position

ACQUISITION TIMES
WARM: Approximately 15 seconds
COLD: Approximately 45 seconds
AUTOLOCATE: Approximately 2 minutes

UPDATE RATE
1/second, continuous

ACCURACY
POSITION: 15 Meters (49 ft)RMS
VELOCITY: 0.1 Knot RMS steady state

DYNAMICS
6g's

INTERFACES
RS232 with NMEA 0183, RTCM 104 DGPS and propriety GARMIN data formats

ANTENNA
Built-in patch; standard MCX-type connector for optional external antenna connection

PHYSICAL

SIZE
2.4"W x 5.5"H x 0.8"D (6 x 14 x 2cm)

WEIGHT
6.7 Ounces (190g)

DISPLAY
1.7"W x 2.2"H (120 X 160 pixels)FTSN, 4-level grey scale, with electro-luminescent backlighting

DATA STORAGE
Indefinite; no memory battery required

MAP STORAGE
Optional data card stores detailed map data

alright here is the streetpilot III i am will only show what else it has cuz it has most of the same things as the eMap.it is also made by GARMIN

STREETPILOT III

NOTE:requires GARMIN data card (included with purchase)
MAP SCALE
Screen width scale 900 feet to 6100 miles

NAVIGATION FEATURES

ROUTES:
Automatically calculated with turn-by-turn instructions. Up to 50 stored. Using built-in basemap, routes include interstates, highways, and major thoroughfares. with detailed data from CD-ROM, routes include residential street-level detail within metropolitan areas.

VOICE:
Navigation instructions and warnings

GPS PERFORMANCE

GPS ACCURACY:
POSITION:<15 Meters,95% typical
VELOCITY:0.05 Meters/sec steady state

DGPS ACCURACY
POSITION:3-5 Meters,95% typical
VELOCITY:0.05 Meter/sec steady state

ANTENNA
Detachable with standard BNC-type connector

PHYSICAL

SIZE
3.2"H x 6.8"W x 2.6"D (8.0 x 17.3 x 6.5 cm)

WEIGHT
1.4 pounds (635g)

DISPLAY
3.4"W x 1.8"H (8.6 x 4.5 cm)
(305 x 160 pixels), high-contrast,16 color LCD w/backlight

CASE
Rugged; fully gasketed

TEMP RANGE
5-158 Degrees F (-15 to 70 degrees C)

the street pilot is more expensive but if you really want one let me know and i will email you my cost. i dont want to get in trouble and post the price i can get any gps for. hope this was enough info man

Back