gotta ask (Busa Good First Bike?)

Thanks to the so many intelligent riders out there taking the time to post.

I do like this timeless subject a lot. It is funny that, way back when, the original question used the words “pure cruising enjoyment†and “Busa†in the same sentence. If you want to cruise, take a vacation on a ship. If you want to test the outer-limits of the space-time continuum, buy a Busa.

Just today I was out riding and literally scared the holy crap out of myself. The acceleration was so f#$#ing ludicrous, the experience so f%$#ing insane, that I’m considering joining the yearly group of wimps that put 750 miles on a Hayabusa and scream “Uncleâ€. That is if I’m not arrested and the bike impounded first!

You all must think that I’ve never ridden a big bore before, right? Like I turned in my Ninja 500 for a Busa?

I’ve owned three bikes within the same class– and ridden them all extremely hard. I’ve owned a 96 ZX-11D, 99 BMW RS1200 and 2000 Honda CBR1100XX – all heavy weight sport bikes with lots of power. Despite understanding “warp drive†and the feelings associated with it, the Busa comes on just so strong, it is f$##ing scary (to say the least). None of my previous bikes ever scared me like the Busa.

The good news for the would be beginner is that the Busa is stable as a rock and has power through the entire RPM spectrum, so fierce power surges don’t come out of the blue. Also, even at insane acceleration and speeds, she is solid and true to her word. And, heck, she can even be ridden as normal speeds with ease.

The problem is, however, that the beginner has absolutely no idea what is coming when that faithful time comes around to crack the throttle. Nothing can prepare you for what is about to happen other than previous experiences with fast motorcycles.

Go ahead and buy it for your first bike. The more the merrier. You are more of a man than me, however, if you do not scare yourself sh#$tless!

Good luck!

My opinion may not count as much but I have only been riding a busa for a week. I have been riding all forms and sizes of bikes for around 18 yrs now. The busa deserves much respect. The response of the bike is AMAZING! It is a beautiful eye catching machine and by far the best bike I have ever ridden. I am in no hurry to break any speed records and there is no reason to prove myself to anyone. Just saying I own a Hayabusa is pleasure for me. If you get one, use common sense. Don't get carried away. Happy riding if you get one!

Welcome to the board!
Ask a question and you got a wealth of information both pro and con. You got great answers from people that have owned this bike and have logged many miles. The information on this board is invaluable and the time people spend on their replies lets you know they truly care. Whatever you decide,
Good luck

what one bike would you recommend I buy before I buy the busa I understand it is fast and heavy and i am not the strongest gurl around but i need a before bike that is well the cost doesn't matter but it must be a good quality bike to train on before i get a busa. So the question is "What ONE bike should I buy before I buy a Busa?"

what one bike would you recommend I buy before I buy the busa I understand it is fast and heavy and i am not the strongest gurl around but i need a before bike that is well the cost doesn't matter but it must be a good quality bike to train on before i get a busa. So the question is "What ONE bike should I buy before I buy a Busa?"
In order to answer your question we need to know what you have been on?? If nothing start with a 600 Suk or Kawi. If you have been on biger bikes already go to a 1,000.

Height??

Weight??

Eyes?? (whoops sorry I got carried away.
biggrin.gif

Arm lenght, average??

As a fellow USAF Active Duty member all I have to say is take the Motorcycle Safety Course on base and just get to know your bike. The bike is not dangerous; the rider is the dangerous one... This is my second bike and I have 1 bad accident under my belt ( not fun and very painfull) Use proper equipment ie. Helmet, leathers, backprotector... Get a banged up bike at first say a $1000  one and then get the BUSA. I've heard of a few people riding the BUSA as their first bike. Remember like mentioned before " a split second of stupidity can const you your life" Just Practice, practice practice.... just my .02 cents.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|boriqua_n_co
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095177549 -->

Many of the good peeps here reiterate the power and thrill factor/danger of the Busa. I owned an 05 and lost it recently in a non-fault accident to a car. I wasn't going that fast; prolly only 40-45mph. I've ridden bikes all my life. I started small (GSXR600, 750 then to the Busa). Of course I raced motocross for 6 years prior to that. I've taken the MSF course and I consider myself a fairly good rider with good maneuvering abilities. The accident I was involved in was due to a driver not "seeing" me and pulling an illegal u-turn in front me. The move happened so fast I had no time to react except to hit both brakes hard and pray for the best. My wife was with me at the time and we both flew from my Busa. Fortunately we both lived, no road rash and some swelling, minor injuries and a small hairline fracture for my wife.

I've taken the Busa to 175 (indicated) and tested the 0-100 in 4.5-5 second thrill. I know what the Busa is capable of. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Busa IS A BIG BIKE. It's worlds harder to maneuver than my 600 and 750 ever were. The point I'm trying to make is that ANY BIKE WILL KILL YA if you don't respect it. Especially the Busa. Just make sure it's something you want to commit yourself to. BE SURE TO GET INSURANCE!! Believe you me; it's a b#$ch trying to get a settlement out of the "AT FAult" party's insurance company. They don't wanna part ways with their money; esp to a motorcyclist. Be sure to have good REPRESENTATION. Yes, a lawyer is very handy in those situations.

