Gotta a serious problem with my new K8!!

TSgt D

Registered
Ok, I got my K8 in mid June, I just went over 1700 miles with her today. I broke her in properly, never going over 5k rpms. Got my first service check done and she was riding like a champ, amazing torque in the low gears.

I have been doing a lot of riding the past few weeks and occasionally I will turn her loose for a couple hundred yards or so if the streets are clear. I have done nothing reckless with her with the exception of practicing a burnout a couple times.

My issue is all of the sudden, this week, my K8 is having either some sort of clutch issue or possible trans issue. When I go to twist the throttle back, my RPM's rev up way faster than what my speed indicates. In other words, my bikes bark is a lot louder than it's bite right now. Today, I tried to pass a car that was going to slow and when I hit the throttle in 3rd gear, my bike screamed as if it was stuck in neutral and it gave me very little torque to pass quickly the way I usually do. I shifted up to 5th and hit the throttle hard just to see what it would do and it started screaming even louder and the bike was only going 45 miles an hour. I used to pull away in 3rd and get up to 60 easily if I wanted with very little effort. I know something is wrong but I am not that mechanically inclined when it comes to bikes. I have an appointment with my dealership on Thursday of this week but any insight from you all with any ideas of what my problem could be would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure I can talk to the technician like I have a clue so they just can't tell me anything ??? Thanks in advance for any input!:thumbsup:

Dont ride it anymore until you figure out what is wrong. If the tranny is slipping you will tear it up even more. I wish I could give you some possible issues to look at, but I am at a loss.

Dont ride it anymore until you figure out what is wrong. If the tranny is slipping you will tear it up even more. I wish I could give you some possible issues to look at, but I am at a loss.

Thanks for the input, I was thinking the same thing.

The clutch is slipping, there is somewhere on this board a mention of similar complaints when new out of the dealer due to a pin or something misaligned. Either way just get it to the dealer for them to fix. If you or a friend try to fix it and can't then they can decline warranty..

Clutch is slipping. Transmission is either in gear or it ain't, so something has went wrong in the clutch. At 1700 miles, it's a warrenty issue pure and simple. Just don't say anything about the burnouts or it'll give them a loophole to BS their way out of taking care of it.

Clutch is slipping. Transmission is either in gear or it ain't, so something has went wrong in the clutch. At 1700 miles, it's a warrenty issue pure and simple. Just don't say anything about the burnouts or it'll give them a loophole to BS their way out of taking care of it.

Thanks for the input, I wanted to ask if doing burnouts could have caused this problem or not?

Burnouts could cause it because of how you slip the clutch during this procedure.

If you want to replace it yourself its pretty easy. Remove the clutch cover. Pull out the plates one by one. Replace all the fiber plates with a new set of fibers and of course pay attention to how the metal/fiber plates rotate and put it all back.

Go to Schnitzracing and order the plates cheaper than your dealer. Then you will know how a clutch works.

Make sure you clean under the undertail real good before you bring it back to the dealership. That burnt rubber under there is a sure give away.:whistle:

Clutch is slipping, mine did the same thing don't tell stealership about burnout they'll try to get out of fixing it.

Sounds like the clutch might be slipping and doing burnouts could cause this if done improperly.

I remember reading some place about the clutch lever not working correctly. The lever would be out but the piston inside is actually still acting like the level is still engaged. Not sure if it was a Busa problem or another bike.

The clutch is slipping, there is somewhere on this board a mention of similar complaints when new out of the dealer due to a pin or something misaligned. Either way just get it to the dealer for them to fix. If you or a friend try to fix it and can't then they can decline warranty..

That would be me. Some kind of pin was in backwards and mine did the same thing. They had it 2 weeks + and did all kinds of work to it before it was found that the pin was in backwards. Flipped it around and it works perfectly!!

+1 to what the fella's are telling you, Clutch is gone bro....But if your telling the truth, There's NO WAY in 1,700 miles your clutch should be worn out! There's another problem some where....JMO.

my bike did the same thing. after close inspection, i realized that during adjustments made to personally fit the bike to me, i had inadvertently bound the clutch lever against the switch housing, on the bottom where i couldn't see it. (big dummy) :) i was sure glad i caught it before taking it to the dealer and raising hell. other than self inflicted problems, i haven't had any issues at 7k miles. good luck. :)

Watched a guy at the drags on a Honda CBR1000 fry his clutch doing burnouts. He gave it full throttle and let the clutch out but not enough to spin the rear wheel. He kept doing it over and over trying to spin the rear wheel. Everybody was yelling at him to leave the clutch all the way out but he couldnt hear.By the time he got to the starting line his clutch was fried and he went through the quarter at about 10 MPH.

Back