Government mandated birth control

Who is talking about a government handout??? This is about insurance companies covering BC in health insurance policies that people pay for.

You're right, that'll never fall back on taxpayers. When the gov't mandates something, surely it'll be free :whistle:

Edit: OK Steph, explain to me what other elective medical-related things the gov't should force insurance companies to pay for? Or, for the women of America, is it just this one? Inquiring minds want to know...

Last edited:
One could argue that almost anything has CONTRIBUTED to more women becoming educated and entering the workforce, but 99.99% of the factors (including access to birth control) are so small as to be virtually insignificant. It's not a logical argument. I know you feel as if you are the resident voice of liberalism on this board, but doesn't mean you should present fallacy as fact. You sound ridiculous arguing about women's rights with an intelligent woman, reminds me of the pro-life jackhats that kill abortion doctors to prove how much they care about life......

Don't tell it to me tell it to the authors of the study.

http://www.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/goldin/files/pillpaper.pdf

You're right, that'll never fall back on taxpayers. When the gov't mandates something, surely it'll be free :whistle:

Edit: OK Steph, explain to me what other elective medical-related things the gov't should force insurance companies to pay for? Or, for the women of America, is it just this one? Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't know Michelle, but I think any health related issue that results in a great portion of the population (male or female) being able to acquire more education and contribute to society is worthy of being supported by tax dollars.

You have taken the viewpoint you believe is expressed in that article and adopted it as your own. It makes no sense for you to try and argue the point made in it, since your life experiences are entirely dissimilar to those of the author. It's akin to a white man telling a black man what it's like to be black. You can read all the articles about it you want, but until you have lived it, you have no idea. Walk a mile in her shoes....

I don't know Michelle, but I think any health related issue that results in a great portion of the population (male or female) being able to acquire more education and contribute to society is worthy of being supported by tax dollars.

I'll agree legit health related issues should be looked at and addressed, but my ENTIRE argument about this is the simple fact that we're talking about something that's completely ELECTIVE. This is not a life or death scenario we're talking about. A woman can opt to do other things in lieu of a birth control pill, period. There's absolutely no gray area here except the ones you're making...

ELECTIVE vs. NECESSARY

So what...just because woman writes something does not mean I agree with it. Rush is a man and I doubt you like most of what he says or writes :poke:

You might want to read it first. But this was to Mr. Brown's comment: "How any man can think he has a more relevant set of life experiences than you on this topic with you is beyond my capacity to comprehend. "

I posted it to illustrate that it was not that I thought, as a man I have a more relevant set of life experiences but based on looking into the issue a little.

It's liberals like you Steph, that allow the republican party to gain traction with the working class. You have single-handedly alienated more progressives and moderates on this board than anyone else. You aren't the only intelligent person here, you don't have access to super-secret information none of the rest of us have, so kindly stop posting as if you are in an unassailable position of righteousness.

I will leave it at this.... I caught this banner ad directly above Dino's post... My gosh this could be the best caption the pic thread EVER!

Someone please tell me you saw it too....

dino.jpg

dino.jpg

I'll agree legit health related issues should be looked at and addressed, but my ENTIRE argument about this is the simple fact that we're talking about something that's completely ELECTIVE. This is not a life or death scenario we're talking about. A woman can opt to do other things in lieu of a birth control pill, period. There's absolutely no gray area here except the ones you're making...

ELECTIVE vs. NECESSARY

Michelle yes for an individual woman it could be considered elective. But for woman collectively it has shown to be necessary to their advancement in the labor force. So any other health related topic that collectively supports society getting better educated and thus contributing more to society would be worthy of support.

Michelle yes for an individual woman it could be considered elective. But for woman collectively it has shown to be necessary to their advancement in the labor force. So any other health related topic that collectively supports society getting better educated and thus contributing more to society would be worthy of support.

And to that line of thinking I say 2 things: 1) Pretty pathetic to think that society feels women as a whole need to take BC to get ahead in life, and 2) Everyone I know has to make adult decisions in line with what they can afford and I see no need to change that for an elective option like the birth control pill; you don't want to get pregnant and don't want to pay (or can't) for the pill, I suggest contacting Planned Parenthood and learning about other options available.

I won't change your mind, and you absolutely will not change mine...

I posted it to illustrate that it was not that I thought, as a man I have a more relevant set of life experiences but based on looking into the issue a little.
But it IS you that attempted to discredit Vabs' personal experience when, no matter what article you may read, cannot possibly know what it is to want/need birth control.

I will leave it at this.... I caught this banner ad directly above Dino's post... My gosh this could be the best caption the pic thread EVER!

Someone please tell me you saw it too....

View attachment 241333

I missed that one captain...I would have hoped for the one that says "Stupid women, click here so you won't get pregnant..." :rofl: Oh well, one can always wish...

Hrmmm now who's speaking for the women?

It's liberals like you Steph, that allow the republican party to gain traction with the working class. You have single-handedly alienated more progressives and moderates on this board than anyone else. You aren't the only intelligent person here, you don't have access to super-secret information none of the rest of us have, so kindly stop posting as if you are in an unassailable position of righteousness.

Mr. Brown I really don't understand your post. If you disagree with my position great but to attack me personally is uncalled for. I don't know what you mean by access to super-secret information because I have posted the sources of my information.

And to that line of thinking I say 2 things: 1) Pretty pathetic to think that society feels women as a whole need to take BC to get ahead in life, and 2) Everyone I know has to make adult decisions in line with what they can afford and I see no need to change that for an elective option like the birth control pill; you don't want to get pregnant and don't want to pay (or can't) for the pill, I suggest contacting Planned Parenthood and learning about other options available.

I won't change your mind, and you absolutely will not change mine...

Michelle it i not just some off handed thought research has been done to support this. Whether or not you think it is pathetic is irrelevant to what the research has shown. It may in fact be pathetic but that doesn't change the information.

But it IS you that attempted to discredit Vabs' personal experience when, no matter what article you may read, cannot possibly know what it is to want/need birth control.

I never said I did, in fact I agreed with her that on an individual level it could be a choice, but on a collective level, history and research has shown it directly contributed to women advancing in education and in the workforce.

Hrmmm now who's speaking for the women?

Cap I am not speaking for women I am offering information based upon research.

Dino you never did get it... Sometime you just have to walk away... You are by far the best person to argue the case for the opposing team... Every time you argue back it just gets better....

You can have all the research you want, you have a woman in front of you telling you first hand what the options really are.. She has been through it, a mom, an employee, you name it... You want to throw research in the face of a person that has lived it....

Keep on talking your helping us out!

Mr. Brown I really don't understand your post. If you disagree with my position great but to attack me personally is uncalled for. I don't know what you mean by access to super-secret information because I have posted the sources of my information.
If you feel that my post is a personal attack, you should grow thicker skin. If I were attacking you personally, I would call you an arrogant simpleton who posts self-serving drivel under the guise of informed opinion, who belabors discussion points to the point of irrelevance. But since I wasn't attacking you, I won't say that....
You do however act as if you and only you are capable of forming informed un-biased opinions, and that anyone who disagrees with your particular brand of liberalism is an uniformed dunce. Anyone that insults you is hurting your feelings, yet you find it acceptable to insult a fellow board member who has given you the benefit of her personal experience. When you have developed your internet sensitivity level to greater than that of a pre-pubescent
girl, let me know. Until then I shall refrain from commenting on your silly nonsense, unless you once again insult someone I regard as a friend.
Understand now?

Back