Owning a Busa is a GINORMOUS RESPONSIBILITY!!! Please have a PLAN OF ACTION in an event something bad comes about it. I pray everyday that NO ONE will ever have to go through what I'm going through right now but the sad fact remains, motorcycle accidents WILL HAPPEN and it's your duty to make sure that you're prepared for the worst. A life insurance policy is not a bad thing to invest in either. You can get a relatively inexpenisive plan esp if you're healthy and a non-smoker etc....PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WEAR YOUR GEAR..A Very Good Helmet, Leather jacket with armour, riding pants (pref, with the pads and maybe knee sliders), and tough riding boots.

This is the first time in the 2 weeks since my accident that I've been able to sit down in a chair comfortably without pain just so I can write to you guys. I loved my Busa too but I love my wife, family and friends even MORE. As soon as I recover and get settlement, then I can think about getting a new one. But one thing is for sure; I plan on having an even stronger plan of action/precautionary measure before purchasing a new BIRD. I wish only the best for all of you and PLEASE BE CAREFUL out there. It's crazy out there so always think with safety as a #1 priority. Till next time....

Keep the Shiny Side Up and Godspeed to you all....\

Ryan

hi all just quick ? iv been ride bike for about 5 years or so but only driven a sportbike once and it was a cbr 600 had no problems with it just want ur opions on getting a busa? thank you for ur time

Read all the relevant threads and make an informed decision. Be careful no matter which route you take.

Have fun with that MSF course on the Busa. I am a MSF RC and also in the USAF and it has taken me lots of practice to complete all the range exercises on mine.
If you feel you are that strong willed and will be able to hold back your urges then by all means get it. But please be careful, I don't want to have to report or hear about anymore MC mishaps.

Ok gotta say it even though im way late on this....Im a 5'4" female and I ride an 02 Busa Ltd. If I can ride one, anyone can ride one. Granted I laid it down on day one. But.....I got back on and have always been aware of the power beneath me! Its just too bad no one around here will ride with me...for some reason they are all scared of my bike. Any ideas why??? Gotta love it

Make up yer own mind . I can tell you this....after 24 years on the street (dirt bikin' has F all to do with the street) . There are those that can ride...
There are those that can be taught to ride...
 There are those that just shouldn't ride...
I TRULY BELIEVE IT'S ABOUT INSTINCT .
A five year old can be taught to pull in the clutch,press down with yer left foot,slowly twist the throttle...etc etc
 It's NOT what its all about . Any 1 can make the machine move......ANY 1 , just DONT make it home everytime .
Good courses can teach you lots....INSTINCT will get you home .     Sorry to sound a bit gloomy here but...."They say there are two kinds of bikers , those who have crashed , and those who are gonna ."      Over the years I've taught lots of people to ride....first lesson: Yer about to climb onto a machine that has just one purpose . Just one . As soon as you flip up the kickstand,it wants to fall over . Thats it.It just wants to fall over. It has 2 wheels,what else can we expect from it . ITS CALLED GRAVITY .   Just B cool .  Any machine requires respect . IT DEMANDS IT . Ever had a throttle stick wide open on ya?
rock.gif
  It's a machine.   Give it respect . If you dont , it'll bite you . GARAN-DAM-TEED .     Be cool my friend....
                 p.s.   any Q's...feel free to pm me.
VERY WELL SAID!!!! That was an awesome response.

It is a great first bike if you want it to be your last ride. To much power to start with. I started out 15 years ago with a ninja 600, rode that for a year. Than went gsxr 1100. That was a big jump. Than hayabusa. That is another big jump. You need seat time to work up to a hayabusa. I have been riding bikes over 20 years and the hayabusa is a handfull if you are not careful. It is my daily driver now that gas is 3.50 a gallon.

This BUSA is my second bike. My first bike was a BMW R1150R. Bought it for $7000 had 10,000 miles on it. I rode it for 5 months and I put over 5,000 miles on it. Sold it for $7800 after 5 months and then bought this 2003 silver and black Hayabusa that had 2800 miles on it for $7000. I've had this Busa for 1 month now and I have put 1,500 miles on it already.  As you can see I ride alot, even though I have only been riding goin on 7 months, I have ridden more than people put on their bikes in a year or two. So you really cant go by years of experience, more like miles of experience. I ride every day, its my 35 mile per one way commuter.  After saying that, I suggest you put atleast 5,000 miles on a forgiving bike before you jump on a BUSA.  It is smooth but deadly powerfull,  It's a damn bullet with wheels but also a very comfortable bike compared to the other 600 and 1000 cc bikes. I like it alot and this one is a keeper (All mine and no one else) also got the pink so shes mine all mine.  Fun bike especially in the strait road goin 165  
wow.gif
 A little bit too heavy in the twistys but I manage (been working out
biggrin.gif
)

Joe_s_Hayabusa_1.jpg

I agree, Its guys that hurt themselves and kill themselves on 600's as well as big bikes. Its all about knowing your limits on whatever type of bike you own. it could be the roads u go down just as well u got to push the limit to have a limit

Back