Got the spinal fusion finally...

Rocketman

Registered
Last year a bunch of you gave me some good advice on the spinal fusion. I went round and round on whether to get the artificial disk or the fusion.

I really wanted the artificial disk because there would be no loss of motion. But after waiting and doing more research, my doc was more hesitant to recommend it so I went for the fusion. This is my first full day home...

There is a definitely difference. No more pain going down my legs and no more of the numb/burning feeling. But man percoset is a trippy drug. I have had the weirdest frightmarish dreams on that stuff... holy cow.

Well thanks for answering my questions last year. It was good to hear from various of you about your experiences and I'm glad I finally got it done.

If anyone has any advice on speeding the recovery so that I can ride sooner, let me know. I hate being down like this. ;-)

Shawn

Glad to hear you're doing well. Don't get addicted to those Percosets. My friend is having issues right now.

Glad you are OK. I have ankylosing Spondilitis and have to have surgery like you when it gets bad enough. Good luck recuperating my friend!! Hang in there!

How may levels of your spine did you get fused and where? If you had more than one level done, did you get an external osteogenisis stimulator or did you get one implanted?

Glad to hear your on recovery
biggrin.gif

A year after I got mine done, I'm still glad I did it. I went on a 600+ mile ride 4 months after the surgery. Be patient, wear your brace, use the walker, and use the bone stimulator(prolly dont have it yet). Get lots of rest on the back, dont try to push it. Those bones have gotta fuse so be careful and dont try to do too much. Just start being a post ho
super.gif

Good to hear it worked out for ya. I could tell a diff right away also

Don't worry, you'll heal with time. If I can come back from this then you can come back from that.

Oh ... and like someone said, watch that painkiller addiction stuff - I had a heck of a time getting off Vicodin.

ADOCT06.JPG

(Black Bird Killer @ Mar. 17 2007,20:40)
wow.gif
Ouch johnny.  Looks bad
biggrin.gif
Suffice it to say I'm just happy to be here at all, let alone able to walk (I limp a little) and ride. Could have been so much worse.

If you really wanna freak out - check out the bottom two bolts of my X-ray.
crazy.gif

(johnnycrash @ Mar. 17 2007,18:45)
wow.gif
Ouch johnny.  Looks bad
biggrin.gif
  Suffice it to say I'm just happy to be here at all, let alone able to walk (I limp a little) and ride.  Could have been so much worse.

crazy.gif
wow.gif
OMG! did they break whey they were putting them in or was it after?

since we are showing pics .....heres mine. Best thing I ever had done!

phpBMIeikPM_1_.jpeg

wow.gif

(Rocketman @ Mar. 17 2007,13:30) Last year a bunch of you gave me some good advice on the spinal fusion.  I went round and round on whether to get the artificial disk or the fusion.

I really wanted the artificial disk because there would be no loss of motion.  But after waiting and doing more research, my doc was more hesitant to recommend it so I went for the fusion.  This is my first full day home...

There is a definitely difference.  No more pain going down my legs and no more of the numb/burning feeling.  But man percoset is a trippy drug.  I have had the weirdest frightmarish dreams on that stuff... holy cow.  

Well thanks for answering my questions last year.  It was good to hear from various of you about your experiences and I'm glad I finally got it done.

If anyone has any advice on speeding the recovery so that I can ride sooner, let me  know.  I hate being down like this.  ;-)

Shawn
Glad your feeling better. Take it easy and let the fusion's fuse...LOL You will be back in the swing in no time....Best of luck to ya!

(BlondeOnaBusa @ Mar. 17 2007,20:58)
(johnnycrash @ Mar. 17 2007,18:45)
wow.gif
Ouch johnny.  Looks bad
biggrin.gif
  Suffice it to say I'm just happy to be here at all, let alone able to walk (I limp a little) and ride.  Could have been so much worse.

crazy.gif
wow.gif
OMG! did they break whey they were putting them in or was it after?

since we are showing pics .....heres mine. Best thing I ever had done!
They broke at about the 18 month mark. April will be two years since the accident/surgery. The doc wasn't worried because it happened so far after the surgery, in fact he says it's a testament to how good I feel/active I have become that I broke the bolts. We're just doing X-rays every three months to make sure nothing is getting worse.

I get some pain but that's pretty much par for the course at this point.
beerchug.gif

wow.gif

My wife (the first one) had a spinal fusion... She was relentless with physical therapy no matter how much it hurt... She almost exactly what blondeonbusa had done as far as I can tell.

Guys - I'm doing great. It's Monday night and just read through these with my wifey. I'm down to 1 percoset every 6 hours and think I'll be off them by tomorrow. I'll see how the night goes. I walked for about 40 mins this morning with my brace. I do have to be more careful about my twisting though... I am getting a lot of rest, liquids, cut out the sugars, and taking all the vitamins and proteins to build up. i can tell its working.

My guts are finally working as of today. (Thank goodness!) That was a major pain. I'd love to see more x-rays. I don't have mine with me so its cewl to see and understand better.

They didn't take anything from my hip on this - they used the spinal crests on the two vertabra to create some bone mush in place of the disc. So far - I feel really healthy and that things are healing. Can't wait to ride!!

nite...
beerchug.gif

It's nice to hear some GOOD back surgery stories.

I've got a fragmented disk at L5-S1, herniated disk at C6-C7, and bulges at L4-L5, L2-L3, C5-C6. Most of it is disk degeneration and arthritis.
Been scared to even THINK of surgery.

Anybody else have success stories??

Back