Got some brand new BT016's

k03gsxr750

Registered
Few thoughts on my recent set of BT016's

Noticeably more steering effort then the Pilot Pure's that they replaced. They don't seem to "tip in" nearly as quickly as any of the Pilot lineup. Also because this is feels a bit heavier the brakes and acceleration don't feel quite as strong.

Another notable downside for you folks that mount your own tires, these were a BEAR to get on! This past weekend a friend of mine mounted new tires to both of our bikes (03 GSXR 750 and 05 GSXR750) My tires took somewhere in the range of 2 hours, 3 people and huge effort on all our parts (changing tires on the floor with 3 irons and rim protectors) We had his bike finished in the amount of time it took to mount just tires on my rims.

BUUUUUUTTTTT....they are so far great. While they aren't quite as quick to get over to the side they feel VERY planted. Also bumps that would make the upset the Pure and make the bike skiddish and bouncy this roll right through. I will update this thread as I add up the miles but so far so good.

Good stuff!!!

BT16's are great tires. What kind of riding will you be doing with them?

Little bit of everything, I am quite blessed to be living in one of the best places on the East Coast for motorcycle riding so quite a bit of hard back road blasting. Probably make 4-5 track days this year so at least one of those, as well the back and forth to work in Blanca Busa fashion here is a teaser of part of that ride to work
parkway.jpg
:whistle::lol:

Hopefully the tire will see some abuse playing at the Gap as well as some 2 up duty. :beerchug::cheerleader::beerchug:

I think you'll like your 16's. I've been a fan of the 16's since they showed up. I understand Bridgestone has updated the BT016 to the BT016 Pro which is available in Europe but not the US as I understand it.

I've mounted probably 50 sets of 16's and never had any issues but then I use an air powered machine that makes short work of it. I do know the fifty series tire is a bit more troublesome than the fifty-five series due to the shorter sidewall.

Give us your thoughts after your first track day!

Little bit of everything, I am quite blessed to be living in one of the best places on the East Coast for motorcycle riding so quite a bit of hard back road blasting. Probably make 4-5 track days this year so at least one of those, as well the back and forth to work in Blanca Busa fashion here is a teaser of part of that ride to work
parkway.jpg
:whistle::lol:

Hopefully the tire will see some abuse playing at the Gap as well as some 2 up duty. :beerchug::cheerleader::beerchug:

:drool:

these are the kind of roads i get to ride on :banghead:

straight.jpg

I suppose I thread jack my own thread right? Few more fun roads for my flat road friends! Open invite for anyone that wants to come see them first hand :thumbsup:

img_6045.jpg

l_5d0abaced07fb696f79baf51c935df87.jpg

l_86c9cc144b9281056939867e4d55af2c.jpg

Coming from BT014, I could add that they seem to last longer that the '14. The stability is great of course. Occasionally going over some rough pavement in turn, I am mentally ready for small slides, but nothing happens.

As to mounting, I use Harbor Freight portable tire changer with motorcycle attachment unit, and recently got no-Mar bar. All of this makes it a one man job. You gotta figure out a few kinks along the way, but after that it's going reasonably smoothly. I even got a gallon of tire lubricant on ebay, and tried it last time. I think it's better than soapy water.

As to mounting, I use Harbor Freight portable tire changer with motorcycle attachment unit, and recently got no-Mar bar. All of this makes it a one man job. You gotta figure out a few kinks along the way, but after that it's going reasonably smoothly. I even got a gallon of tire lubricant on ebay, and tried it last time. I think it's better than soapy water.

I looked for the tire changer at Harbor Freight and struck out, checked the website before I went in and had no luck there either. When I got the counter I asked about it and watched the poor guy's eye glaze over...urgh never mind dude back to sleep you go.

I used Windex, but I have also heard Pledge works well. If I had a way to keep the wheel still this would have been a million times easier.

I looked for the tire changer at Harbor Freight and struck out, checked the website before I went in and had no luck there either. When I got the counter I asked about it and watched the poor guy's eye glaze over...urgh never mind dude back to sleep you go.

I used Windex, but I have also heard Pledge works well. If I had a way to keep the wheel still this would have been a million times easier.

It does hold the wheel still, and the vertical rod in the middle is used as a pivot point for the bar. I had trouble inserting the No-Mar as they describe (bent the tip trying to catch the tire and pull it above the rim), so I use regular tire irons and rim savers for that step. But once the bar is there, it's half the turn and the tire is off. Same when putting the tire on - just need a clamp on the other side of the tire so the bead doesn't come off (I use a clamp from from Home Depot - it barely holds, but does the job - couldn't justify buying a pretty expensive clamp from No-Mar).

I am pretty sure that tire lubricant is better than soapy water and other stuff. 1 Gallon for something like $15 - $20 will last me many years.

It does hold the wheel still, and the vertical rod in the middle is used as a pivot point for the bar. I had trouble inserting the No-Mar as they describe (bent the tip trying to catch the tire and pull it above the rim), so I use regular tire irons and rim savers for that step. But once the bar is there, it's half the turn and the tire is off. Same when putting the tire on - just need a clamp on the other side of the tire so the bead doesn't come off (I use a clamp from from Home Depot - it barely holds, but does the job - couldn't justify buying a pretty expensive clamp from No-Mar).

I am pretty sure that tire lubricant is better than soapy water and other stuff. 1 Gallon for something like $15 - $20 will last me many years.
Motorcycle Wheel Balancing Stand & Other Motorcycle Tire Balancers - Harbor Freight Tools
image_4126.jpg

Motorcycle Bead Breaker
image_4201.jpg

I think we have our wires crossed, I only bought the truing stand and bead breaker as best as I can tell that's all HB sells anymore. I still need a stand to mount the wheel one. Also I bought 2 sets of the Bike Master rim protectors and managed to kill both with 4 tires. So I may have to re-visit the rim protector idea with your idea of No-Mar.

I also don't doubt for a second that the tire lub is a better route, forgetting that part of the process was a bone-head move and Windex just happened to be on hand to save the day.

Didn't know HF had a wheel balancer, its about half the price of others I've seen, how do you like it? Here soon I think I'm gonna buy this stuff and try to mount my first set of tires :errrr: Just a lil' scurred.

Have you guys looked at Redline's new wheel changing stuff, have any comments on that?

BTW definitely jealous of your roads. I'm 6 hours away, so close yet so far away :(

wow, looks like they discontinued the harbor freight tire changer.... too bad

Sure seems that way. I feel lucky I got it a few years back.

They are now sporting a couple of $1500+ semiautomatic units. I remember a few folks here bought one like that together. That would work for a bunch or riding friends living not far from each other.

There are a few funny looking motorcycle tire changers on ebay, but I can't figure out how they hold the wheel still.

you could probably make one with very basic metal working skills.

If I lived somewhere I could ride all year round I would definetly get one of those automatic setups.

I know there are a few very talented metal workers around the good 'ol oRg. Hopefully someone can toss in their .02 just in case I really like the 016's and want to try a different set otherwise the powers were SUPER easy.

Back