GP shifting.

howanicm

Registered
This probably has been gone over before. But I cant actually find an answer for it. I was curious if you can GP shift the oem rearsets and retain the kickstand switch. Actually Im pretty sure you can. But I was curious how others have done it. I see some people use a different bolt for the kickstand that has more clearence. I read some people have ground down the back of the shifter linkage and i read some people ground the oem kickstand bolt. How did you do it and what is the best way to achieve a gp shift pattern with the stock rearsets. Thanks

Thats what i thought but the linkage runs into the kickstand bolt and binds up. If you remove the kickstand switch it is fine but id rather not remove that.

I didn't have any interference problems when I swapped mine. I kept it that way for a while but it started to become difficult when I was switching between bikes.

At least on a Gen I, it wasn't a problem.
DSC07443.jpg

Have had my Gen 1 that way for years. no problems awesome for drags

Oh.....I forgot. If its a Gen 2 the shifter arm is longer (longer throw) it will bind. You can use a Gen 1 arm though and it will work fine. They changed it in 08 to prevent the short shifting that was bending shift forks, shift shafts and blowing out second gear that was so common on the gen 1.

Oh.....I forgot. If its a Gen 2 the shifter arm is longer (longer throw) it will bind. You can use a Gen 1 arm though and it will work fine. They changed it in 08 to prevent the short shifting that was bending shift forks, shift shafts and blowing out second gear that was so common on the gen 1.

Ahh. Thats probably the issue. I have a gen 2. Im probably going to end up grinding a little off the shift linkage and a little off of the kickstand bolt and call it a day. I just hope there is enough adjust ability to bring the shift lever back to the same place it was before flipping it. If not ill buy a gen one shift linkage.
Thanks for the input guys

Back