Got this Honda Civic - Junk it for $650

mymaster

Dr. Frankenstein
Donating Member
Registered
An air quality agency in my area keeps offering me $650 to get it off the road and scrap it.
http://www.baaqmd.gov/pln....dex.htm
It's a 1985 Honda Civic no frills 4door sedan,manual steering,172k miles,registered-$55 a year-reg up in Feb of 09,insured,operable-drives straight,doesn't use up tires or brakes, keeps passing smog.  

This thing won't die, I've been T-boned by a uninsured driver in a Cadillac-right side has dents,missing trim. One of the CV joints is starting to click when the wheel is turned to one side and very light oil seeping onto the exhaust somewhere and not from the valve cover.

The car has to be operable,registered and insured to qualify which it is now. It's kinda nice having a spare car around that works and doesn't cost much to operate, but then again its getting to the point of spending money to keep nursing it along-a cv joint here-a water pump there etc etc, or receiving money for it while it still qualifies. It really is inexpensive to have sitting around but won't be worth $650 forever and I can't see selling it to someone so they can have problems with it and have it come back on me somehow.    What do you think?  Keep it or scrap it?

civic_006.jpg

I vote for scrapping it.

Like you said, a water pump here, a CV joint there.

You could always put the $650 towards a new fuel efficient car....or just spend it on the bike.
firedevil.gif

i would keep it...i have a '88 Plymouth Sundance i keep for a backup and to drive to work sometimes...i can buy almost anything i need in junkyards for pennies on the dollar compared to new parts- and much cheaper than making payments...since i'm never more than 20 miles from home in it, i don't worry about it biting the bullet...just my
2cents.gif

What are you going yo do when It Rains
rock.gif
?  Don't tell me you are Going to Ride the BUSA because it would take you about a YEAR to CLEAN IT !!!!
laugh.gif

probably pitch a timing belt or axle on the way to get certified for dimantlers credit
laugh.gif

i would keep it...i have a '88 Plymouth Sundance i keep for a backup and to drive to work sometimes...i can buy almost anything i need in junkyards for pennies on the dollar compared to new parts- and much cheaper than making payments...since i'm never more than 20 miles from home in it, i don't worry about it biting the bullet...just my  
2cents.gif
You never know, maybe another $2k to go another 100k or more. Biggest obstacle is passing the smog test every two years.

Bill, kinda depends on how reliable it is and how much you like the car. In 06 I sold my 82 Toyota pick-up that I had owned & driven for 24 years, it had 450,000 miles on it without ever having any major engine work (the head had never been taken off), no timing chain exchange, no valve job, nothing but oil changes, minor tune-ups, the occasional brake pads, water pump, radiator, battery, etc. The truck was gettin a little tired and didn't have A/C, all I could get for it was $900 bucks, it was the best little truck I've ever owned and I wish I hadn't sold it. The fella I sold it to stoped by the shop the other day to order some signs and said the truck still runs great, he took it down to Mexico and gave it to his family. I hate the piece of crap 94 Toyota pick-up I bought to replace it, drives terrible so I say keep it.

Attachments

• 82_Toyota.bmp
    195.1 KB · Views: 280
DUDE keep it that is a classic and it looks in very good condition... i would rock that thing all day long...
bowdown.gif

with a vanity plate PIMP..
firedevil.gif
can't go wrong

DUDE keep it that is a classic and it looks in very good condition... i would rock that thing all day long...  
bowdown.gif

with a vanity plate PIMP..
firedevil.gif
can't go wrong
rofl.gif
, maybe the largest mud-flaps I can manage and double curb feelers with moon hubcaps on each corner  
cool.gif

Keep that thing. It WILL run for another 150k miles. I would ride the hell outta that. What would you do without it? The money you'd spend to get a new car that is so efficient and paid for would nullify the sale.
KEEP IT.
lurk.gif

Back