got the zx10 today, impressions

craigntx

Registered
RightFront-1-1.jpg

(there's more pics at this link)https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...s/112090-gettin-10-xan-i-still-hang-here.html
it is quite a bit more uncomfortable. i doubt i'll be putting on 20k per year, like my busa's.
the low end torque just aint there. maybe b/c its totally stock, and needs a pipe and pc.
i couldn't just gas it into a wheelie like i could my busa's, at around 15-20mph.
maybe after getting more used to it, i'll be standing it up.
it seems like the power takes a bit to hit, almost like a turbo lag.
i bet it'd be a monster with a +2 rear sprocket.
no gas guage.wtf? the top mount steering damper is beautiful.
it does turn EFFORTLESSLY. it has michelin 2ct's. maybe thats whats up with that.
it has an obviously higher center of gravity. feels kinda awkward. i was told the rear was raised, for the track.
any know how tolower it back, pls let me know. i guess i'm used to the busa's stance. that seemed slammed compared to this.
brakes are uber sweet. i didn't get really agressive with them, but they feel much better than my old gen 1's.
the front has braided steel lines. easily the best feeling brakes i've ever been on.
final verdict?
i couldn't have gotten a cleaner, tighter bike for the $.
but i need another busa. even if it's an old fixer upper, for girl cruising duties.
:laugh:

iv got an 08 CBR600RR and i doesnt really get in to its power band until about 4 or 5 grand. i have to slip the clutch a little when taking off on a steep hill. it will come up in 1st and 2nd once it gets in the power band. it also sets higher in the saddle than my busa. i think u will get use to it. not sure id wana take off on a 4 to 500 mile trip on the cbr though. your bike looks really good bro :thumbsup:

(quote)
Love the ZX's, especially '04 to '05, true monsters. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: (quote)

yea, there's a mod or 2 i've heard of that'll make it act like the 04-05's
you know that'll be the 1st thing i try:thumbsup:

i'm even having some shirts made up.
whaddya think?
Gecko-Bike-LARGE1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah it's uncomfortable, it's a liter sport bike.
No it doesnt have the torque of a Busa, and doesnt need a pipe an PC. It needs you to wring it's neck and risk your life to make it run right. ZX10 will break 100mph in first gear, do you expect that to be cushy and friendly?:laugh:
Takes a BIG pair to use all a liter bike has to offer.

Nice bike, have a good time.:thumbsup:

I had an 06 zx10r in the sexy "lambo" yellow. The motor is a monster after 7k. You're just used to the 1300's grunt down low. I could easily pull second gear wheelies just chopping the throttle at 80mph to 130mph. Spin the tire through turns, wheelie sideways out of them. The main issue with the 06-07's was how unsettled it could get through turns and even accelerating on straights. I spent forever trying different suspension settings and tires to get things sorted. The factory steering damper is garbage. The 10r actually felt faster then the busa and was alot louder with an aftermarket exhaust. Congrats on the bike! :thumbsup:

I had an 06 zx10r in the sexy "lambo" yellow. The motor is a monster after 7k. You're just used to the 1300's grunt down low. I could easily pull second gear wheelies just chopping the throttle at... quote
did you do the jumper mod or anything else?

Kinda curious as to why you wanna lower the rear. If you plan on doing any kind of cornering, even if it's just some canyons, I'd leave it. That's how that beast turns and flicks so effortlessly. If you lower the rear, it'll turn like a pig. You might as well just stick with the Busa, not saying the Busa couldn't handle or is a pig, but....ppl usually get 600's and liters for razor sharp cornering, and not for the comfortable riding on the streets or in town.

Aren't Kawis typically tuned to be tamer on the low end, then run like the proverbial striped ape up higher? Would explain the apparent lack of low-end grunt.

Great looking bike. As far as I'm concerned you can definetly hang.
If you're looking for comfort, try a goldwing. You even get a radio and seat warmer.
Most liter bikes are give and take. I'll probably by one in a couple of years but I won't replace the Busa with one.

Nice bike. I love that color. I am painting my 05 that same color. A friend of mine has my extra bodywork and slowly working on it now in his spare time.

Quote "the low end torque just aint there. maybe b/c its totally stock, and needs a pipe and pc.
i couldn't just gas it into a wheelie like i could my busa's, at around 15-20mph.
maybe after getting more used to it, i'll be standing it up.
it seems like the power takes a bit to hit, almost like a turbo lag.
i bet it'd be a monster with a +2 rear sprocket.

I had a black 06 zx-10r. It had akropovic hex carbon fiber cans, Bazzaz fuel system with auto tune, cat gutted, secondaries removed, -1/+2 gearing and a quick turn throttle. With this setup if you roll on the throttle around 6-7k in 2nd gear the front will come up real quick. I am 270lbs 6' 5" and mine would come up with ease in 1st and 2nd on throttle and in 3rd at over a hundred with the clutch. Plus the bike gets light really quick over any kind of bumps or hills.
The ZX-10 has a very strong motor with very smooth powerband do to the extra heavy crank that the 06-07s have. It is just a smooth freight train ride all the way to 12,500. Spend a little time doing the simple mods and it will completly transform the bike. Here are a few pics of mine before I sold it to get the busa.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Kinda curious as to why you wanna lower the rear. If you plan on doing any kind of cornering, even if it's just some canyons, I'd leave it. That's how that beast turns and flicks so effortlessly. If you lower the rear, it'll turn like a pig. You might as well just stick with the Busa, not saying the Busa couldn't handle or is a pig, but....ppl usually get 600's and liters for razor sharp cornering, and not for the comfortable riding on the streets or in town.

lol, this is s. texas. not too many canyons here.
the high stance just feels strange

Back