GP Gears...

Racer 222

The rider formerly known as Howlin_Mad
Donating Member
Registered
GP gears. They work just the opposite of the stock gear positions. To shift up you press down and vice versa. Have any of you done this?

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I kinda like it, but it can get confusing when you have more than one bike and you flip only one of them.

Having said that, it is my preffered configuration for a track bike - especially for the strip. Most people find that it provides a more positive upshift under partial load conditions, such as power-shifting.

Mike

I am thinking of trying it! Sounds like a good idea and since I only ride one bike right now I have no other concern. Plus unless absolutely necessary I don't ride anyone elses.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I staying like it is...Why change a good thing...Kind of like you push it in and you pull it out...

are we still talking about "GEARS"!!!
wow.gif

jump9.gif

Hey Howlin all I can say is practice if you go to upshift and you are used to pressing down you could hop the rear wheel and loose it. It just takes some serious getting used to but if you have big feet like me it helps from crushing your toes in hard cornering

Hey Howlin all I can say is practice if you go to upshift and you are used to pressing down you could hop the rear wheel and loose it. It just takes some serious getting used to but if you have big feet like me it helps from crushing your toes in hard cornering
I would think that all the drag racers on here would do it if they didn't have an airshifter? I don't want my toe under there in hard leans. I might give it a try after I work out the bugs on the 2" lift kit I installed
smile.gif

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Be REAL carefull with this one Bro's , after years of doin' things one way it becomes habit . I dont even think about what my hands an' feet are doin any more,or even flashing hi/lo beam at cages backin outa driveways etc . Its all just become habit and instinct. Be carefull , especially you there Marc , you cant be crashin' ,you might be needed over there at Sodomy Insanes (Suddam's) .
kickass.gif
unclesam.gif

Hi Howlin,
You seem like a man who likes to press on hard on his machine ....
How does this mod work? What do you need to do?

Did it to mine recently. All you have to do is loosen the shifter where it connects to the bike and flip it around. You'll also have to lengthen the reach rod to get the shifter at the right hieght. It takes about one minute to do but you'll have to experiment with it to get it in the right position. And take it slow for awhile (just till ya get used to it) or you'll dump it. Saw a friend go down on a gsx1000 cause he forgot and thought he was upshifting and the rear locked up on him coming out of a turn.

Hey Howling I did it a month or so ago. The major difference is you have to THINK about shifting. Its no longer natural or normal. You have to work with it for a while till it becomes natural for you. I ended up changing it back to normal. There's no real performance gain or enhancement unless you are going down to the strip, and then I think you have to be real use to it. The only real benefit I thought it had was if someone tried to steal or jack your bike they'ld probably low sided before they got down the block.

If you do it spend a couple of weeks riding till it becomes a natural reflex before you hit the track and reflects kicks in and you find yourself reverse shifting at an inopportune time.

GP gears.  They work just the opposite of the stock gear positions.  To shift up you press down and vice versa.  Have any of you done this?

Marc "Howlin Mad"
Yes
Did you like it?

Marc "Howlin Mad"
Yes. I switched over my street bikes when I started racing. I've been doing it for a couple years now, and it seems natural. I rode for 20 years using standard shift. It took a few weeks to get to the point where I didn't have to think about it, and I had a couple of mis-shifts. I need to figure out how to switch over my dirt bike.
biggrin.gif

I have actually added a suicide shifter.

For those that aren't familiar: Move the front brake to the left handlebar, then put a foot clutch on the left side where the gear shift used to be. Finally a 2'4" gearshift from a 1987 dodge colt. BAM instant suicide shift.

Hi Howlin,
You seem like a man who likes to press on hard on his machine ....
How does this mod work? What do you need to do?
Kim,
all you have to do is flip the gear shifter where it attaches to the transmission. Then you will have to readjust the shifter bar. I am doing a lot of mods right now so haven't had the chance to press her hard yet but SOON!!

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Why the suicide? All those harley guys will respect me....................NOT.

Just joking.

Thats a mod on my custom hard tail. Sorry?
Wrong website.

FATJAP(gotcha marc)

Back