Gotta drain the gas out of my bike

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
We are moving cross country and the rules are that the gasoline has to be removed from any motorcycle. If I lift the tank up (I'm at work), can I get to a hose to drain it?

The bike will be in storeage for about 2-3 weeks. I hate taking the gas out, because I don't want the tank to rust, but I have no choice. Maybe I'll spray a bunch of WD-40 around the inside of the tank?

Does the tank have to be dry? A syphon hose would get most of it, but not all......................

Turn the bike upside down!!
laugh.gif

Sorry I have nothing constructive and I tried to do a search for you.

Maybe ride your bike and make the wife drive the car.
No, really siphon it and then raise up and prop the tank to get the rest.
As for spraying it with WD-40 I think a little storage oil would be a better choice.

I'm thinking if they can't see it, it would be dry to them. What is storage oil?

even if you try to get it out through the pump (run it dry), there is still about 1/4 gallon in the tank. before i got mine painted, i had done this, and even dropped the fuel pump and got out as much as i could. my painter took a siphon pump to get the rest out, and was able to get 1/4 gallon +/-. so siphon would be the best way to go.

all_coholic.gif

Storage oil is what you use to coat cylinder walls, carbs EFi Systems, when draining gas and storing.
It makes your engine smoke a little upon restart but it is made expressly for what you are doing.

Try and use a small diameter hose to get the gas out. You should be able to remove most of it.

Back