GPS accuracy

OB_CanuckBusa

Registered
There was some talk of GPS accuracy awhile back.. Here is the answer. For more go to www.zdnet.com/eweek

By Carmen Nobel, eWEEK
May 15, 2000 12:00 AM ET

Thanks to the U.S. government, it's never been easier to find where you are. At the beginning of this month, President Clinton signed an order that improves the accuracy of basic civilian GPSes (Global Positioning Systems) from 300 feet to 60 feet. While the move may be too late to help major users of the satellite-based location system, it's a boon to vendors and users of handheld, marine or automobile-based GPS units.

GPS supports marine and terrestrial navigation, transportation tracking, emergency assistance, law enforcement, and more. Customers in the $8 billion-per-year GPS market range from taxi and trucking companies to wildlife protection organizations. {TO CRAZY GUYS WHO DRIVE HAYABUSAS WHO WANT TO KNOW "EXACTLY" HOW FAST THEIR BIKES ARE.CANUCKBUSA.}

Until two weeks ago, the government jammed civilian GPSes with SA (Selective Availability) technology, fearing that the systems could be used to target missiles. Clinton said in a statement that the decision to shut off SA was "supported by threat assessments which conclude that setting SA to zero at this time would have minimal impact on national security."

I am not sure how but GPS's were more accurate than they say. I know I can ride down a 2 lane road and then back down the other side and the bread crum trail look like just that. That has to be like 12 feet.
this was before the Gov. made the change.

Back